At a mall for dinner. Here early. what to do?

I’m at a mall (at the time of writing). I’m going to dinner with friends and stuff. However, we have time to spare. In this case, am I aloud to look around the mall im shops and possibly by a few things? I’ve gone to mass, so that’s not a concern…

As long as you aren’t making irresponsible choices with your finances, then you are just fine.

and it is air conditioned, a good place to be
104 here today
walking around the mall is no better or worse than walking up and down the city streets but cleaner, cooler and safer

Sit down, have a cocktail or other beverage, and talk about how to become more holy.

Seriously. Ask them the question, then have the conversation.

~Liza

Well of course you are!

Personally at least, I don’t shop on Sundays.

Excuse my ignorance but why is it wrong to shop on a Sunday? :confused:

Is this considered work?

I’m not aware of any current Church laws on the books which explicitly forbid buying and selling on Sunday, but it’s my impression it’s been classically considered a violation of the Sunday rest. Consider the “blue laws” requiring stores to stay closed on Sundays, which were still in place in some parts of the United States only a few years ago (don’t know if there are any parts of the country or the world where they still exist). I also understand that no buying or selling on Sunday was part of St. Olaf Haroldson’s “Chrisitian Laws.”

Also here’s something I found real quick in the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia:

“The obligation of rest from work on Sunday remained somewhat indefinite for several centuries. A Council of Laodicea, held toward the end of the fourth century, was content to prescribe that on the Lord’s Day the faithful were to abstain from work as far as possible. At the beginning of the sixth century St. Caesarius, as we have seen, and others showed an inclination to apply the law of the Jewish Sabbath to the observance of the Christian Sunday. The Council held at Orleans in 538 reprobated this tendency as Jewish and non-Christian. From the eighth century the law began to be formulated as it exists at the present day, and the local councils forbade servile work, public buying and selling, pleading in the law courts, and the public and solemn taking of oaths.” [Emphasis mine]

oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Sunday

Causes others - creates a demand and a need - for others to work, yes?

I think it is fine, because what some people don’t realize is that many people need to work all seven days of the week just to make enough money to get by. Especially in the economic situation we find ourselves today.

Not so…there are some professions that need to remain open on Sunday…some pharmacies, police, some health care places, fireman.

But for the most part…we’ve “convenienced and consumed” our way into thinking that we need to work on Sundays.

Chick-Fil-a has found the balance.

My son would have significantly less money for college if he had not worked Sunday’s. Significant meaning a few thousand $$.

When I was putting myself through college I had to work every day I wasn’t at school (when I was at school I went from generally 8 in the morning until 10 at night) just to get by. People don’t get that some people need to work Sundays just to make sure they have food in their mouth and a roof over their head. Also my Mother had to work 3 jobs when raising my sister and I just for us to get by, so yes she had to work Sundays as well as every other day of the week.

Well everyone’s case is different. But one answer for some people really intent on living in the spirit of poverty and detachment even in college, might be to lower one’s needs. Fewer pizzas, more walking, less toys, less music, clothes, more coupons, fewer brand names, fewer movies, less eating out, used clothes, over a year these really add up to thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Well, he has a computer that is required for his classes. He has a phone and iPod but I bought those for him and he is on my fAmily phone plan. He owns 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts (all purchased from Target) and about 10 shirts he cycles through. He hates shopping for clothes, and he is very tall and slim, so he must be along to try clothes on. He will not have a car on campus (he required one to drive to high school though since it was a Catholic school 10 miles in the opposite direction from my job).

He is using his money to pay for college tuition and books.

Sounds like you have a very thrifty, hardy, and enterprising son. Well done!! God Bless you and him. Another reason for hope.

I am in the Marine reserves…and when I deploy and come back I always bend my wife’s ear about how good these gents are. Hardy, hard working, self-sacrificing. Love it.

He definitely is hard working! He offers to work as many shifts as he can, graduated with a 3.9 taking 7 AP classes his senior year. He wants to change the world, and I believe he just might do it!!

If you don’t shop on Sunday to honor God and as an act of charity toward your neighbor, who may have to work because their employer insists, God will be pleased with that. If we practice being faithful in little things, we gain the spiritual muscles to accomplish greater challenges. Offering things like this, especially when it goes against the grain of the surrounding secular culture, can gain merit and graces for ourselves and those who are struggling today, or don’t yet know and love God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.