At what age do those considering priesthood start talking with a spiritual director?

I know that those considering the priesthood or any other religious life must consult a spiritual director under their best interest. Now, at what age do those considering a religious life consult a spiritual director if they feel a call in their high school years? Do they usually consult one during their high school years? What does a spiritual director do with those persons?

About the same time they are starting to consider colleges would make the most sense.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:1, topic:237571"]
I know that those considering the priesthood or any other religious life must consult a spiritual director under their best interest. Now, at what age do those considering a religious life consult a spiritual director if they feel a call in their high school years? Do they usually consult one during their high school years? What does a spiritual director do with those persons?

[/quote]

Hi im 18 and just recently got accepted to the seminary and Well for me i started discerning in my junior year of high school. But it wasnt until the begining of my senior year of high school that i felt i needed some direction. My vocation director recomended me to someone and boy was it great! Its hard for guys that are young that are looking for directors because some think we know any better but i am greatful that my director took me under his wing and guided me through my vocation. He knew i was in high school but he still treated me the same as he does others in spiritual direction. Dont fear! Ask around even though your young, if they know you are discerning the priesthood they will gladly help you!!

You start consulting a spiritual director as soon as your far enough along the discernment process to be able to say freely and honestly “I sincerely think there is a possibility I am called to the Priesthood”, in my case, it was about 6 months into my discernment process, and the vocations director about a month or so after, it would have been almost instantly, however I was scared of taking that formal step into the discernment process.

You are not alone brother in the long road of discernment, I am taking the final step before seminary (at the advice of my spiritual director), and taking an extended private retreat to a seminary (probably OLGS of the FSSP), where you live at the Seminary, and take the whole time your there to pray, and you will come away from that (hopefully) with more certainty.

May God Bless you in this Easter Season!

Christ is Risen!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.