At what point have you drunk to a mortally sinful extent?

I had a drink this afternoon. When I began to feel the effects, I checked online and realize that I might already be over the legal limit to drive. I poured the rest back into the bottle. As I said, I do feel some of the effects, but I do not feel seriously impaired.

I’m scrupulous and I went to Confession this morning. The Priest told me to wait 15 days until my next Confession, although I believe he said that I can go earlier if I commit a mortal sin (he has an accent so I’m not sure). Judging when drinking becomes mortally sinful is a question for me, and I feel caught between waiting the 15 days to take this to Confession, and wanting to confess this tomorrow so that I don’t despair that I’m not in God’s Grace for over two weeks and feel that I can receive the Eucharist.

i think you're ok. also, notice that you stopped yourself when you realized it might be too much. that's more than a lot of people would do. as to how much is too much, it depends on the individual. alcohol affects people very differently depending on a variety of factors. for a lightweight like me, one or drinks would probabloy the limit (i don't know actually, i don't drink) but that would be my guess. whereas a 250 lbs male could probably have quite a few without anything happening.

Unless you fully and willfully intended to get drunk enough to amount to a grave sin, then you should be alright to not confess this at all. Remember there must be 3 elements for something to be a mortal sin.

The sin must be a grave sin to begin with.
You must know that it is a grave sin.
You must do the sin of your own free will (to me that would include not being influenced by drugs, alcohol or intimidation of any sort)

In the future, ask yourself these three questions when you think that you need to confess something and you will know if you have a mortal sin that needs to be forgiven.

I have always understood it to be drinking to the point where one has lost control of his faculties, speaking and acting in such away that endangers or hurts himself or others, either physically or emotionally.

[quote="Robnv, post:1, topic:339187"]
I had a drink this afternoon. When I began to feel the effects, I checked online and realize that I might already be over the legal limit to drive. I poured the rest back into the bottle. As I said, I do feel some of the effects, but I do not feel seriously impaired.

I'm scrupulous and I went to Confession this morning. The Priest told me to wait 15 days until my next Confession, although I believe he said that I can go earlier if I commit a mortal sin (he has an accent so I'm not sure). Judging when drinking becomes mortally sinful is a question for me, and I feel caught between waiting the 15 days to take this to Confession, and wanting to confess this tomorrow so that I don’t despair that I’m not in God’s Grace for over two weeks and feel that I can receive the Eucharist.

[/quote]

When you lose control over yourself you have had too much. It seems as if you we're very in control.

I'm not sure why people would drink at all if they did not get a slight euphoria or sense of relaxation.

I’m the original poster and I’m concerned that by discussing what has occurred in my Confessions, I have violated the Seal of Confession…

Only the priest is bound by the Seal of the Confessional. He may not divulge what you tell him to anyone else.

You, however, are free to discuss whatever you talked about with anyone you want. There is no sin involved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.