Atheism ads on buses spreads from London to Spain

Madrid, Jan 9, 2009 / 01:46 pm (CNA).- A campaign promoting atheism through ads on public buses in London has spread to the Spanish cities of Barcelona and Madrid, igniting a controversy among the inhabitants of both cities.

The so-called “atheist buses” in London were inspired by columnist Ariane Sherine of The Guardian and backed by the British Humanistic Association and Professor Richard Dawkins. Soon after philosopher, Anthony Grayling, journalist Polly Toynbee and the British Atheistic Association also voiced their support for the campaign.

The campaign now has some $250,000 in donations and has spread to other British cities, where some 600 buses carry ads that read, “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.” On Monday 1000 ads will be posted on London’s subway network.

When the pop tune Sha la la la la la let’s live for today came out people pitched pennies for 45 R.P.M.s . People have pitched pennies for naught before.

“Now stop worrying and enjoy your life” would work just fine, without the attack on religion, but hey if you have the money…

Also, the slogan would work just as well for religion, which shows its fallacy: “There’s probably a God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.”

I think the slogan “Do good for goodness’ sake” would well for everyone, because we Catholics do good for God’s sake, and God is goodness itself, and most non-believers do good for goodness’ sake. So it’d really be the same message, just different understanding of it.

Notice that the ad says “probably”- :hmmm: so even they aren’t completely sure. Pascal’s “wager” says this is a dumb position to take. Besides, aren’t there studies that say religious people are happier?

The guy who spearheaded this, Dawkins, holds his views as zealously and aggressively as the religious people he criticises. He’s very childish and the kind of person (religious or not) I make a point of ignoring in person.

It’s called intellectual honesty.

Besides, aren’t there studies that say religious people are happier?

Just as there are studies that show a huge correclation between homicide, higher abortion rates, poverty, lower education & other societal ills & high levels of religioucity in a country.

It’s not intellectual honesty when you say ‘probably’ yet have access to no… well, probabilities. It’s sloppiness.

As for the vague reference to studies showing that ‘huge correclation’, I’ll simply chuckle. There was one study I know of which attempted to establish that, and it’s long been derided as biased hackwork. :wink:

What exactly did you mean by that? I’m not sure I understand.

As for the vague reference to studies showing that ‘huge correclation’, I’ll simply chuckle. There was one study I know of which attempted to establish that, and it’s long been derided as biased hackwork. :wink:

Yeah, just like those studies showing religious people are more happy. Though I partly might agree that living in a delusion of a reality which is more favourable to you, would feel nice.

The campaign now has some $250,000 in donations

If I were atheist I would spend $0 on any campaign. Every penny of mine would be spent on me.

Food for thought.

-Tim

Re: Pascal’s wager. I agree it makes more sense to believe in God than not to. But you can’t force someone to believe. Life would be happier if everyone believed in Santa as well - but I simply don’t. You can’t make someone believe something. I could live my life as a perfect Catholic, but without faith I still wouldn’t reach Heaven. I think 90% if Christians who say they believe reallly don’t anyways, looking at their behavior. Most here certainly do, but half my friends say “I believe in Jesus…but none of that other stuff. I’m just gonna go have sex and never go to Church and of course being gay is ok and so is abortion etc etc” They say they believe to comfort themselves about the afterlife, but if they were true belieers, they would live their life in a Christian way out of concern for their own souls. As horrific as the acts of Islamic terrorists are - I believe they truly believe, or else they wouldn’t die for the cause. THOSE are people who I believe are true believers…not someone who wears a cross necklace.

worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=85728

A complaint has been filed with the government over a series of advertisements posted on buses that suggest God doesn’t exist, demanding proof of the statement in order to comply with federal truth-in-advertising laws

Good idea!

Oh just wanted to add since I can’t seem to edit my post…it’s not that i think Muslims are believers and Christians aren’t i that’s how it read. It’s that I see so many people doing things like wearing cross necklaces claiming to be Christian but doing nothing else other than wear a symbol, and it’s clear they must not really believe - however, when people do something drastic, even if i t’s horrible, at least I know they believe.

In Costa Rica many of the buses had a picture of Christ on them, it was obviously not an ad, but something the bus driver did to customize his bus.

If Atheists need to pay others money to get their ads out, I’d say its pretty sad. Especially with the amount of advertising they do always complaining about God, when God is love.

It seems to me they hate the only decent reason there is to live. Makes no difference to me, I’ll love them all the same, only because it is logical to love the creations love has made.

Anything less than that, is well, illogical.

I’d think that atheists would probably suggest that people getting cross about their adverts were making a fuss over nothing.

There is a massive misunderstanding here of what the bus ads are there for.
It was Ariane Sherine’s idea, not Richard Dawkins’. It was done in reaction to many buses spreading ‘you’re going to hell’ type ads. These christian groups also had to pay to advertise there, as does perfume companies, insurance firms etc.

‘Probably’ indicates that there is currently (as they see it) no evidence for a God. It also gives the phrase a more distinctively British taste. We have to remember that it was started off by a comedian, and while the BHA etc are serious about it, there is supposed to be an element of British irony.

Then again they say Americans (except New Yorkers) don’t understand irony anyway :wink: (I jest :stuck_out_tongue: )

That’s a logical position for an atheist Kaninchen but Dawkins as pointed out above takes a kind of gleeful childish joy in upsetting people of all faiths. I’ve long since ceased to be impressed with his writing on these issues - I can pinpoint the moment when that occured, when I opened ‘The God Delusion’ and Dawkins make the extraordinary and ridiculous claim that been abused as a child is a substantially lesser evil than been raised as a Catholic. An atheist by definition would not care to argue as much as Dawkins does as he would regard the whole matter of religion as superflous - Dawkins has a a degree of intellectual arrogance and smugness I find disconcerting.

This thread is not about Dawkins. All he did was financially support this campaign, and did not give any creative input into this.

Dawkins is however the poster child of this particular ‘movement’. Personally in the interests of freedom of speech let them post these ads up on the sides of buses all day long if they wish - so long as I am equally free to criticise them of course.

As Dawkins financially supported the adverts I see no reason why he or his points of view are irrelevant to the threads.

Essentially Londoners will for the most part laugh at or ignore these ads. As Madrid and Barcelona are also large cities with cosmopolitan populations I suspect the reaction will be equally tepid there. All people who live in big cities are used to various people trying to foist their agendas on to us, these ads are only an atheist equivalent to that.

A complaint has been filed with the government over a series of advertisements posted on buses that suggest God doesn’t exist, demanding proof of the statement in order to comply with federal truth-in-advertising laws

Good idea!

They are shooting themselves in the foot, my opinion. After the atheist ads are reviewed & taken down, they are going to ask the same for religious ads.

‘Stop worrying about it’

Maybe they should practice what they preach

Despicable. Just utterly despicable! :mad: Why on earth do the Atheists feel the need to evangelize? If there is no God, then why do they care what we believe? :shrug::confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.