Atheistic Meme--Your Thoughts?

Saw this on Facebook.

My response: no sane religious person has ever said that.

Other thoughts?

Why can’t I do both?

Why can’t I do both at the same time?

Heimlich manœuvre.
We’re the Catholic Church, not Siegfried and Roy.

Jesus commanded us to help each other. We’re not commanded to tell God, “Hey, you do it. And that, too. You do that. And that other one. Oh, and that one too.”

He wants us to be good, not magicians. If not, he could perfectly do it without our telling Him… I mean, he’s not blind.

Atheists again creating absurd extremist examples that have nothing to do with Christ’s message.

Indeed.

As Fr. Barron is wont to say to atheists: I reject the same religion you reject.

This is called a “false dichotomy”. It’s often posed by someone when their underlying argument is awful and they need to drum-up some support for their bogus claim.

^^^^This.

But, hey–why let logic get in the way of a meme going viral?

I agree! :slight_smile:

I can do a prayer WHILST I am doing the Heimlich. I’ve prayed whilst taking tests before. (Which is why I think prayer should be allowed in school, but that’s a different post)

An Atheist who thinks this meme has any credibility clearly doesn’t know scripture. For example, Jesus is being tempted by the devil to jump from the top of the Temple and have God save him. Jesus responds with “You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.” This would seem to follow the same principle in a way. God has allowed humans to have the knowledge to save a choking person. Why would we test Him by seeing if he will stop the person from choking rather than us doing it?

Atheists who share this sort of nonsense are, for lack of a better word, morons. The fact that they think anyone would not request physical assistance shows how deeply deformed their caricature of Christians really is. They’ve spent so much time attacking Christianity that they’ve either forgotten what genuine Christianity looks like, or never learned to begin with.

You can! And you will!! And I will!

What is the moral purpose, from an atheist perspective, of saving someone that is choking? Aren’t they just a random accident?

Those crazy athiests…no ability to see the bigger picture!

I would prefer that you do the HM and pray that it works!

Yeah, I am confused by it. I mean, you can pray whilst you are doing it. What do these folks think prayer is? I really am curious.

Well, there are SOME cases of people refusing to seek medical care and relying on prayer instead. Especially when it comes to mental illness, but sometimes for physical ailment as well.

Here’s one example:
oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/03/jeffrey_and_marci_beagley_sent.html

On the other hand, the Followers of Christ Church, that did have a belief in faith healing, hardly represents mainstream Christian belief. Anymore than the Westboro Baptist Church does.

Yes, I think they have a caricature of wild-eyed religious fanatics. But I suspect many, if not, most, of the people circulating the meme actually just find it to be funny. Similar to the meme about people going to bookstores and moving all the Bibles into the Fiction section. I doubt anyone has actually done this, and even if they have, certainly not as many as have circulated it.

Obviously Dr Lawrence cant multi task ! :innocent:

The meme also reminds of the old joke about a man in a hurricane who refuses to evacuate his house as ordered because “I will pray to God and He will protect me”. As the streets around the house flood, a rescuer comes in a boat, and he again refuses to leave because “I will pray to God and He will protect me”. Then the floodwaters rise even higher, and a rescuer comes in a helicopter, and he again refuses to leave because “I will pray to God and He will protect me”.

Well, the punch line is that of course the man drowns. He does go to Heaven, and asks God why He let him drown. God replies, “I sent you a messenger to warn you, I sent you a boat, I sent you a helicopter. What else were you waiting for?”

So there is a kernel of truth in that meme. But just because there are some people who really have this skewed view of Divine Providence, hardly is some kind of damning blow that disproves God’s existence completely.

Although right in a sense, this response misses the point. Its not a matter of which or both we would be commanded to do in Christianity. Obviously, we should do both and the people who agree with this meme know that. The point is that given a choice prayer seems a vain exercise by instinct demonstrating that the miraculous claims of Christianity are unbelievable. That is his argument. Its not a dichotomy by exclusion, it’s an illustration of what we are presumed to really believe under our facade of religiosity.

Some time ago, I said to my college roommate, heads I go to bed, tails I party. If it lands on edge I will do homework. As impossible as it may seem, and as God is my witness, when I tossed the quarter in the air and let it fall tumbling onto the carpet, it came to rest ON EDGE. I challenge anyone to intentionally put a quarter on edge at rest on any surface. In my life I have seen even more impossible things than this. I think this meme is insignificant.

“Presumed to really believe” being the operative phrase, yes? But, it’s still false since Catholicism doesn’t exclude the possibility of natural explanations for seemingly miraculous events. Indeed, the Catholic Church goes to great lengths to exclude all natural explanations before declaring a reported miracle as such. So, the meme is a misrepresentation and a cheat, besides a lazy way to take a cheap shot.

Some time ago, I said to my college roommate, heads I go to bed, tails I party. If it lands on edge I will do homework. As impossible as it may seem, and as God is my witness, when I tossed the quarter in the air and let it fall tumbling onto the carpet, it came to rest ON EDGE. I challenge anyone to intentionally put a quarter on edge at rest on any surface. In my life I have seen even more impossible things than this. I think this meme is insignificant.

That’s interesting, but it’s certainly doesn’t qualify as miraculous since it is possible, even if it is highly improbable, that a coin would land on it’s edge. The Church would very quickly dismiss any claim of a miracle if you presented it to the local bishop for investigation. :wink:

You see, our atheist friend who put out this meme is merely showing his ignorance and bias, not making a valid point, if his target is Catholicism. I cannot answer for all other possible ecclesial bodies, but it doesn’t apply to the Catholic understanding of natural and miraculous occurrences, nor how we see prayer/petitioning God for our needs. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.