At what point is showing up to Mass too late?

I understand that being at Mass for the whole time is essential. However, the other day I was going to the scheduled one o’ clock mass and arrived at 1:03p after I got out of confession. They were already starting the gospel reading. This makes me think that they started Mass early as this is a very busy cathedral with many masses, events and even construction going on at the same time. Sometimes they need to switch things around.

I stayed for Mass and received Communion. Should I not have received? At what point is it too late to arrive to Mass and fully participate? Just wondering if there is a guideline. (This was a weekday mass and not a Sunday obligation, if that matters)

Quick Mass if it had started at 1pm. I’d hold myself accountable for the 3 minutes AT THE MOST. But if confessions are heard at the same time as the Mass, I don’t know why you consider yourself not at that Mass. In any case it doesn’t sound like a grave matter to me.

I personally think one should be at mass for the bell and beginning hymn. I pride myself on never being late :wink:

Well goody for you.

We have to differentiate between Sunday/HDO Mass and Daily Mass. Since daily Mass isn’t required, you can attend as little or as much of it as you like according to our priest from the FSSP.

Sunday and HDO, according to a number of moral theology manuals, one must be at Mass when the chalice veil is being removed (iow: the Offetory), since that is when the actual “Mass” begins. There used to be a bell run when the chalice veil was being removed to sinal the smokers outside to get inside to not miss their obligation.

Also, if you’re going to confession during Mass, you are considered morally present at Mass.

What I was told by my Confessor one time was that if it is a weekday Mass, you don’t need to worry about being late unless you have already received Holy Communion on the same day; you can actually arrive just in time for Holy Communion, and there is no sin. He doesn’t recommend making a regular habit of this sort of thing, of course, since it’s distracting to others when people do this, but in your situation, you would have been fine.

He explained to me that, technically, you have missed Mass if you arrive after the Gospel, but on weekdays you are not actually required to attend Mass in order to receive Holy Communion, unless you are receiving Holy Communion for the second time on the same day, in which case, you must be in attendance at a Mass for that - meaning, arriving prior to the Gospel reading (and ideally, prior to the start of Mass), and staying at least until the final blessing.

I thought one had to show up before the Offertory prior to Vatican II, then this was removed and left to the discretion of the attendee. :shrug: I’ve seen people come sit down nearly half hour late.

I see people do all kinds of crazy things, and nobody says anything to them because we don’t want to offend them, or cause them to lose what little faith they have. :shrug: :blush:

I did not know that! See? This is why I come to CA Forums!

unless you are receiving Holy Communion for the second time on the same day, in which case, you must be in attendance at a Mass for that - meaning, arriving prior to the Gospel reading (and ideally, prior to the start of Mass), and staying at least until the final blessing.

I also did not know this. I am curious as to why one needs to attend the full mass the second time on the same day.

Yes. A half hour late is a bit ridiculous. Just wait till the next one!

This is the relevant Canon Law:

Can. 917 – He who has already received the most holy Eucharist, is able to receive it again on the same day only within a eucharistic celebration in which he participates, without prejudice to the provision of can. 921, § 2.

I always thought you could only receive Communion once a day. You can’t have 2 Bodies of Jesus in your stomach, at the same time! :eek:

I feel it is important to arrive and be seated before the Gospel reading.
It really annoys me when people arrive really late.

I wouldn’t worry about a few minutes, but I am one of those people who likes to give myself plenty of time. Of course, you were in confession so I don’t think you have anything to be concerned about.

My wife asked our priest about this, because our daughters served a Saturday vigil, and one of them wanted to attend the following Sunday Mass with her CCD class.

He said it was completely o.k. for her to receive twice within 24 hours. He said the reason it had been frowned upon in the past was because people would rush from one church to another in attempts to receive Communion as many times as possible on any given day, which kind of isn’t the point of receiving Holy Communion.

15 good minutes but do try to be there on time … this figure is my opinion on how late one may arrive to Holy Mass.

Well, it could have been closer to 20 minutes. :stuck_out_tongue: Was the latest Sunday Mass in the city.

I’ve even seen people arrive not only after the homily, but during the Consecration! :eek: And this is not during a weekday Mass but on a Sunday.

At that point, they should just wait until the next Mass (the one we attend is not the last one in the day). They’ve completely avoided the readings and the teaching, and have only come to consume the Eucharist. To me, this is very sad and seems to come from a consumerist mindset. I’m not Catholic yet, but I would imagine it is best to prepare oneself to receive the Eucharist during the Mass, and to ponder the teachings, before coming up to receive.

I understand that sometimes we can be unavoidably late for Mass, but that late? Arriving when the Consecration has already started seems a bit ridiculous for a Sunday. :shrug:

We need to stop focusing on other people during Mass.

I agree, but it is very distracting when they have to climb over you! I wish I had the ability to 100% focus on what is happening at the altar (and I do try), but sometimes distractions can come by way of latecomers, screaming children, or people talking/laughing around me. I’m not perfect, nor is anyone else.

So forgive me if I sometimes fail to maintain 100% focus on what is happening when situations like this occur. :shrug: It is something I am working on. Coming from a Protestant background though, it does startle me to see people coming in this late. Punctuality is important and respectful to those performing the Mass, though as I said, I understand lateness can be unavoidable. But I just can’t fathom missing the homily, especially since I’m used to homilies/sermons being the focus of a church service. I would imagine that teaching is very important, even at a Mass where the Eucharist is the focus.

:)If I make it after all the readings and Gospel I consider it late and won’t go up for communion. Now, if I’m able to read them while there I may consider communion. Of course I always feel that one should arrive early for Mass preferably 15 minutes so one can reflect on ones sins and prepare adequately for it. It would be interesting to get the rubrics of this situational.

I’m not sure the rubrics of the situation either. According to one poster on here, you technically have missed Mass if you have missed the Gospel reading.

But yes, it would be wise to not go up for Communion if you happen to be that late. It’s probably the Protestant in me, but I can’t imagine going to Mass but missing the homily completely.

I hope I haven’t caused any offense to other posters. My apologies if I have. I just felt like complaining I guess. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.