Atheist Group Blasts Postal Service for Mother Teresa Stamp

Read here.

An atheist organization is blasting the U.S. Postal Service for its plan to honor Mother Teresa with a commemorative stamp, saying it violates postal regulations against honoring “individuals whose principal achievements are associated with religious undertakings.”

The Freedom from Religion Foundation is urging its supporters to boycott the stamp – and also to engage in a letter-writing campaign to spread the word about what it calls the “darker side” of Mother Teresa.

The stamp – set to be released on Aug. 26, which would have been Mother Teresa’s 100th birthday – will recognize the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize winner for her humanitarian work, the Postal Service announced last month.

This is just crazy!:eek:

On October 1, 1996, President Bill Clinton signed a resolution conferring Honorary United States Citizenship on Mother Teresa, only the fourth person to be given that honor. Among his remarks he said, "To be an American citizen, is to share certain fundamental values: That we have a duty to help others live up to their God-given promise, that we have a responsibility to build up and reinforce the bonds of community, that we have an obligation to extend our hands to those who cannot always help themselves.

By this measure, Mother Teresa is already an American citizen. I am proud to make it official."

So the atheists can't grumble that we're honoring a foreigner on one of our stamps as one of them claimed.

They'll find anything they can to complain about. They are basically unhappy people.
Why else do they come into a forum like this and stir up outrage with their incendiary statements .

So the vast charities she started that continue onto this day, because they are "tainted" with religion, are of no avail... how many atheists have done the same as her, on her level and her scale and her legacy...zero, zip, natta, if they want to play that card, tell them to step up to the plate and do the same or keep their mouths "shut" over the matter. Do these guys have any shame at all for their actions? I wonder if the many people she has helped, given the opportunity to counter blast them would put them in their place, I'd say overwhelmingly so, many, exponentially.

This country is going to hell in a handbasket in short order, entirely because we are caving in to the atheist demands, without God, there is no U.S. of A, much less a postal system, I so wish we had strong Christian leaders in control over our country again, ones that actually uphold the "true" constitution.

my suggestion would be that we should start going to the post office and begin to ask for mother’s stamps. this way the post office will realize that we are behind them.

[quote="wisdomseeker, post:5, topic:184751"]
my suggestion would be that we should start going to the post office and begin to ask for mother's stamps. this way the post office will realize that we are behind them.

[/quote]

Will do tomorrow!:)

[quote="Nordar, post:6, topic:184751"]
Will do tomorrow!:)

[/quote]

I did yesterday.

MOTHER TERESA STAMP UNDER FIRE

January 28, 2010

Catholic League president Bill Donohue explains why the Freedom from Religion Foundation is opposed to the decision by the U.S. Postal Service to issue a Mother Teresa stamp later this year:

Annie Laurie Gaylor is co-president, with her husband Dan Barker, of the Freedom from Religion Foundation, and she is leading the atheist crusade against the Mother Teresa stamp. She reasons that the Post Office should not honor a religious figure. The Post Office replies that Mother Teresa was selected because of her humanitarian work.

When asked about a previous stamp honoring Malcolm X, a leader of the Nation of Islam, Gaylor said, “Malcolm X was not primarily known for being a religious figure.” She is correct. But she sounds like a white racist when she dresses down Rev. Martin Luther King: she said he “just happened to be a minister.” Really? We’d like to hear her explain that to African Americans at a Sunday service. Perhaps she can get the NAACP to recast King as a secular orator, and not as a black clergyman, during Black History Month (which starts on Monday).

What is really driving Gaylor’s hatred of Mother Teresa, besides her virulent anti-Catholicism, is the saintly nun’s opposition to abortion. She accuses the Albanian nun of making an “anti-abortion rant” during her Nobel Prize acceptance speech. As a matter of fact, the “rant” amounted to her saying that “abortion was the greatest destroyer of peace in the world.”

To understand why abortion hits a nerve with Gaylor, consider this. Her mother, Annie Nicol Gaylor, founded the Freedom from Religion Foundation in 1978. And just two years after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized abortion-on-demand, she released a book titled, Abortion Is a Blessing. This is not the kind of book that someone who is reluctantly pro-choice writes: it could only be written by someone who sees abortion as a positive good. Looks like the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

Source -
catholicleague.org

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist who thinks that opposing a stamp is really silly.

That explains so much!
Just googling freedom from religion foundation and abortion brings up articles about how the group was begun “after the founders saw Christians opposing abortion at legislative meetings at the Wisconsin State Capitol.”

Like I said, it explains a lot.

Mother Teresa was a great person! People who weren’t even Christian, like Ghandi and the Dalai Lama, had great respect for her.

It just amazes me how one issue can make people so obstinate that they start doing things like boycotting a stamp. It’s just a stamp! It’s not like they’re displaying a statue of her inside the nation’s capital. :rolleyes:

[quote="st_lucy, post:1, topic:184751"]
Read here.

This is just crazy!:eek:

[/quote]

It certainly seems extreme. And this seems to be a tendency of American atheism compared to European atheism where in the latter atheism has generally been tolerated and accepted. It reminds me of the reactions of some feminists in opposing inequality in the sexes that they started to demonise men. Extremism seems to breed extremism. American atheism seems almost paranoid about Christian fundamentalists.

Looking at just the rules on paper, I would tend to agree with the FFRF.

1. It is a general policy that U.S. postage stamps and stationery primarily will feature American or American-related subjects…
  2. Stamps or stationery items shall not be issued to honor religious institutions or individuals whose principal achievements are associated with religious undertakings or beliefs.

However, we have to consider the precedents.
On the religious issue, MLK was indeed a religous leader, although he was seen as a leader of the civil rights movement by a wide swath of the population, whether they were Baptist, AME, Jehovah’s Witness, Muslim, etc. I suppose you could make a similar case for Mother Teresa, although I thought all of her work was within the context of her religious group Missionaries of Charity.

On the citizenship issue, she’s not a citizen. She’s an honorary citizen. American-related? Please. However, looking at a number of postage stamps issued featuring non-Americans, we see that this rule isn’t applied strictly.

Frida Kahlo - American? No. American-related? Sure, I’ll give her that.
Raoul Wallenberg & Winston Churchill - Not really American-related, but honorary citizens like Mother Teresa
Sun Yat-Sen - Main qualification seems to be a forged Hawaiian birth certificate :eek:

So on balance, although I don’t think it’s appropriate based on USPS rules to honor Mother Teresa with a US stamp, it’s a borderline case, and considering precedent, the USPS decision to honor her is reasonable.

[quote="AntiTheist, post:9, topic:184751"]
For what it's worth, I'm an atheist who thinks that opposing a stamp is really silly.

[/quote]

Yeah sure.You'd be more convincing though if you had oh, let's start with... 50 atheists like you with exact same sentiments?

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:13, topic:184751"]
Yeah sure.You'd be more convincing though if you had oh, let's start with... 50 atheists like you with exact same sentiments?

[/quote]

I think that in all fairness must Atheist don't see this as a problem it is only those few with big mouths that do.

Then why aren’t they there to shut them up? :mad: I’ve done my fair share of shutting up fellow fanatical Chrisiants (Catholic and otherwise) so where’s their end of the bargain?

[quote="AntiTheist, post:9, topic:184751"]

[/quote]

I'm with you. I think the opposition is silly and over the top.

Well, see, the thing is that I’m not the boss of other people. I don’t control what gets them upset, and I don’t control what they have to say about it. Why don’t you “shut up” Reverend Phelps and his protests of funerals (which actually are offensive)? The answer is simple: you’re not the boss of him, and you have no control over the nutty things he does.

And frankly, I don’t care if a bunch of silly people want to get all huffy about some stamp. What difference could that possibly make?

[quote="AntiTheist, post:17, topic:184751"]
Well, see, the thing is that I'm not the boss of other people. I don't control what gets them upset, and I don't control what they have to say about it. Why don't you "shut up" Reverend Phelps and his protests of funerals (which actually are offensive)? The answer is simple: you're not the boss of him, and you have no control over the nutty things he does.

[/quote]

Ah right, the old "I'm not accountable for people's actions" excuse. :rolleyes: Apparently an atheist like you is ignorant of one simple fact: Christians are supposed to rebuke and call on each other if they act in ways detrimental to our faith. Fred Phelps and his moronic cult are no exception.

Then again, thanks for making Christianity look a lot better. At least we have the guts to call on our own kin when they're out of line.

Then again, thanks for making Christianity look a lot better. At least we have the guts to call on our own kin when they're out of line.

The thing you have to understand is that atheism, being a lack of a belief, doesn't have any tenets or points of view tying it together. We're not "kin" in the way that religious groups are. The only thing that all atheists agree on is that they do not believe in gods. Individual atheists have all sorts of beliefs about other things. Some individual atheists, for example, are nutballs and waste their time protesting images on a stamp.

Now that being said, I expressed in a public forum how silly I find the whole thing. Another atheist who happened to be looking at this thread concurred with me. What exactly are you expecting, dozens of atheists to flood some random religious website and rally against a few nutjobs complaining about a picture on a stamp? I doubt the vast majority of atheists know or care about this silly complaint. If I hadn't stumbled across this thread, I know that I wouldn't have.

At any rate, if I have made Christianity "look a lot better," I suppose I can take comfort in the fact that you're obviously doing everything you can to make it look worse with your tone.

[quote="AntiTheist, post:19, topic:184751"]
The thing you have to understand is that atheism, being a lack of a belief, doesn't have any tenets or points of view tying it together. We're not "kin" in the way that religious groups are. The only thing that all atheists agree on is that they do not believe in gods. Individual atheists have all sorts of beliefs about other things. Some individual atheists, for example, are nutballs and waste their time protesting images on a stamp.

[/quote]

You certainly have people trying to tie you all together or do you forget that those are the people you're calling nutballs? :rolleyes: And furthermore, you do know that even Protestants and Catholics can unite under the basic tenets of Christianity right? Also, it doesn't take a zillion common points to tie you guys all together. The one thing that you all have in common is the lack of belief in gods and the supernatural. You guys base everything on "facts" and "reason" (and don't you dare tell me that's a strawmen because you people harp about that all the time).

And by the way? Nice try with that last bit. It would've worked if I'm not such a deviant Catholic who has no intention of either promoting or bringing down his religion.

I just find the "nutballs" on your side of the fence just as blatantly air-headed and annoying as the ones on mine.

The difference is I believe enough in one's accountability for others to keep them in line. Guys like you though just make excuses and are too afraid to confront people who share the same core beliefs.

Heck I've criticized the likes of Jack Chick and he believes in God and Christ as much as I do. What about you? Why can't you guys start rallying against the likes of Sam Harris even though he hates the concept of God and religion as much as the next atheist? :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.