Assertio Septem Sacramentorum

I was wondering if anybody knew if there are any existing copies of King Henry VIII’s Book against Martin Luther. I know that there some fragaments available online, But I want to know if there are any publiched and translated sources that have the entire text.

[quote=Turtullian]I was wondering if anybody knew if there are any existing copies of King Henry VIII’s Book against Martin Luther. I know that there some fragaments available online, But I want to know if there are any publiched and translated sources that have the entire text.
[/quote]

I don’t know the answer to your question. However, in one of the many lessons on the History of the Protestant Reformation, a pastor in my denomination would sometimes bring movies and books regarding the topics he discussed. One night, in discussing Anglicanism, a member of the church brought a copy of King Henry’s book. The pastor said basically, “look but don’t touch.” He hinted that it was very valuable, rare, and expensive to obtain.

Very likely, it hasn’t been published for eons, and if you find one, it either won’t be for sale, or it will be very expensive, like $5,000 would be a bargain.

There is a book store in Nashville, TN that will search for rare books. I’ve been there, they have some very expensive, old, rare books. I’ll try to find information for you, maybe a webpage.

[quote=Turtullian]I was wondering if anybody knew if there are any existing copies of King Henry VIII’s Book against Martin Luther. I know that there some fragaments available online, But I want to know if there are any publiched and translated sources that have the entire text.
[/quote]

There are - it is discussed and quoted by the late Father Philip Hughes S.J., in the first volume of his “History of the Reformation in England”, which was published in 1954.

From what I’ve heard, the King’s book was ghost written by Thomas More, at least in part.

tudors.crispen.org/credits_and_links/

[When the Reformation began, Henry VIII declared emphatically against it and in favour of the Pope. He even published a book against Luther, which was published under his name in 1521, but, as often happens in such cases, it was written by other people.
Although More was regarded as its author, he had only a small share in the book. When Henry VIII broke away from the Papacy, this book was a source of annoyance. The author of his book had now become a traitor.

Amongst other charges brought against More when he resigned his position as Lord Chancellor in 1532, was that “by his subtle sinister slights most unnaturally procuring and provoking the King to set forth a book of the Assertion of the Seven Sacraments and maintenance of the Pope’s authority had caused him, to his dishonour, throughout all Christendom, to put a sword in the Pope’s hand to fight against himself.”](http://www.marxists.org/archive/kautsky/1888/more/ch07.htm) ##

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.