Atheism ads on buses spreads from London to Spain

Well, if religious people advertise, why shouldn’t the non-religious?

If you are allowed to tell people what you think about things, why can’t they?
Don’t you support free speech? If so, this is not despicable, it is actually a good thing, people exorcising their rights.

lol I have a pic which I think fits pretty well into this

Explore . .

I have travelled around the Muslim world and most Muslims are only nominally so, too. Hypocracy is a human trait not only Catholic.

What a waste of money, to stick adverts on buses etc that no-one is really going to take any notice of!

There’s a point for usually spending that much money on regular adverts, for companies to make money. But whats the point in telling people there’s probably no God?

Reminds me of a certain ‘charity’ that wants to spend £20,000 on a statue of Gandhi in Leicester, apparently the charity has nothing better to do with the money. :wink:

“To prevent the spread of unnecessary offspring, have your atheist spayed or neutered today!”

Nobody here is forcing anyone, and Pascal’s wager does not force anyone either. Pascal merely makes the point that given the choices of head or tails (i.e. to believe in God or not to believe), it makes more sense to believe since if its true you gain everything, or lose everything if you dont believe. But if its not true then neither the believer or non-believer has lost nothing in the afterlife.

It’s not about forcing anyone, but about what makes most sense, according to Pascal, and as you agree above. This is just a very simple argument, it’s not supposed be a proof of God or deep theological reflection.

From an earlier article on this topic:

An interesting element of the bus slogan is the word “probably,” which would seem to be more suited to an Agnostic Bus Campaign than to an atheist one. Mr. Dawkins, for one, argued that the word should not be there at all.

But the element of doubt was necessary to meet British advertising guidelines, said Tim Bleakley, managing director for sales and marketing at CBS Outdoor in London, which handles advertising for the bus system.

For religious people, advertisements saying there is no God “would have been misleading,” Mr. Bleakley said.

“So as not to fall foul of the code, you have to acknowledge that there is a gray area,” he said.

Actually, I’d say the campaign has been extraordinarily successful, as a vast audience has taken notice of the ads, including yourself!

Right…my point is that I don’t think most people of any religion who claim to believe actually do. The Islamic extremist example was the first to come to mind to point out how deeply they must believe to do such drastic things - the same goes for someone of any faith (ie I believe the Duggars or other fundamentalists must believe or they wouldn’t live such a simple life where God is the center of their world).

I agree…I just take issue with the assumption that one can simply choose to believe because it makes more sense. If it were that easy, I would do it.

From an earlier article on this topic:
Quote:
An interesting element of the bus slogan is the word “probably,” which would seem to be more suited to an Agnostic Bus Campaign than to an atheist one. Mr. Dawkins, for one, argued that the word should not be there at all.

But the element of doubt was necessary to meet British advertising guidelines, said Tim Bleakley, managing director for sales and marketing at CBS Outdoor in London, which handles advertising for the bus system.

For religious people, advertisements saying there is no God “would have been misleading,” Mr. Bleakley said.

“So as not to fall foul of the code, you have to acknowledge that there is a gray area,” he said.

So the next time somebody advertises a church should it say “Come join our Church since there is probably a soul which we could help you probably save by turning your life to a probably divine Jesus that probably died for your sins which were set up by a probable God” ? lol

Nope I haven’t seen them on the buses, only knew about it from this forum…

Most people don’t take notice of any advertisement at the side of a bus.
And they did it in part for the comedic element, but also they felt commuters etc were being scared into a faith (these ads were done in reaction to a series of christian ads basically saying you’re going to hell).

I disagree with them, but if they want to do it go ahead! This is 21st century Britain, and I will stand up for free speech for all!

There you have it. They’ve reached a huge audience, including many who will never see the buses. Hardly a waste of money, from a marketing perspective.

[quote=Robertsxxx]So the next time somebody advertises a church should it say “Come join our Church since there is probably a soul which we could help you probably save by turning your life to a probably divine Jesus that probably died for your sins which were set up by a probable God” ? lol
[/quote]

That did seem to be a rather strange restriction, but I’m not that familiar with British advertising laws. If you read the beginning of that article I linked, the originator of this campaign was spurred to action not by a definitive statement on a bus (the bus sign simply had the name of a church or denomination and its website), but by the strong statements on the church’s website.

From the article again:

she was startled to learn that she and her nonbelieving friends were headed straight to hell, to “spend all eternity in torment.”

That’s a bit extreme, she thought, as well as hard to prove. “If I wanted to run a bus ad saying ‘Beware — there is a giant lion from London Zoo on the loose!’ or ‘The “bits” in orange juice aren’t orange but plastic — don’t drink them or you’ll die!’ I think I might be asked to show my working and back up my claims,”

So it may be that in the absence of a First Amendment such as we are familiar with in the US, standards of what can be said in British advertising are much stricter, and the wishy-washy statement you (Robertsxxx) jokingly proposed is about as far as you can go.

Even more proof that Atheism is a religion - like theistic religions, they have evangelists.

continual head-desk

You clearly have no idea of the intention of this advertisement.
It is satire against the ‘YOU ARE GOING TO HELL SUCKA’-esque ads put up by fundamentalist groups.
Are Nike a religion by telling people to buy their product?
Are any other company a religion because they advertise their product?
I’m a christian, but I don’t agree with mocking atheists on no grounds!

I share your pain.

Robertsxxx,

What’s your point with your posts? Can you share an opinion without coming across as condesceding and arrogant? Why don’t you go to a board that has a topic you support?

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.