At the end of Adoration

I have two questions: What happens at your church/chapel at the end of adoration time?

At our church we have Adoration once per week. We have at least one person assigned each hour–typically a few more show up. I am the 2nd person during the last hour but often the only one there. One of our priests will always do Benediction, the Divine Praises the whole 9 yards, the lay assistant simply reposes, and our other priest reposes with no blessing either. Often that priest comes in to pray and I guess loses track of time and frequently “ends” late. After many weeks I kindly said that perhaps he didn’t realize that ending even 10 minutes later than scheduled could be a hardship for those of us with kids and 2nd jobs. He told me to just leave if I wanted to (if he was there). I suppose I will do that in the future on the weeks I HAVE to be somewhere, but should I have not said anything? I think that perhaps he doesn’t realize that many of us keep very busy schedules. I LOVE my time with the Lord but I have other obligations too. The extra 10 minutes can make me 20 minutes late to pick up my kids. I meant no offense but this priest tends to be oblivious of time in general. What happens other places I wonder?

If you have to leave, just leave. It obviously isn’t seen as a big issue by the priest, and I’m sure he wouldn’t want youf child to be upset.

Perhaps he likes those few moments alone in the church.

True. I think God would understand too. Seriously, your child’s happiness means a lot to God. Adoration is so wonderful and at my church many attend. Some even do Stations of the Cross during it. Me included!

If the priest is there and the Blessed Sacrament will be reposed and not left unattended, I’m unclear why you don’t feel free to leave when you need to. Maybe I misunderstood your question…

This is reasonable – he is able to do this.

the lay assistant simply reposes

This is also reasonable – as a member of the laity, he does not have the faculties to perform Benediction.

and our other priest reposes with no blessing either.

This, strictly speaking, is fine, too. Although he has the faculties to do Benediction, a simple reposition is licit.

Often that priest comes in to pray and I guess loses track of time and frequently “ends” late. After many weeks I kindly said that perhaps he didn’t realize that ending even 10 minutes later than scheduled could be a hardship for those of us with kids and 2nd jobs. He told me to just leave if I wanted to (if he was there).

Correct. We want to ensure that Jesus, in the Eucharist, is not left alone during exposition. Once the priest is present in the pews, you can leave, if you need to be elsewhere.

I suppose I will do that in the future on the weeks I HAVE to be somewhere, but should I have not said anything? I think that perhaps he doesn’t realize that many of us keep very busy schedules.

Perhaps he didn’t realize that you were under the impression that you needed to stick around until he was finished? (You don’t, BTW. If he were doing Benediction, then I’d see your point, if you were the only person in the church. But, since he isn’t… :wink: )

I meant no offense but this priest tends to be oblivious of time in general.

Hmm… I think, if I came across a priest praying before the Eucharist exposed, I might not characterize it as “he’s oblivious to time”… :shrug:

Thanks everyone. I’ve been going for years and the person in the last time slot always stays till the “end” which has always been at a certain hour. And it’s always been timely. It’s just been recently that this particular priest has been “late” pretty consistently. I didn’t want to be rude and leave since that’s just never been done-if you’re there you stay till it’s over. I know that certainly the presence of a priest is all that is needed. I’m glad I spoke to him so that if/when I leave in the future he will understand.

I do know all the ways of reposing etc. are licit. I was also curious what happens in other places. I know our pastor prefers that there be benediction if there is a priest there. I’m not sure why the one priest doesn’t do it. It’s always a treat when we get to experience that sort of prayer. What does your church do?

Hmm… I think, if I came across a priest praying before the Eucharist exposed, I might not characterize it as “he’s oblivious to time”… :shrug:

Georgias Thank you for your careful replies. I agree a priest in adoration is a lovely thing-I forget about time too (once even snoozed). I mean that in other circumstances this priest is oblivious to time. Perhaps I’m going to drive him somewhere. I arrive at the designated time and we leave nearly an hour later, or a visit to religious ed classes comes with 3 minutes left in the class, stuff like that. He’s a kind man but I think sometimes time is not especially on his radar :slight_smile: For better or worse in my vocation as a mother I’m the minute minder.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.