At what age can someone ask to baptized without parents consent

I was married in the church, my 6 year old really wants to be baptized in the Catholic Church my wife won’t let her because she wants her to wait until she as at least 13

She can be baptized with only the consent of one parent, though it might cause quite a problem in your marriage. If she’s over 7 when she’s baptized, she’ll have to be catechized, often through a child-friendly version of RCIA.

The Church requires consent of one parent for baptism of an infant (those below the age of reason). A child above the age of reason (approximately 7 to 8 years old) is an adult as it pertains to baptism, and can ask for it themselves.

That is what I was thinking I have 2 kids 3 and 6 years old they both think our priest is a great guy and they know him well. He is very approachable for them; he has even been to our home twice for dinner. I know my wife would be ok if they were baptized in the catholic church she just wants it to be there choice not mine alone

By delaying Holy Baptism the children are not able to receive the sacraments of Holy Confirmation, Holy Conmunnion, and Holy Reconcilliation. There is greater risk of death without being in the state of grace.

I am going to stick my nose in where it doesn’t belong.

If your child, at the age of 13 or 14, is in serious need of an orthodontist (OK, so maybe that is redundant…) and the dentist says so, the orthodontist says so, their delay could case serious harm to the bone growth in their jaw, and they don’t want to go to the orthodontist, is your wife going to let them make the choice?

Part of the issue seems to be “choosing Christ”, and I suspect she does not see that baptism is anything more than an ordinance and a “membership card”. She also probably missed the part about the “whole family” joining the Church, in Scripture.

Ultimately some of this is going to have to be hashed out between you and your wife. Will she acquiesce to something you believe is seriously important? Or is she adamant? None of us can guage the tension that either this is currently causing, or will cause if you impose baptism without coming to some understanding. Part of it will be how important it is to you, and how much your wife is willing to concede something to you.

Not sure what her background is, or how important it is to her - does she go to Mass with you on a regular basis? Does she belong to a church, and does she go on a regular basis to their services?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.