At what time is the sin of Gluttony being committed

something I have been thinking about the sin of Gluttony. Gluttony is the sin of overindulgence of food and taking more than you need. But how far does that stretch?

I went to see my to my hometown from the seminary to see my family this weekend and we had pizza Friday night (ate a little more than I should have) then Saturday we went out for margaritas and talked and had sandwiches.

No we did not need margaritas and pizza but is that considered gluttony? Is it any time we go out to a nice restaurant (steak dinner perhaps) to celebrate something considered
gluttony? I wouldn’t think so but at what point is Gluttony commited?

At what point is Gluttony being committed.

I don’t know. A lot of people say that it’s rarely a mortal sin. I would think it’s gluttony when you are taking the resources all for yourself instead of giving it to those who need them more.

reminds me of The Hunger Games,I think. When the rich stuffed themselves, forced themselves to throw up, and then eat again. Not because they have an eating disorder, but they do it to have more room for food. While others out there were starving. :shrug:

Celebratory meals with family and friends with some alcohol are certainly not inherently sinful. Jesus celebrated with food and wine, as did other Biblical figures. Where do we cross the line into gluttony and excess? That is a good question!

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

GLUTTONY. Inordinate desire for the pleasure connected with food or drink. This desire may become sinful in various ways: by eating or drinking far more than a person needs to maintain bodily strength; by glutting one’s taste for certain kinds of food with known detriment to health; by indulging the appetite for exquisite food or drink, especially when these are beyond one’s ability to afford a luxurious diet; by eating or drinking too avidly, i.e., ravenously; by consuming alcoholic beverages to the point of losing full control of one’s reasoning powers. Intoxication that ends in complete loss of reason is a mortal sin if brought on without justification, e.g., for medical reasons. (Etym. Latin glutire, to devour.)

After the 6th jelly donut! :slight_smile:

I think more in terms of how the romans supposedly would vomit, just to eat more food, THAT is gluttony, an extra slice of pizza on occassion isn’t

At a book fair, I happened to sit on a bench with a small container of ice cream. My daughter had gone over to chat with someone, and so I was just people-watching. A heavy-set young woman brought her also heavy-set kids over to another table. The mother unloaded a large amount of food. Apparently they thought they would starve if they did not eat fries, two hamburgers, milk shakes, etc.

Just watching them putting it away made me think not about gluttony but about the habit these kids were forming. Apparently they did not know when to stop eating. Gluttony could be like that, where a person just doesn’t know when to stop eating and don’t know they have had enough.

No wonder there is an obesity trend here in the USA.

Individual acts of overeating…intemperance (gluttony in this sense) are “ordinarily” a “venial matter” for venial sin…

(though gluttony can be grave such as when one is getting drunk where one looses ones reason is mortal for example (or if it leads to other mortal sins)…or uncorrected habits of eating in a way that will “seriously harm ones health or life” --at least in the “short term” that is…)

We need to seek to grow in the virtue of temperance…

Catechism:

1806 Prudence is the virtue that disposes practical reason to discern our true good in every circumstance and to choose the right means of achieving it; "the prudent man looks where he is going."65 "Keep sane and sober for your prayers."66 Prudence is “right reason in action,” writes St. Thomas Aquinas, following Aristotle.67 It is not to be confused with timidity or fear, nor with duplicity or dissimulation. It is called auriga virtutum (the charioteer of the virtues); it guides the other virtues by setting rule and measure. It is prudence that immediately guides the judgment of conscience. The prudent man determines and directs his conduct in accordance with this judgment. With the help of this virtue we apply moral principles to particular cases without error and overcome doubts about the good to achieve and the evil to avoid.

1809 Temperance is the moral virtue that moderates the attraction of pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods. It ensures the will’s mastery over instincts and keeps desires within the limits of what is honorable. The temperate person directs the sensitive appetites toward what is good and maintains a healthy discretion: "Do not follow your inclination and strength, walking according to the desires of your heart."72 Temperance is often praised in the Old Testament: "Do not follow your base desires, but restrain your appetites."73 In the New Testament it is called “moderation” or “sobriety.” We ought "to live sober, upright, and godly lives in this world."74

To live well is nothing other than to love God with all one’s heart, with all one’s soul and with all one’s efforts; from this it comes about that love is kept whole and uncorrupted (through temperance). No misfortune can disturb it (and this is fortitude). It obeys only [God] (and this is justice), and is careful in discerning things, so as not to be surprised by deceit or trickery (and this is prudence).75

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a7.htm#1806

Overeaters Anonymous teaches you to eat in proportions. Like, do not sit and eat a whole half-gallon of ice cream. It also follows the Alcoholics Anonymous book which is based on the 12 steps and trusting in our Higher Power. How very easy it is to overeat! Again, it is a matter of self-control. Is it hunger or greed? Eat a well-balanced diet. At celebrations, who’s counting? We get caught up in the moment. If we know we have taken more than our need, or at the expense of others who have so little, it would be good to confess that. At least that is what the nuns would tell me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.