Assistance required

one question I particularly feel the need to ask, as a seventeen year old girl is in terms of mucical interest and film are there just things I cannot do? If I go to the movies with friends and there just happens to be, as there usually are, an overtly sexual scene, what am I SUPPOSED to do? Am I supposed to feel offended and walk away, am i supposed to close my eyes, what? Where do I do I draw the line between when I am truly going against my faith on these matters and when I am just being plain ridiculous?

Thanks!

I think there is a difference between you yourself promoting something and when someone else is, even indirectly, promoting it to you. You can listen to or watch something you don’t agree with, excluding the obvious (porongraphy and such) without letting it change your mind. There is a lot of cultural pressure on girls to play the role of a sex objects. And there are many such things in our society that are really unavoidable, but I think if you just don’t let it affect you and keep your head and heart clear, than there’s no problem with watching movies that might get a little immodest. But if something just genuinely offends or bothers you, why would you be watching it in the first place? You know what you are comfortable with being around. Just listen to your instincts but remember just because someone tells or shows you something that doesn’t automatically mean you agree with it.

Just my two cents.

I would make sure that in the future I put in my :twocents: about choosing a movie. I would also choose movies that are PG-13 or under (actually, the movie industry has changed the ratings of movies, so I choose not to see any over PG, now, and none that are only PG but also say they have additional sex or violence - S or V) - this is true of TV now, too. If your friends continue to see movies that show more sex onscreen than you would like or pay for, I would absent myself from those films and simply state that you are bothered by them. If you are in a situation in which you are surprised by this just close your eyes and if it continues alot, leave.

its not that i am asking what do I chose to see, Im pretty good about that, I try to use my basic common sense when possible. My question is, perhaps I expressed myself incorrectly…is it wrong NOT to be offended by something? My religion teacher gave me a lecture for reading “Angels and Demons” I understood it wasn’t really a good choice of literature in terms of my faith, but as a human I wanted to read it and form my own opinion. Should I have just walked away when I was told it was wrong; it is a book after all!

Jesus in his love through the Church in her wisdom has the answers for you!!

Phil 4:8

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

1 Cor 6

“Everything is lawful for me,” 5 but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is lawful for me,” but I will not let myself be dominated by anything.
13 “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food,” but God will do away with both the one and the other. The body, however, is not for immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body; 14 God raised the Lord and will also raise us by his power. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take Christ’s members and make them the members of a prostitute? 6 Of course not! 16 (Or) do you not know that anyone who joins himself to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For “the two,” it says, “will become one flesh.” 17 But whoever is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. 18 Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body. 7 19 Do you not know that your body is a temple 8 of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? 20 For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thankyou that was, I believe, the sort of answer and guidance I was looking for! Thankyou very much for the help

God Bless :slight_smile:

I remember being your age and feeling uncomfortable watching scenes in movies that were of gratuitous sex (a lot tamer than nowadays!) and over 30 years later, I still feel somewhat uncomfortable with them.

I can’t tell you what should be offensive to you, but what offends me is the film maker’s, as well as the marketing machine’s need to throw in scenes just in order to get a PG rather than a G, a PG-13 or PG-17 rating instead of a PG or an R rating just to boost interest.

I’ve seen many, many otherwise great movies ruined by gratuitous sex scenes, and a few that were not. Take for example, the movie, “The Sting” with Robert Redford and Paul Newman. Redford’s character spends the night with the woman who was hired to “whack” him by the bad guys. You see her inviting him into her room…and see him waking up in bed (she had left already, getting ready to whack him later).

The audience KNOWS what happened. The director knows that we could figure it out. We didn’t need to see them, and we didn’t.
THAT’s intelligent film making, giving the audience credit for being able to use our imaginations (not in a dirty way) in order to fill in the blanks. Not trusting the audience to figure it out to me is insulting and offensive, not just the scene itself.

Same thing with the early James Bond movies. We all know that he ends up with one or more women in bed, but they don’t show gratuitous nudity or sex. We get the idea.

(Now whether or not we should be offended by the Bond character, who takes most every opportunity with pretty much every woman he meets…except Moneypenny :wink: , is a different story.)

And that’s another angle…should we be offended by movie or TV characters who are shown in bad behavior…bad guys killing people or Tony Soprano cheating on his wife? Yet another issue. That is what we should expect of their character, and we shouldn’t be surprised when it shows up in a movie or TV scene. It’s the unexpected and gratuitous scenes that are most problematic, as you eluded to.

Your religion teacher chose ‘Angels and Demons’? Is this at a Catholic school? If you’re uncomfortable with something, a good approach is to ask the one who chooses WHY they chose that particular book/movie/what have you. You might get some interesting discussion going that way. Then perhaps agree to discuss it again AFTER you’ve seen/read it.

There certainly are legitimate reasons to do so - if your teacher wants you to read Angels and Demons as an example of anti-Catholic urban myth (and poor quality literature to boot) then maybe.

Otherwise what is there to ‘form an opinion’ about exactly? Dan Brown’s work is certainly not truth, however you slice it, and not good literature by anyone’s standards who has any.

In fact if it’s anything like Da Vinci Code, I wouldn’t waste your effort.

Angels and Demons is a work of fiction as Dan Brown explicitly wrote on the front page. Personally I don’t know why people make such a fuss about it considering this.

How about if Dan Brown wrote a work of fiction that told the story of how your parents or your children - someone you love - did immoral and dispicable things. Would that be okay?

You’re probably going to hate me for saying this, but yes. As long as he clearly stated that it was fictional. I think about it as just rumors. They hurt but are very false and therefore not even worse mentioning.

Rumours (albeit false ones) do much more than just hurt - they drive people away from the Church. Even rumours made in fiction (there’s plenty of fiction out there about abusive priests and such, which just reinforces the stereotype that all priests are pedophiles).

Why should you tolerate ANYTHING, be it false or true, that drives Catholics away from Christ’s Church, or puts off potential converts to His Church from joining?

It’s simply unthinkable for me to tolerate ANYTHING that hurts the Church I love, or for that matter the family I love, be it rumour or real, be it presented as ridiculously-thinly-veiled fiction (c’mon, we know that Dan Brown wishes it were all true, that’s why he falsely claimed Da Vinci Code to be based on fact!) or not.

Chelsea… my heart goes out to you, hon. And to all young folks… who have so much evil forced down your throats in the media (movies, music, video games, TV). These “choices” were much less common, when I was your age. Although, they did exist.

I can remember my mother, years ago… took my sisters and me… to see the movie “Love Story”. Not only were there sarcastic comments, made about Catholics in that movie… but it was sexually explicit. My poor, naive mother… having come from an era where “Love Story” would have meant a wholesome, moral story of a romance between a man and a woman (i.e., Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy)… instead, got the shock of her life.

I can still remember her, grabbing all three of us (kids) by the shirts, and walking us briskly… through the dark, up the aisle and OUT the door. She then hunted down the theater manager and demanded her money back.

I had a similar situation, years later. While on a date with a boy I really liked. He took me to a movie, that had so much gore and violence, I thought I would vomit. Toward the middle of the movie… I couldn’t take it anymore… and I got up, and walked out to the lobby. So upset… that I had to wonder what kind of boy I was dating. We broke up, not long after that.

You may just have to get more “picky” about what movies you will go to… and what movies you won’t go to. And that is your right. So, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Don’t let anyone pressure you into attending a film, that you’re uncomfortable with.

Here is a website… where you can read what the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops have to say about films, before you attend. That way, you can decide if it’s something that you want to stay away from. I hope it will help you. God bless.

usccb.org/movies/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.