Asperges

Not sure what threads are. duh! :hmmm:
Hello everone! My question is:What is ASPERGES?
Thank you. I Love this forum.
Ellen

It’s a Latin word that refers to the ceremony done towards the beginning of Mass, which you’ve presumably seen, in which the priest sprinkles the congregation with holy water.

It’s also a french word for Asparagus :blush::p:D

Sorry I couldn’t resist :shrug:

Just had asparagus for dinner,
and I read the thread title as “Aspergers.”
Oh my.
Time to get off the computer!
:slight_smile:

The other image didn’t show up

http://www.jacobimages.com/gallery/d/5312-7/holy-water-blessing

Is using a straw aspergellum a liturgical abuse? You know, one like a mini broom.

No. In fact, that’s the most traditional way: with a brush made of hyssop (you know, as in Psalm 51 (50), where the “asperges me” comes from).

Cool, because the parish that did it has liturgical abuses galore. Anything out of the ordinary there usually IS a liturgical abuse. I’ve only ever seen the little ball like ones.

Being from the northwest I’m used to seeing everything from a “whishbroom” like object to a Douglas Fir branch. Holy water is holy water but I’m a little bit fussy about his issue. I prefer to see the priest use the Aspergilum either silver or gold plated. Our local NO parish has the Aspergilum but the priest rarely uses it or the Thurible. Mainly just plain vanilla Masses.

Here it is in latin with the english translation:

Aspérges me. Dómine, hyssópo, et mundábor: lavábis me, et super nivem dealbábor.
Miserére mei, Deus, secúndum magnam misericórdiam tuam.

Thou shalt sprinkle me, O Lord, with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall become whiter than snow.
Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy. [Psalm 50]

P.Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto.
P.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.

S.Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sæcula sæculórum. Amen.
S.As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Aspérges me. Dómine, hyssópo, et mundábor: lavábis me, et super nivem dealbábor.
Thou shalt sprinkle me, O Lord, with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall become whiter than snow.

Afterwards, the priests returns to the foot of the altar and says:

Osténde nobis, Dómine, misericórdiam tuam.
Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy.

S.Et salutáre tuum da nobis.
S.And grant us Thy salvation.

P.Dómine, exáudi oratiónem meam.
P.O Lord, hear my prayer.

S.Et clamor meus ad te véniat.
S.And let my cry come unto Thee.

P.Dóminus vobíscum.
P.The Lord be with you.

S.Et cum spíritu tuo.
S.And with thy spirit.

P.Orémus.
P.Let us pray.

Exáudi nos, Dómine sancte, Pater omnípotens, ætérne Deus, et míttere dignéris sanctum Angelum tuum de cælis, qui custódiat, fóveat, prótegat, vísitet, atque deféndat omnes habitántes in hoc habitáculo. Per Christum Dóminum nostrum.

*Hear us, O holy Lord, almighty Father, everlasting God, and vouchsafe to send Thy holy Angel from heaven, to guard, cherish, protect, visit and defend all that are assembled in this place: Through Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Also a video of the Aspérges:
youtube.com/watch?v=vBQVVqpriVc

I was told I might have Asperges Syndrome. It must have been something that sounded like that.:rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.