At the heart of Christianity is

At the very center of Christianity is it proper to say that it is a person or a people who live what Jesus taught. In other words they don’t think like Jesus but they actually do what he did.

2 Likes

As a non-Christian, I view Christianity as a religion whose core value is expressing love toward others in whatever way possible, including even one’s enemies. Of course there is essential dogma, which include the very nature of G-d, and doctrines which are dependent on the type of Christianity. But love toward G-d and others is, to me, the most fundamental moral value in Christianity.

5 Likes

The heart of Christianity is the Resurrection of Christ in the most important way, for Christians. But for what you’re asking about I would say that the heart of Christianity in the civil realm is classical liberalism. I think that Catholicism and classical liberalism go together like peas and carrots.

1 Like

The heart of Christianity is summarized the Creeds and actions flow from what they summarize.

At the heart of Christianity, is the Incarnation of the Logos whose perfect love and obedience for the Father, even to death on a cross, redeemed humanity.

Thinking like Jesus and and doing like Jesus is inseparable.

To do like Jesus one needs to think like Jesus. And if one truly thinks like Jesus they’ll do like Jesus automatically.

The book of James, chapter 1 (the whole book is important, here is a snip):

http://www.usccb.org/bible/james/1

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, his religion is vain.

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

2 Likes

Surely the heart of Christianity would be their version of the ‘golden rule’ in the sense of the observable?

Yes… & no.

At the heart of Christianity is surrendering our will to His, so as to be conformed & aligned to Him. Then yes, you will think like Christ & you will do what he did.

There are many expressions of what that “looks” like. St Therese, St Mother Teresa, St Juan Diego are some of my favorites.

I agree with this.
‘John said to him, “Teacher, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, * and we forbade him, because he was not following us.” But Jesus said, "Do not forbid him; for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is for us.’ John 9:38-40

1 Like

I agree too.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.