Atheists Demand Removal of Bible Inscriptions from High School Monument

This time atheists want the removal of bible inscriptions on a high school monument in Georgia. I hope the local community will support keeping the monument untouched.

myfoxatlanta.com/story/26641336/monument-controversy

Apparently the situation is getting quite a bit of news attention. The schools superintendent sounds a bit flustered by demands he announce what the school will do.

“I’m getting emails from everywhere; Fox Friends and national news,” Madison County Schools Superintendent Allen McCannon said Tuesday: “It’s a legal matter and we’re looking into the legalities of the situation.”

The next regular board meeting is set for Oct. 14, but the board could have an earlier called meeting to discuss the issue, McCannon said.

“I’m in the process of contacting them and seeing what they are going to do,” he said.

“Everybody keeps asking if there has been a decision, but the board can only make a decision when they are in a meeting.”

However, McCannon said the school board’s attorney is also reviewing the matter.
onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2014-09-30/madison-county-school-under-fire-about-religious-quotes-football-stadium

No one asked for the inscriptions to be removed.
The complaint is that the new monument represented just one religion and that’s somewhat of an issue in a public school.
The suggestion would be to either add inscriptions from other holy scriptures as well, to be inclusive to other students…or remove the monument.
(they say the monument was donated, but they don’t say who decided on the inscription. I wonder).
Also…we don’t know if the local resident who complained is Atheist. They may believe in a God and be a member of one of many religions.
And the members of the Freedom from Religion and American Humanist Associations are not necessarily Atheists, either.
They just believe in the separation of church and school/state.

If you take something from the social structure, you Create a Void,
Something else then finds an oppertunity to fill that void,
What might that be ?

Sorry but I think this and the like are total bs. Separation of Church and state is a sham. I’ll do some more study on this and come back when I can expose this lie for what it truly is.

Thank you for reading
Josh

Exactly :thumbsup:

If you suppress religion enough, atheistic philosophies is all people have to choose from. They pretend it’s about giving everyone a ‘fair go’ when in actuality I believe it’s about eliminating the competition.

I don’t think it’s possible to include something from every religious belief on a high school monument. But why don’t we see them protesting how the Statue of Liberty only represents one religion? The Statue of Liberty is a statue of the goddess of liberty of the ancient pagan religion of the Roman Empire.

This is exactly their point. Thus they remove the competition, namely Christianity and then what is left? their atheistic philosophies, thus by removing everything else, by ‘default’ they get exactly what they want, because there’s nothing left to choose from.

…a being that hardly anyone in the world actually believes in.

Now, imagine if this were a Koran verse. I bet ya Church/State separation would suddenly be a real thing again, just like that.

Actually,

Do you believe that ‘Christianity’ and ‘Satanism should’ have the same rights to practice their faiths?

I agree with VeritasLuxMea.
Freedom of religion is also freedom from religion. If it was a verse from the Koran it becomes so simple. You would definitely want it removed or you would push for your share of space for your religious view. One of the reasons we don’t have prayer in public schools in New York state is that Catholics did not want their children being forced to say Protestant prayers. This was long before the later arguments about separation of church and state.
One reason it works so well is everyone is free to practice his own faith without others forcing theirs on you.

Can you give me a secular reason why we shouldn’t embrace eugenics? or why we should care for the poor?

We take as an article of faith that people are more valuable than trees or rocks. That humans are more valuable than animals that are bought and sold. So maybe people should think about that before they rush to separate church and state.

May I ask, do you believe that ‘Christianity’ ‘Satanism’ and ‘paganism’ should have the same rights to practice their faiths?

But a monument can’t force anyone to do anything. :shrug:

But a monument can’t force anyone to do anything. :shrug:

And I will say, and I imagine pretty much every Catholic here will agree with me, if there is a community here in the US that is predominantly Muslim with a school that is predominantly Muslim none of us would have a problem with them putting a monument there with verses from the Koran.

“There is no compulsion in religion” is a Koranic verse that probably would not generate a lot of controversy, even among bibliophobic atheists.

The Koranic verse "The son of Mary will soon descend among you and …will break the cross and kill the pig…”
on the other hand, would be a bad fit for most American high schools, at the present time at any rate.

I suppose that would depend on what the verse was endorsing.

An innocuous verse stating some positive sentiment - “Do good and avoid evil.” “Love your neighbour as yourself.” etc., would be fine from whatever religion was espousing it.

If you want to only allow texts on monuments like the Statue of Liberty merely because “hardly anyone in the world actually believes in…(fill in the blank)” then I fail to see the point of having such statements on monuments at all.

Do you mean only things no one believes should be on public monuments? What would be the point of that?

It seems to me that if you really do care for the welfare of the “great melting pot” instead of selectively squelching beliefs merely because someone who is decidedly against all ‘beliefs’ is offended, then perhaps the question to ask yourself is, “What is so offensive about allowing those who believe in God to express those beliefs?”

It seems to me that atheists who get all cold and clammy at the thought that someone else has a belief they do not share ought to be asking serious questions about their own level of intolerance instead of speaking about other religious groups potentially being offended - groups which seem never to even raise an eyebrow.

On the face of it, it certainly appears that the principal aim of humanists and secularists is to force everyone to think like they do, and espouse no religious beliefs, which is why they feign offence and get all twitchy when someone doesn’t agree with them.

Personally, the criteria for what ought to be on a public monument is not what religion the statement of belief originated from, but rather what the statement actually does say.

Is the statement itself a statement that places the public good in jeopardy? If not, then leave it alone. Allow people the freedom to express their deepest, most sincere beliefs in public. Society would be much better off.

If an atheist chooses to be offended by religious expressions, that is the atheist’s problem. If the atheist chooses to make that offence a public issue that negatively impacts others, then what is to stop a religious person from being offended by atheist propaganda and demand that anti-religious statements such as this one be banned from public view? What is good for the goose… etc.

Thank you, I agree.

From what I have read, both the American Humanist Association and the Freedom From Religion Foundation have requested that all religious messages be removed from the monument.

The Athens Banner-Herald article (see post #2) quotes the AHA’s legal director as saying that the organization would prefer to have the statue removed or modified so the religious language and symbolism is removed.

The letter which the Freedom From Religion Foundation sent to the school district makes a similar demand:

“In recognition of the District’s constitutional obligation to remain neutral towards religion, please remove the bible quotes from the monument and any other religious messages posted on District property.”
ffrf.org/images/1madisongeorgia.pdf

I think the two organizations may be adopting this approach because, as others have pointed out, accommodating all religious viewpoints is impractical.

Ah, but the Freedom From Religion Foundation is arguing that religious expression in public schools is inherently divisive. (see page 2 of their letter to the school district)

Ah, but the Freedom From Religion Foundation is arguing that religious expression in public schools is inherently divisive. (see page 2 of their letter to the school district)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.