Asking Questions in Confession

When is the right time?

I usually ask after I have confessed my sins. Sometimes I will preface the question with, "if you've got a minute or two, I have a question..." or "i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this...". That way he can tell me "no" before I ask or suggest making an appointment, etc.

I try to be considerate of others when I use the confessional to ask questions. If there are 4 people waiting in line and 10 minutes left of the scheduled time, that would not be a good question-asking time. However, if I show up at 3:15 on a Saturday, half-way through the scheduled time, the confessional is empty, and no one appears to be waiting, then we probably have a few minutes.

I keep my question short...focussed. And after I have asked, I listen without interrupting. My confessor has excellent insight and advice, but it's not really a back and forth conversation.

[quote="acadian, post:2, topic:286599"]
I usually ask after I have confessed my sins. Sometimes I will preface the question with, "if you've got a minute or two, I have a question..." or "i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this...". That way he can tell me "no" before I ask or suggest making an appointment, etc.

I try to be considerate of others when I use the confessional to ask questions. If there are 4 people waiting in line and 10 minutes left of the scheduled time, that would not be a good question-asking time. However, if I show up at 3:15 on a Saturday, half-way through the scheduled time, the confessional is empty, and no one appears to be waiting, then we probably have a few minutes.

I keep my question short...focussed. And after I have asked, I listen without interrupting. My confessor has excellent insight and advice, but it's not really a back and forth conversation.

[/quote]

ok but what if you have a question about weather you have sinned or not? Should I just go ahead and confess it anyways and then ask at the end if it was actually a sin?

I usually ask the sin questions first and get them out, front and center. I save the general interest questions for after the absolution and then make it quick. Other people are waiting and the priest usually has to get ready for Mass. You can always call the office and ask to speak to a priest with a question; if the answer takes too long or you need more discussion, he will suggest that you make an appointment and come in for a chat.

[quote="Catholic1954, post:4, topic:286599"]
I usually ask the sin questions first and get them out, front and center. I save the general interest questions for after the absolution and then make it quick. Other people are waiting and the priest usually has to get ready for Mass. You can always call the office and ask to speak to a priest with a question; if the answer takes too long or you need more discussion, he will suggest that you make an appointment and come in for a chat.

[/quote]

so basically when it comes time to confess my sins I should first ask my question? if I think it may be sinful.

For me, I confess what I KNOW to be sins first. Before he absolves me, I would say something like, “And, Father, I did this too, but I’m not sure it’s a sin…” and then wait for his response.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:6, topic:286599"]
For me, I confess what I KNOW to be sins first. Before he absolves me, I would say something like, "And, Father, I did this too, but I'm not sure it's a sin..." and then wait for his response.

[/quote]

Yep! :thumbsup: I concur.

alright thanks to all that responded.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.