At Mass, Why Does the Priest Put a Small Piece of the Body of Christ into the Precious Blood?

After Mass today, the lady in front of me turned and asked me if I knew why the priest puts a small piece of the Body of Christ into the chalice with the Precious Blood. I’ve been a Catholic for almost 40 years, and I’ve often wondered about this myself. I was a bit embarassed to tell her that I didn’t know. But I told her I would try to find out. Does anyone here know the answer? :blush:

Thank you and God Bless!

The Mass is a sacrifice. The separate consecration of the Eucharistic species (ie. bread & wine) represents the physical death of Christ - the separation of His Body from His Blood. When the Priest takes and ‘rejoins’ the Body & Blood of Christ by putting a small particle into the chalice he is calling to mind Christ’s glorious resurrection - the reunification of Christ’s Body with His Blood - if you will.

I know there is another significance to this too but it’s not coming to mind right now.

That is a really good question!! I’m sorry I don’t know the answer, but may I suggest posting this under “Ask an Apologist”? That way a priest or sombody who really knows might be more inclined to see the question. I’ve never thought about it, so I’ll definietly be following this :slight_smile:

moodycatholic.com/Q14.html

The second meaning I was thinking of is that it’s a reminder that Christ is fully present under either species.

Thank you all for your wonderful answers! I have printed them and will give them to the lady at church.

And how wonderful is our beautiful Church! What an incredible gift from the Lord! Each small movement, each word is resplendent with the love and glory of our God.

Dear Jesus, I thank You most of all for dying for me and for coming to me in Holy Communion! Oh Lord, I am not worthy . . . . :highprayer:

Amen to that :thumbsup:

When a nun friend of mine told me this a while back I was absolutely floored. Of course I know about the Sacrifice of the Mass and participate in it as such, but I don’t know the particulars of everything. This is beautiful.

The conmixture, as it’s called, appears in all the classical liturgies, East and West.

This suggests to me it’s something that came down from the Apostles.

Then you’ll absolutely love the book, “How Christ Said the First Mass” by Tan books.

I’ve never got around to finishing it as each page is so chock full of meaning it would take a long time to properly digest such a work.

tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/237/

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I am downloading it from Barnes & Noble’s e-book section right now! And it’s completely free. What a deal. I will add it to my list of books to read!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.