Assumption backed by scripture?

I was reading Scott Hahn’s book on Mary and I was intrigued by the part where he was arguing a point for the assumption but couldn’t come up with a good scriptural backing for it. I can’t remember if he ever really resolved that issue or not (it’s been a while since I read it).

Is there any such backing? I realize that this beilief is derived much more from Sacred Tradition than Scripture, but a good verse or two would really help when discussing this among Protestants. Regardless of any such backing, I would still believe in it, so I wouldn’t classify this as a ‘crisis of faith’, just a quandary I’ve been having.

Thanks for any responses!

This is a great tract, if you haven’t seen it:
catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0105sbs.asp

Peace be with you,
RyanL

Thanks! that pretty much answered my questions! I hadn’t come across that tract before, so once again, Thank You!

[quote=Ianjo99]I was reading Scott Hahn’s book on Mary and I was intrigued by the part where he was arguing a point for the assumption but couldn’t come up with a good scriptural backing for it. I can’t remember if he ever really resolved that issue or not (it’s been a while since I read it).

Is there any such backing? I realize that this beilief is derived much more from Sacred Tradition than Scripture, but a good verse or two would really help when discussing this among Protestants. Regardless of any such backing, I would still believe in it, so I wouldn’t classify this as a ‘crisis of faith’, just a quandary I’ve been having.

Thanks for any responses!
[/quote]

There is, but unless you understand Bible typology you will not appreciate it.

There is the Apostolic Constitution of Pius XII: Defining the Dogma of the Assumption which describes the Dogma.

Understanding the Assumption is dependent upon the other three Marian Dogmas and is difficult to treat alone. An understanding of Mary as the Mother of God is the first step, followed by the Perpetual Virginity, and then the Immaculate Conception.

You will not find a verse that specifically says “Mary was assumed into heaven.” But understanding the types of Mary such as the Ark of the New Covenant and the New Eve are helpful in understanding Mary’s proper role.

Here are some verses to consider:

Mt 27:52-53 "52 the tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, 53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.

If the saints of old were raised, is it unbiblical to think that Jesus would not raise His mother?

People being assumed into heaven is not unbiblical:

Gen 5:2424 Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.”

2 Kings 2:1111 And as they still went on and talked, behold, a chariot of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Eli’jah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.”

Jude 1:9 "But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, disputed about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a reviling judgment upon him, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.”

cont…

cont…

Undestanding Mary as the Ark of the New Covenant reaveals more when reading:

Psalm 132:88 Arise, O LORD, and go to thy resting place, thou and the ark of thy might.”

Rev 11:19-Rev 12:17

And understanding Mary’s faith as evidenced by Luke 1:45 “And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfilment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”

Jn 12:2626 If any one serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there shall my servant be also; if any one serves me, the Father will honor him.”

I think even protestants will agree that Mary served the Lord (i.e. “I am the handmaid of the Lord…”).

I hope this helps!

Peace,

MilesJesu

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.