Assumption of Mary

How can I learn more to understand and defend the assumption of Mary. Also, often times I hear that Mary was just a “vessel” used by God to fulfill his purpose. Really diminishes her role, and how God would treat a child and servant of his who completed such remarkable tasks.

I would really like to have some better formulated information in my arsenal.

Maybe even some Vatican documents, other literature and recommended books, etc. someone can point me to.

Thanks and God Bless!

Have you read this tract yet?
catholic.com/library/Immaculate_Conception_and_Assum.asp

Yeah, my tiny article with objections answered based on Juniper Carol. :smiley:

Phil P

If Elijah, man that he was, ascended directly into heaven why would one think that the mother of Christ would not?

Day of the New Heaven and the New Earth. What a great day? Thanks be to God!

Actually Mary was assumed. She did not ascend. Only Christ ascended.

Correct, but it doesn’t change my point, right—if Elijah moved physically to heaven, why not Mary?

To call Mary a “vessel” is avery demeaning and potentially heretical term. Since often the term vessel is used by protestants to indicate that Jesus just “passed through” Mary, and that mary isn’t really His mother.

This is actually a form of Gnostic heresy, which many evangelicals seem to have slipped into in the eagerness to undermine Mary. Mary gave Jesus his body and humam nature

The tem vessel is also sometimes used to imply that Mary had no choice in what she did. This is also heretical In fact Mary had free will, and made her choice freely. God does not USE people as vessels against their will.

Contrary to what some people think, however, the Holy Virgin did die. Her soul and body were separated for a brief (undetermined) time.

All of the Eastern Churches, including those in communion with Rome, make it clear that Our Lady did die. The Icon of the Dormition of the Theotokos, showing the Savior receiving His Mother’s soul into His arms, illustrates this truth.

Furthermore, in the Roman office for the feast promulgated in 1950 when Pius XII dogmatized the Assumption, the fifth Matins lesson, quoting St. John of Damascus, says "But she yielded obedience to the law established by him to whom she had given birth, and, as the daughter of the old Adam, underwent the old sentence , which even her Son, who is the very Life Itself, had not refused." Lex orandi, lex credendi. If it’s in the liturgical formularies of the Church, it’s the teaching of the church.

I heard the priest say last night that Jesus and Mary were the only two to enter heaven with soul and body attached (he made the distinction between the ascension and the assumption, of course). Did he forget Elijah, or do I have the story wrong?

Hi Savio-

I think he may have forgotten Elijah.

8: And Elijah took his mantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground.
9: And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.
10: And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.
11: And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, **there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. **

Tim Staples has a great series on our Blessed Mother “The Gospel Truth About Mary”. It rocks! (I am neither Tim Staples nor an employee of Catholic Answers).

Fuel The Fire my brother!!!

There is much work to be done!

FTFW

Because we are told in the Sacred Scriptures that Elijah ascended into Heaven. Don’t you think that if God thought it was important enough to mention Elijah he would certainly mention his Mother?. I surly do.

Don’t you think that if Mary had died and remained on earth, that there would have been a church that claimed to have her remains?
I surly do.

Her body was probably hidden to protect it from being stolen

Putting onesself outside Apostolic Christianity and the Church leaves one in the dark about many things… may you be enlightened! :slight_smile:

I don’t think so, if you look into the history of the church, the churches loved to claim that that they were where an apostle or saint died, also, the bones of the saints and martyrs were venerated.

Your view of what might have happened, doesn’t fit in with history.

There is also what might be called the negative historical proof for Mary’s Assumption. It is easy to document that, from the first, Christians gave homage to saints, including many about whom we now know little or nothing. Cities vied for the title of the last resting place of the most famous saints. Rome, for example, houses the tombs of Peter and Paul, Peter’s tomb being under the high altar of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. In the early Christian centuries relics of saints were zealously guarded and highly prized. The bones of those martyred in the Coliseum, for instance, were quickly gathered up and preserved—there are many accounts of this in the biographies of those who gave their lives for the faith.

It is agreed upon that Mary ended her life in Jerusalem, or perhaps in Ephesus. However, neither those cities nor any other claimed her remains, though there are claims about possessing her (temporary) tomb. And why did no city claim the bones of Mary? Apparently because there weren’t any bones to claim, and people knew it. Here was Mary, certainly the most privileged of all the saints, certainly the most saintly, but we have no record of her bodily remains being venerated anywhere.

ummm, maybe because mary’s assu,ption was never mentioned in the bible. the bible does tell us elijah ascended, also Nob (i think) before noah ascended too (which is in the bible)

1. Mary was assumed into Heaven. It is in the Bible.

2. Elijah did NOT ascend; he was assumed also.Only Jesus ascended.

3. Re: Noah…Chapter & verse???

4. Nob?? :confused: Nob Hill?? Wynkem, Blynkem, and…??? Nob??? Chapter & verse, please…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.