Assumption of Mary

We know of course that Mary’s body was assumed into heaven.

We know that the human body requires certain environmental conditions to survive (e.g., oxygen, moderate temperatures, etc.).

So Mary’s body has to be somewhere that supports human life.

Location is defined by coordinates (i.e., xyz/GPS) plus time.

So is Mary’s body on earth somewhere in our future - since she is outside of time now in eternity?

I realize there is no definitive teaching on this matter, but this question could be fun to conjecture about.

Thoughts?

In the future, yeah, where all our spiritual bodies “are” (or will be)

Think of the RR bridge in Back to the Future 3.

BTW, the restored human aliveness will **not **have the familiar limitations we are used to; as pneumatikon soma, we will be immune to death.

ICXC NIKA!

A little flippant considering this thread is concerning Our Lady. :signofcross:

Did not intend it that way … I have a deep devotion to Mary … I’d just like to know where she is!

Jesus glorified was able to walk through the locked door to the upper room and appear/disappear at will on the road to Emmaus.

We will be able to do the same and will not be limited by time, space or the laws of nature.

There will be a new Heaven and a new earth with new laws of nature. Nature itself will be glorified and perfected - no sun yet eternal light, no more tears or pain, etc.

-Tim-

I think he wants to know where heaven is.

Interesting … thanks.

But was that an apparition of Jesus? Mary has appeared on earth as well but I thought that she must have returned to some other location after her apparitions.

When Adam/Eve were in the garden, as I understand it, this was a physical place on earth somewhere. So would we go there perhaps when we get our bodies back?

No! Jesus went to great lengths to demonstrate that He was not just an ‘apparition’ or a ‘ghost’, but was truly present physically! He ate fish, He invited (at least) Thomas to touch the nail marks in His hands… He was really there in the flesh!

The difference was that He was now in a glorified body, as we will all be at the end of time. I think what folks are trying to suggest is that Mary, too, has been glorified.

Mary has appeared on earth as well but I thought that she must have returned to some other location after her apparitions.

Yes, but not physically, in a way that people could touch her (AFAIK). Every appearance of Mary has been an apparition.

When Adam/Eve were in the garden, as I understand it, this was a physical place on earth somewhere. So would we go there perhaps when we get our bodies back?

No. In his ‘theology of the body’ lectures, St Pope John Paul II explains that we aren’t tryiing to go back to Eden, but rather, are moving forward to the ‘new heavens and new earth’ that will exist eternally. Eden is gone; heaven is coming…

Gorgias - great answers! Thanks!

The BVM was assumed body and soul into Heaven. The same Heaven where God the Father, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the Heavenly Hosts and all of the elect are. Only the BVM and Jesus have their glorified bodies in Heaven.

The idea of the BVM having a resurrection and glorified body is latent (although not explicit) in the dogmatic teaching on the Assumption.

St. John Paul II taught explicitly that the Virgin Mary died, (and so therefore was resurrected and assumed into Heaven in a glorified body.) Almost all of the Church fathers, and ancient tradition also teaches that the Virgin Mary first died before her Assumption. Therefore her resurrection and glorified body are implied.

Our Holy Mother was assumed body and soul into Heaven. And there Our Lady lives.

You’re welcome! :thumbsup:

Can you provide a citation of that teaching? My understanding of the matter is different: I’ve always understood it to be the case that the Church doesn’t claim that Mary either died or was assumed without experiencing death, but that it allows the question to remain unaddressed (at least, from a dogmatic standpoint).

[LIST=1]
[/LIST]

That is my understanding as well.

To my knowledge ONLY Jesus, Mary and Enoch entered heaven with their earthly bodies…right?

It depends on how you interpret “Enoch walked with God, and he was no longer here, for God took him.”

Also, don’t forget about Elijah. That’s one that requires interpretation, too, though – what does it mean that “Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind”? :wink:

If you want certainty, then we can be certain about Jesus and Mary…

Where is heaven?

I’d read that it means Enoch died – God took him, meaning death; and Elijah went up into one of the three heavens, this time meaning sky, where he was relocated.

Both of which are an individual’s interpretation, and not a doctrinal assertion of the Church. :thumbsup:

Does matter have to have Cartesian extension?
Even Aristotle didn’t think so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.