At the general judgement

It is (I believe) Catholic teaching that all of our works, both good and bad, will be revealed in a “public” way, so to speak … that we will be aware of one another’s judgement and intimatly aware of the reasons for that judgement.

Any thoughts there?

And specifically, can anyone direct me to some good documentation of this. I didn’t find much int he Catechism.

I’m curious to know if Lazarus experienced the general judgement prior to his being raised from the dead by Jesus. I find this an interesting question because I was always under the impression that he later died again after his being raised from the dead (i.e., died twice).

He wouldn’t have experienced the general judgement - that comes at the end of the world. He may have experienced a particular judgement of some sort.

Hi awfulthings,

You might enjoy this article in the Catholic Encyclopedia.
newadvent.org/cathen/08552a.htm

There don’t seem to be many official doctrines or dogmas regarding the general or last judgement. This is the only defined dogma I found: "Christ, on His second coming, will judge all men. (De fide) This truth is contained in our creeds (eg. Apostle’s Creed, Nicene Creed.)

Regarding all our acts being made “public”. Scripture says:
Mt 10:26 "So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. ( Also Luke 12:2; 1 Cor 4:5:wink:
I guess what I notice about the above passage is that it speaks of things that are “covered”, or “hidden”. I tend to think that when we confess our sins, we no longer trying to hide or cover them up. Thus, perhaps, confessed sin that has been forgiven would not be exposed publicly to all. God’s words in the Old Testament come to mind:
*Isaiah 43:25 "I, I am He who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.

Jeremiah 31:34b … for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more*."

Also in Mt 25: 31:46 (sheep and the goats), where Jesus describes the Last Judgement, note that only the good deeds of the saved are spoken of (altho everyone, except Mary, would have sinned at some time).

Nita

oops…you’re right.

Sorry, I got my terminology mixed up… :o

I guess my question is for another thread concerning Lazarus and the particular judgement, if there is such a thread around.

You should find this article helpful:

The Last Day and General Judgment
rosary-center.org/ll49n6.htm

By the way, I’d highly recommend ALL the articles on that page.:thumbsup:

Rosary Light & Life Newsletter
rosary-center.org/ntrll.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.