Atheists around world suffer persecution, discrimination: report

news.yahoo.com/atheists-around-world-suffer-persecution-discrimination-report-000945958.html

GENEVA (Reuters) - Atheists and other religious skeptics suffer persecution or discrimination in many parts of the world and in at least seven nations can be executed if their beliefs become known, according to a report issued on Monday.

The study, from the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU), showed that "unbelievers" in Islamic countries face the most severe - sometimes brutal - treatment at the hands of the state and adherents of the official religion.

But it also points to policies in some European countries and the United States which favor the religious and their organizations and treat atheists and humanists as outsiders.

Now if they just did a study on religious persecution.

I’d say. The media bias is disgusting!! :mad:

My only question about this is, who researched and wrote the article, and athiest?

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:3, topic:307997"]
My only question about this is, who researched and wrote the article, and athiest?

[/quote]

Well, considering it's Yahoo!....of course it was. I read Yahoo just for the comedy they call news. Pretty sad when the persecutors claim to be the persecuted. :shrug:

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:1, topic:307997"]
news.yahoo.com/atheists-around-world-suffer-persecution-discrimination-report-000945958.html

[/quote]

In Muslim countries I can believe that but I don't believe it true anywhere else, certainly not in Europe or the U.S. In Europe and the U.S. it is the atheists who are doing the persecuting. They harrass Christians any chance they get through their own groups, through the ACLU, and through liberal activist groups. Yeh, I really feel sorry for them. :D

I read Yahoo news for laughs, and the comments section. If the Yahoo comments section is any indication, this whole persecution thing is completely turned around. On any article, on any given day, if any Christian says anything "Christian" they are verbally attacked vehemently by many different commentators. In person, it's very difficult to discuss anything even remotely religious or spiritual with an atheist. So many of them absolutely despise religion, Christianity in particular.

So yes, I do think the writer of that particular article has a pretty big chip on their shoulder.

Leave it to members of a privileged class to conflate criticism with persecution.

How about we start mentioning that Christians are the religious group that suffers the greatest worldwide persecution, with over 100,000 Christians murdered every year simply because of their faith of love? :(

[/quote]

They forget of all the Christians who are killed, put in jail, and have their homes/church burned downed. The atheists are the ones attacking Christians in the USA with taking down nativity scenes, memorial crosses, Ten Commandments, etc . This political correct society will be the death of us.

I used to have a yahoo email account but I don't use it anymore.
And I hope all Catholics and Christians around the world close their yahoo accounts and don't visit their websiter anymore, as well.

Christians weren’t the subject of the research. Are atheists the ones doing all those things, or is it members of other religious sects?

The atheists are the ones attacking Christians in the USA with taking down nativity scenes, memorial crosses, Ten Commandments, etc . This political correct society will be the death of us.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State is hardly an atheistic organization.

[quote="cornbread_r2, post:11, topic:307997"]
Christians weren't the subject of the research. Are atheists the ones doing all those things, or is it members of other religious sects?

[="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_United_for_Separation_of_Church_and_State"]Americans United for Separation of Church and State](="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_United_for_Separation_of_Church_and_State"]Americans United for Separation of Church and State) is hardly an atheistic organization

[/quote]

The point is Christians are more persecuted than atheists 100 to1

How about the The freedom from religion foundation? The ones who are attacking Christians and monuments. The same ones who are blaspheming with bus ads mocking God

This is stupid. In nations like China and North Korea it is the Atheists who are the privileged persons and they are also the ones doing the persecution of Christians and members of other religions. In Soviet Russia Christians were persecuted quite severely under that sickening Atheistic government.

But it also points to policies in some European countries and the United States which favor the religious and their organizations and treat atheists and humanists as outsiders.

I guess you can say anything if you don’t know what you are talking about.

No one should be persecuted for their faith, or lack thereof. Period. Just because atheists are persecuting others in parts of the world does not justify them being persecuted in other parts. As to reports on religious persecution, I read this article. Granted, it is over a year old.

Relax folks...

1. The group that did the study is indeed an atheist group.
  2. They are clear it's a study on rights of atheists...so it's no surprise they don't address religious persecution - whether by other religions or atheists.
  3. In many parts of the world atheists are indeed persecuted and subject to discrimination...no surprise here.
  4. Many European countries have laws, treaties and histories of special relations with religious groups...no surprise here, but it's hard to see persecution of atheists being a significant result. But, OK it's a legit complaint as far as it goes...
  5. Several states still have laws on their books that discriminate against atheists...as they do regarding races...they are unconstitutional, but have not been cleaned up. Again, it's hard to see persecution of atheists being a significant result. But, OK it's a legit complaint as far as it goes...

Certainly no one here thinks atheists should be persecuted as they are in many places, e.g., many Islamic countries.

Certainly no one here thinks atheists should be discriminated against any more than Christians should be discriminated against.

Old laws probably should be cleaned up, but if they have no authority I can see also see arguments to simply ignore them - leaving them as a warning against, and a reminder of, the days when discrimination of this sort was common.

Certainly if Christians are discriminated against we do not demand that atheists, or others, be discriminated against too? Don't we simply demand an end to all such discrimination?

Certainly if atheists discriminate against Christians we don't demand the right to discriminate back? Don't we simply demand an end to all such discrimination?

I don't see the need for all the angst.

The point was that the thread isn’t about Christians. Not everything is.

How about the The freedom from religion foundation. The ones who are attacking Christians and monuments. The same ones who are blaspheming with bus ads mocking God

I wouldn’t be surprised if religious people also belong to the TFFRF. Get back to me then they actually start physically attacking Christians and monuments instead of just insisting on their 1st Amendment rights.

[quote="cornbread_r2, post:17, topic:307997"]
The point was that the thread isn't about Christians. Not everything is.

I wouldn't be surprised if religious people also belong to the TFFRF. Get back to me then they actually start physically attacking Christians and monuments instead of just insisting on their 1st Amendment rights.

[/quote]

Atheists play the victim and have no right to. So what is the problem with nativity scenes and monuments? That is not first amendment right to force people to give up long held traditions for very few members of the population and no need to be rude

[quote="ThatOrthodoxGuy, post:18, topic:307997"]
Atheists play the victim and have no right to. So what is the problem with nativity scenes and monuments? That is not first amendment right to force people to give up long held traditions for very few members of the population and no need to be rude

[/quote]

I'm going to let you do your own research on the issues of church/state separation vis nativity scenes and religious monuments on government (i.e. public) property. As to me being rude: Your privilege is showing.

[/quote]

Liberal media nonsense.:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.