Asking Saints to Pray for Us

I tried to ask this question during Called To Communion with Dr. David Anders but got it in too late.

How can Saints hear our requests for them to pray for us with so many people asking for their prayers? Wouldn’t they need to be all knowing like God to be able to hear EVERY single prayer request?

I know it is possible but had someone ask me this and would like a good explanation as to how this is possible.

Thanks and God Bless! :gopray:

This Catholic Answers track responds to all of your questions: catholic.com/tract/praying-to-the-saints

And here is the section of the Catechism on the Communion of Saints: vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p5.htm

You need to give up human ways of thinking and doing business. Heaven is outside time, so it works.

Exactly.:thumbsup: And there are some things we are never going to understand how they are possible. But they are, and we know because prayers are answered.

Thanks Wesrock!

Still trying to figure out how to navigate Catholic.com for answers.

God Bless! :thumbsup:

Not only do Saints pray, they use their Spiritual Gifts to help people.

I agree Crusaderbear!

I never thought about the whole difference in time/space between Earth and Heaven.
Thank you for your response!

God Bless! :thumbsup:

Not only do Saints pray they use there Spiritual Gifts to help people. Everything they do is God’s will.

No. Because even if 15,328,497,237,812 prayers were being uttered in the same second, 15,328,497,237,812 is still a finite number.

However, what is clear is that “hearing” very many prayers at once would require an intellect that is not bound in the same way as the human intellect is on earth.

One way in which it is obviously different is that—outside of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who already has a glorified, heavenly body—the intellects of the Saints do not understand through the medium of matter. They grasp things in a manner that is purely spiritual.

How that functions is unknown to us. But I have to point out that the fact that we cannot provide a complete psychological analysis of a spirit in heaven is by no means relevant here. We can see that there is nothing logically contradictory in the idea of a glorified intellect grasping vast sums of data much differently from how an earthly intellect does.

Moreover, asking the question is a bit like asking how a Saint can hear prayers when they don’t have ears and since, besides, they are apparently out of earshot of the person praying. And what about silent prayers? How could you hear something that has no sound waves?

Don’t you need to BE God for such things? No. You just NEED God for such things.

God has the ability to infuse into my intellect absolutely whatever He wants. If He so chose, I could be fluent in every human language ever uttered in a mere 2.34 seconds.

The fact that I couldn’t do that on my own doesn’t affect whether or not I could do that with His help.

But ultimately, this question will go back to the question of sola Scriptura: if Saintly intercession is not Biblically taught to the subjective satisfaction of the Protestant, then they will be more likely to reject it.

So all of these question need to address sola Scriptura, too. We can find evidence in the Bible of how the glorified body is different from the earthly one, or how God uses intercession to give gifts of grace to certain persons, or how it appears that the prayers of the Saints in heaven rise before God’s throne like incense.

But if sola Scriptura is not examined, we will not be presenting the totality of the Catholic understanding of all of this.

Long story short and simple answer. Through the same omnipotent power by which finite men raised the dead, walked on water, healed the lame, knew the future etc… In heaven we will have infused knowledge. We will simply know what God wills us to know. We will not have to study to learn we will just know.

For the metaphysical aspect see bottom of link below.

catholic.com/magazine/articles/friends-in-high-places Tim Staples

I think they hear us through a spiritual wi-fi.

For example, I am wondering what the weather will be like tomorrow or what the current temperature is. I have to use my phone with an app on it to access that information. That information is readily available in the air all around me yet I can’t access it with my mind or body. It is here, I just have physical limitations that can’t decode it. The Saints do not have these physical limitations.

I believe we are connected to the Saints in heaven through Jesus’ body. We are all in Jesus’ body, the Body of Christ, those of us who are alive and those of us who have died. Jesus does not have 2 bodies, one for the living and one for the dead. We are one body, able to communicate with itself, throughout the body. I am sending out my prayers into the spiritual wi-fi if you will, and the Saints have an app of some sort (the Holy Spirit) that receives/translates it.

These are my own personal thoughts and beliefs, I don’t claim to be a scholar or authority on the subject.

18 See that you do not despise one of these little ones; for I tell you that in heaven their angels always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 10:18)

Sacred Scripture, such as the above verse, suggests that every Christian and perhaps everyone has at least one guardian angel.
12 And he dreamed that there was a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven; and behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it! (Genesis 28:12)

12 And so, when you and your daughter-in-law Sarah prayed, I brought a reminder of your prayer before the Holy One; and when you buried the dead, I was likewise present with you. 13 When you did not hesitate to rise and leave your dinner in order to go and lay out the dead, your good deed was not hidden from me, but I was with you. 14 So now God sent me to heal you and your daughter-in-law Sarah. 15 I am Raphael, one of the seven holy angels who present the prayers of the saints and enter into the presence of the glory of the Holy One.” (Tobit 12:12-15)

3 And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne. (Revelation 8:3)

Sacred Scripture, such as the above verses, also suggests that angels sometimes act as heavenly messengers taking our prayers to heaven. Remember the English word *angel *is from angelos, the Greek word for messenger.

So, one possible explanation is that our angels, acting as heavenly messengers, hear the prayers we pray to the saints in heaven and then go to heaven and repeat our prayers to the saints there in an orderly (sequential) and expeditious manner.

An alternative explanation is that God himself hears our prayers to the saints and then informs the saints of our prayers to them.

In either case, whether through the ministry of angels or through the action of God himself, there is a way for the saints in heaven to hear, at least indirectly, the simultaneous prayers of a number of people from different places around the world even though the saints in heaven are not omnipresent.

I wrote this and maybe it will help. The Intercession & Communion of Saints

Well, everything is possible through God. So, whether the dimensions of heaven in which the Saints now live (if there are dimensions) are similar or different to ours on Earth may need to be taken into consideration when thinking about how the receive the prayers. But once again, no matter how they hear our prayers, it is all by the grace and power of God working in and through them, and not of their own power. Additionally, the ability to hear prayers from all over the world does not necessarily equate to “all knowing”. Even if literally every single person on Earth was praying to the same saint at the exact same time, that is only a minuscule (mostly likely negligible) fraction of the total knowledge of God.

Even this server has ability to “hear” many requests in parallel. And it is just a piece of metal, plastic and semiconductor given this ability by mere humans. Very finite. Certainly not omniscient.

So, if we can give such ability to a piece of non-living matter, why can’t God give it to Saints?

As for “how” - why should it matter? And why should we expect to understand it? How many of users of this forum could give a detailed explanation of how the server works? And yet, it does work.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.