Assumption of Mary

Does anyone know if this holy day of obligation is usually deferred to the nearest Sunday? I assumed it would be and I didn’t go to mass today.

I want to make sure I am more careful in the future.

Well, I can’t speak for all areas, however, here in Nashville it was not deferred. Friday, August 15th was a Holy Day of Obligation. I will be going to confession this morning myself. I choose to work 16 hours rather than take a day off and attend Mass. Your best bet in the future is to check your church bulletin, ask your parish Priest, or check your Bishop’s web site. God bless.

What is the earliest DIRECT reference to the Assumption of Mary?

I believe this thread has to do with Holy Days of obligation

If the holy day falls on a Saturday or a Monday, we don’t need to go. But if it’s a Friday, we do need to go.

I believe this dates from the 5th or 6th century…a relatively late date that will raise your skeptical eyebrows, I’m sure.

Look, you’re coming at this from the wrong direction.

First, we establish the infallibility of the Church.

Second, we recognize that the has Church declared the Assumption infallibly.

You can argue against the Assumption from just about any angle you want…you still can’t get around the simple fact that the Dogma has been infallibly promulgated.

So, if you want to argue against the Assumption of Mary, begin by proving that the Church is not infallible.

This will be a tall order for you.

You’ll post your opinions backed by verses from scripture. I’ll counter with other sciptures. We’ll disagree. That in and of itself is a case against the perspicuity of the Bible which undermines your belief in sola scriptura. Once that false doctrine falls, then you are left with little more than your own anti-Catholic “traditions of men” against Catholic Tradition concerning the Assumption.

That’s an argument that Catholics win handily every time.

Once again RC admirably represents RC. :thumbsup:

…win the gold… swim the Tiber…

Why are you getting so defensive? A Catholic, JustaServant, asked a question. He didn’t attack the doctrine. I took his question as sincere and simply wishing to learn more. Shouldn’t we give him that rather than assume the worst? Perhaps I’m naive, but I welcome respectful questions concerning our faith… from fellow Catholics or otherwise.

Especially since it appears the person who asked the question is a Catholic. It doesn’t seem we do much for the faith when we automatically assume the worst about people asking questions. :shrug:

To JustaServant, this should help answer your question: ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/AOFMARY.HTM

What are talking about? Um…I AM Catholic. I asked a simple question because I was curious.

On November 1, 1950, Pope Pius XII solemnly declared:
"By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and by our own authority, we pronounce, declare, and define it to be a divinely revealed dogma: that the Immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory"
So, to quote St. Augustine:
Rome has spoken; the case is closed

http://www.azfotos.com/countries_worldwide/europe/vatican/alamy-pictures/vatican-picture-by%20night_AJM515.jpg

Blessed Assumption day (yesterday).

Had to link my article again. :thumbsup:

Phil P

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.