Assent of Faith/Religious Submission?

I have heard this distinction made often, as can be found in the Code of Canon Law:

Can. 752 Although not an assent of faith, a religious submission of the intellect and will must be given to a doctrine which the Supreme Pontiff or the college of bishops declares concerning faith or morals when they exercise the authentic magisterium, even if they do not intend to proclaim it by definitive act; therefore, the Christian faithful are to take care to avoid those things which do not agree with it.

My question is, what is the difference between “assent of faith” and “religious submission of the intellect?” I cannot think of having one without the other.

[quote=michaelgazin]I have heard this distinction made often, as can be found in the Code of Canon Law:

Can. 752 Although not an assent of faith, a religious submission of the intellect and will must be given to a doctrine which the Supreme Pontiff or the college of bishops declares concerning faith or morals when they exercise the authentic magisterium, even if they do not intend to proclaim it by definitive act; therefore, the Christian faithful are to take care to avoid those things which do not agree with it.

My question is, what is the difference between “assent of faith” and “religious submission of the intellect?” I cannot think of having one without the other.
[/quote]

This reminds me of the joke:
Q: "What’s the difference between ignorance and apathy?"
A: “I don’t know and I don’t care.”

I think it’s the difference between saying “I believe wholeheartedly and completely agree” and saying “I don’t understand why this is and I have doubts about it, but I’ll take the Church’s word for it and not persist in disbelief”. The first is an assent of faith, the second is submission of the intellect to the wisdom of Mother Church.

God bless,
RyanL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.