Assembly

Hi all,

I’m here to ask for help/guidance/opinions.

All ideas/feedback welcome.

I’m a teacher, and I have a Head of House role which means I have to give assemblies; the themes of which are decided before the start of the school year, and in which I had no say.

I’m to deliver an assembly in May on Discrimination, focusing on IDAHOT (the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia) - I did not know what this was until I Googled it. Whilst I appreciate I’m in no position to judge anyone else, it’s not my place, I do not work in a Catholic school, and I get the distinct impression I’m supposed to tell the pupils that being Homosexual is fine and that nobody else should have any issue with it.

If you were in my shoes, how would you go about delivering this assembly?

To preempt a couple of questions I might be asked:
No, I haven’t spoken to my priest about this yet, but I will.
No, I did not know that this would be on the plan, or that I would have to deliver this assembly before I took the promotion.
No, I’ve not spoken to any of the Senior Leadership Team about this, I’m not sure how to go about it without repercussions.
I live in England.

Thanks for reading, and thanks if you’re taking the time to reply.

Louise.

You can start with all people are made in the image and likeness of God and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their sexual orientation or lifestyle.

Just talk about suicide rates maybe and how bullying is never OK, give examples of what might be considered bullying, read some stories of experiences that kids like that have had. You should be able to make it an awareness of bullying talk without delving into the morals of it. But by all means a priest is the best person to ask.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.