At what time can the Saturday Vigil Mass begin?

Okay so I know that the Saturday Vigil Mass does fulfill one's Sunday obligation, but at what time does Saturday Mass have to be placed so as to classify itself as a Saturday Vigil Mass? From my observation, most of them begin at 5 PM or later, but can it begin earlier than that?

I believe 4pm is the earliest you can have Mass on Saturday and have it count for Sunday.

At sundown or at the set time the bishop permits (every diocese is different).

The simplest (and the most accurate, if I might say) :o is when the local Ordinary, for most of us the local Bishop, says so.

Call the office of the bishop.

[quote="Facite, post:1, topic:333527"]
Okay so I know that the Saturday Vigil Mass does fulfill one's Sunday obligation, but at what time does Saturday Mass have to be placed so as to classify itself as a Saturday Vigil Mass? From my observation, most of them begin at 5 PM or later, but can it begin earlier than that?

[/quote]

The Church says it must be in the evening.

Canon 1248 — § 1. Praecepto de Missa participanda satisfacit qui Missae assistit ubicumque celebratur ritu catholico vel ipso die festo vel vespere diei praecedentis.

A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

The word "vespere" is usually translated into English as "evening." In Latin, it refers to a time-of-day, namely 4:00 PM.

I have heard that it is 4pm. However, in the LOTH, you can anticipate Evening Prayer as early as 2pm. (At least, that's what I was told when I asked about it.)

In private prayer, one may “anticipate” the hours, yes—that’s different though from what canon law says about the proper time for the Sunday Mass celebrated on Saturday evening.

[quote="Beachcomber, post:7, topic:333527"]
I have heard that it is 4pm. However, in the LOTH, you can anticipate Evening Prayer as early as 2pm. (At least, that's what I was told when I asked about it.)

[/quote]

FWIW

Hour of the Day / Latin Name / English Name

During the Night / Matins / Readings
Sunrise / Lauds / Morning Prayer
First Hour of the Day / Prime /(suppressed)
Third Hour of the Day / Terce / Mid-morning Prayer
Sixth Hour of the Day / Sext / Midday Prayer
Ninth Hour of the Day / None / Mid-afternoon Prayer
As evening approaches / Vespers / Evening Prayer
Nightfall / Compline / Night Prayer

ewtn.com/expert/answers/breviary.htm

[quote="FrDavid96, post:8, topic:333527"]
In private prayer, one may "anticipate" the hours, yes---that's different though from what canon law says about the proper time for the Sunday Mass celebrated on Saturday evening.

[/quote]

Yes, I know that. I wasn't talking about canon law; just making an observation.

[quote="ProVobis, post:9, topic:333527"]
FWIW

Hour of the Day / Latin Name / English Name

During the Night / Matins / Readings
Sunrise / Lauds / Morning Prayer
First Hour of the Day / Prime /(suppressed)
Third Hour of the Day / Terce / Mid-morning Prayer
Sixth Hour of the Day / Sext / Midday Prayer
Ninth Hour of the Day / None / Mid-afternoon Prayer
As evening approaches / Vespers / Evening Prayer
Nightfall / Compline / Night Prayer

ewtn.com/expert/answers/breviary.htm

[/quote]

That's interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Generally it's 4 pm based on the 1953 change in the law which allowed "evening Masses" but forbid their celebration before 4 pm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.