Atheist Slogans On London Buses

What do CAF members who live in London think about the campaign to put anti-God slogans inside and outside of our buses? The campaign is the idea of the British Humanist Society, supported by Professor Richard Dawkins. The slogans on the buses will read: “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.” Professor Dawkins is quoted as saying “This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion.”

Why do people hate God so much? He loves us so much but look at the hate He gets in return.

Opinions appreciated, Esther

It is not the hate of God - those people just simply do not want God to exist- if He exists then there is some accountability for our actions. They would rather he didn’t.
Second, do not forget that it is the Satan who really hates God, he just uses those people.

I think St Paul answered the question as to why people despise God when he told the Corinthians: If the dead are not raised, “Let’s eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”

We live in a world that would rather eat and drink, believing that experience is all there is, and believing that after death our bodies will decompose and become wormfood.

Plus, Dawkins’ statement that religion discourages thinking must wrestle with such prominent philosophers and theologians like our Holy Father who are brilliant, who are well-aware of scientific advancements and the consequences of such advancement, but who regardless see God in all things.

Professor Dawkins is quoted as saying “This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion.”

Jesus Christ commanded us to love God with all our faculties, including our minds, which necessitates thinking.

What about a counter-campaign? Saying there is “probably no God” doesn’t sound very confident anyway.

Wouldn’t it be neat if some Christian organization put that verse from Corinthians on the buses, billboards, or city benches? :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for replying, I feel a bit better now, although I’ll avoid getting on one of those buses if I can help it. Esther

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Btw, did you hear how Methodist Church reacted to the campaign - they said they were grateful because God is talked about more… I like the attitude.
Come on, who would put so much trouble into convincing people that some non-existant entity does not really exist. Do you see such campaigns for UFO, fairly tale dwarfs, sprites, or whatever imaginary creatures can be out there? If God does not exist, why write books about Him, why talk about it, why argue - like that author… so in the end, they are doing that because they are bothered…

This sort of thing makes me sad, as I’m a hopeless Anglophile and want to go to London for a semester next year. I know that Europe in general is pretty secular, but I am always shocked when I hear such rabidly anti-religious things going on there.

Thanks Chris for the quote.

Danuska what you said rings very true. It makes me sit and wonder why these people get themselves so worked up about the existence of God.

Dove51 still come on over, it’s not all that bad here (yet) and there are some wonderful churches to see.

Esther

Let’s keep praying and doing penance, everyone!

All these slogans are doing is making the world know how silly they are.

As the Psalmist sang, “The fool has said in his heart, ‘There is no god.’”

No no, the atheists are running a counter campaign to the large amount of Christian verses on the buses and billboards. It was thought up by a woman who visited one of the websites on the ads which subsequently turned out to be a fire and brimstone evangelical Protestant ‘‘Jesus said you’re going to burn in hell you naughty naughty heathen’’ type website.

I live in London and while I may not like it, while I may think it is offensive, they have every right to do it, after all we are allowed to evangelise on buses, billboards, bus stops, etc.

Well, it is an atheist message, I suppose. No real difference to the anti-Christian graffiti that was scrawled on walls 2000 years ago.

If you walk London’s streets you can see that no-one really has any time for the Lord, so it’s not surprising they would be fine with the ad-campaign.

However, it does indicate a sad movement - the open attack of Christian faith (and for that matter, all religious belief), and the promotion of hedonistic greed.

Lord have Mercy :frowning:

There was something like this out where I live a few years back. They did a series of bill boards. They did “Got God” white on black. Then kept the same look at put up stuff like, “See you at My house before the big game,” “I’ve got a book, have you read it?” The billboards were very simple and nothing condemnatory or confrontational.

There’s “probably” no God? Glad they’re standing firm in their convictions.:rolleyes: Shelley’s heart must be rolling over. More people to pray for, more people to love. Praise God!

Doesn’t anybody else think it’s odd that atheists are evangelising?

I find this to be rather sad. I mean, why must people hate God to such an extent? It’s very saddening to think about.

My thoughts exactly Holly.

Excuse me but what idiotic atheists like Dawkins (or better yet DORKins) are doing with their stupid anti-God campaigns are actually no better than the manure being churned out by radical fundaMENTAList ministries like Chick Publications. I don’t care how far opposite they (or any of you) feel they are, they both have only hatred and arrogance for those who don’t conform to their radical and equally moronic belief systems.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.