Asteroid to Hit Earth in 2036

And unlike other reports, this one’s chance of hitting us is extremely high. Read on…

guardian.co.uk/space/article/0,14493,1660485,00.html

[font=Times New Roman]It’s called Apophis. It’s 390m wide. And it could hit Earth in 31 years time.

Scientists call for plans to change asteroid’s path Developing technology could take decades.

Alok Jha
Wednesday December 7, 2005

In Egyptian myth, Apophis was the ancient spirit of evil and destruction, a demon that was determined to plunge the world into eternal darkness.A fitting name, astronomers reasoned, for a menace now hurtling towards Earth from outerspace. Scientists are monitoring the progress of a 390-metre wide asteroid discovered last year that is potentially on a collision course with the planet, and are imploring governments to decide on a strategy for dealing with it.

Nasa has estimated that an impact from Apophis, which has an outside chance of hitting the Earth in 2036, would release more than 100,000 times the energy released in the nuclear blast over Hiroshima. Thousands of square kilometres would be directly affected by the blast but the whole of the Earth would see the effects of the dust released into the atmosphere.

And, scientists insist, there is actually very little time left to decide. At a recent meeting of experts in near-Earth objects (NEOs) in London, scientists said it could take decades to design, test and build the required technology to deflect the asteroid. Monica Grady, an expert in meteorites at the Open University, said: “It’s a question of when, not if, a near Earth object collides with Earth. Many of the smaller objects break up when they reach the Earth’s atmosphere and have no impact. However, a NEO larger than 1km [wide] will collide with Earth every few hundred thousand years and a NEO larger than 6km, which could cause mass extinction, will collide with Earth every hundred million years. We are overdue for a big one.”

[moderator’s note: Edited quote to 3 paragraphs. Please read the Forum Guidelines before posting]

[font=Times New Roman][font=comic sans ms]No technology has been left unconsidered, even potentially dangerous ideas such as nuclear powered spacecraft. “The advantage of nuclear propulsion is a lot of power,” said Prof Fitzsimmons. “The negative thing is that … we haven’t done it yet. Whereas with solar electric propulsion, there are several spacecraft now that do use this technology so we’re fairly confident it would work.”

[font=comic sans ms]The favoured method is also potentially the easiest - throwing a spacecraft at an asteroid to change its direction. Esa plans to test this idea with its Don Quixote mission, where two satellites will be sent to an asteroid. One of them, Hidalgo, will collide with the asteroid at high speed while the other, Sancho, will measure the change in the object’s orbit. Decisions on the actual design of these probes will be made in the coming months, with launch expected some time in the next decade. One idea that seems to have no support from astronomers is the use of explosives.

Prof Fitzsimmons. “If you explode too close to impact, perhaps you’ll get hit by several fragments rather than one, so you spread out the area of damage.”

In September, scientists at Strathclyde and Glasgow universities began computer simulations to work out the feasibility of changing the directions of asteroids on a collision course for Earth. In spring next year, there will be another opportunity for radar observations of Apophis that will help astronomers work out possible future orbits of the asteroid more accurately.

If, at that stage, they cannot rule out an impact with Earth in 2036, the next chance to make better observations will not be until 2013. Nasa has argued that a final decision on what to do about Apophis will have to be made at that stage.

“It may be a decision in 2013 whether or not to go ahead with a full-blown mitigation mission, but we need to start planning it before 2013,” said Prof Fitzsimmons. In 2029, astronomers will know for sure if Apophis will pose a threat in 2036. If the worst-case scenarios turn out to be true and the Earth is not prepared, it will be too late. “If we wait until 2029, it would seem unlikely that you’d be able to do anything about 2036,” said Mr Yates.

Very big chance of hitting us. Hopefully our governments get their acts together and actually formulate something to do about it.[/font][/font][/font]

Wow… i guess the movie “Armaggedon” is true! :smiley:
If God willing, that asteroid is not the way he’s going to end earth, then He can just put it away. but people would rush by at confessionals at least. :smiley:

Let see, the chance of this happening is, according to the article:

The chance of Apophis passing through the keyhole, a 600-metre patch of space, is 1 in 5,500 based on current information

Of course, they were saying earlier that this asterroid would also hit is 2029.

PF

By that time, if I lived, I would be 107. Hopefully I will be gone to my eternal reward by then.

It’s Bush’s fault.

I’ll be 79 in 2036. This is great to know, it certainly helps me with my retirement planning and managing my 401K.

[quote=Ahimsa]It’s Bush’s fault.
[/quote]

:rotfl:

I’ll be 53 in 2036. A little early for eternal retirement, but…I guess I wouldn’t have much choice in the matter, either…oh well. People have predicted stuff like that for ages. Our Lord said that we don’t know the day or hour…

[quote=Milliardo]And unlike other reports, this one’s chance of hitting us is extremely high.
[/quote]

While this one has a higher probability then other recent ones, no one is classifying the probability as extremely high. The number of other objects it could collide with before that date is staggering.

[quote=2shelbys]While this one has a higher probability then other recent ones, no one is classifying the probability as extremely high. The number of other objects it could collide with before that date is staggering.
[/quote]

Well, it’s still better to be prepared rather than shrugging it and finding out it’s already 2036 and we can see that massive asteoid with the naked eye. An awe-inspiring and fearful sight, and many of us hanging our heads for not making any contingency plans in averting a catastrophy that will, in every way, end the human race.

Hey, if this asteroid would hit us,and then we all die, then How would the last judgment happen? :confused:
If we become extinct, God might create a new world again, then send Jesus again because, of course, we’re all dead and no one will survive to tell about Christianity! but wouldn’t that make his final coming the third coming instead of the second coming? (come to think of it, if people were recreated by God they would think what i said as the third coming as the second coming)

[quote=patrick456]Hey, if this asteroid would hit us,and then we all die, then How would the last judgment happen)
[/quote]

on the Last Day Jesus will come to judge the living and the dead, so it won’t much matter, will it?

Hey, if the asteroid hits, we all die. so i guess there’s no more “living” then. only “dead”. :smiley:

Well as food for thought, some interpretations of prophecy seem to be something concerning an asteroid hitting earth. Some Biblical, others Marian and by other Catholic saints and mystics… don’t know for sure… but I guess this would seem right on schedule. But it’s wise to note that there have been other asteroid claims in the past and the course gets altered… Unless of course this is the same one that was reported back then… But frankly I feel there’s a better chance of another world war breaking out before then…

Wow. :eek:

A lot can happen in 31 years, though. If anything is going to wipe us out, it might happen before this asteroid hits, if it even hits at all.

Thank goodness, I am so ready to get off this planet!!!

In all serious ness on the slim chance that it does hit us it isn’t a life ender, I wonder if this is covered by home owners insurance.

Aww I’ll only be 46, thats a bad deal :D. Assuming I live that long of course :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Weekly World News must be having a field day (finally, something that might actually happen!)

Edit: The funny thing is that the date it was slated to hit before further calculations was Friday the 13:)

I’ll be 83 in 2036. I won’t care what happens.

[quote=Celeste88]I’ll be 83 in 2036. I won’t care what happens.
[/quote]

Oh, you’ll care…you just won’t hear it properly.

“What? We’re going to be hit by Hemmorhoids? Oh, great, like I need that!”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.