Atheists on Youtube

On Youtube there are sOOOOO many atheists threads, so many! Has anyone ever watched them? I think I’ve watched nearly every one. Should I stop? Is it unhealthy? Frankly the blasphemy (there is a TON of it) does depress me but I like to hear the arguments.

Also, it seems that most of them are arguing against hardcore mean-spirited evengelical Christians, especially those who believe in Creationism. I cansee their point on many issues, but hate the blasphemy, especially from the Rational Response Squad.

Youtube’s kind of a cesspool, really. It has the most inane comments section I’ve ever seen online, and that’s saying something. And the RRS has a hilarious history.

I like to hear arguments at times too, but I prefer well thought out exchanges. If I just want ranting and blasphemy I’ll go play my old Carlin CDs. At least he can be funny.

“And the RRS has a hilarious history.”

What’s that?

Could I kindly suggest that you find a healtheir outlet for your wonderful enjoyment of debate. When you come to the real trials of life you will have needed to build a strong faith.

““Have nothing to do with the pointless philosophical discussions and antagonistic beliefs of the ‘knowledge’ which is not knowledge at all; by adopting this, some have gone right away from the faith. Grace be with you.” [1 Timothy 6 20-21] “The time is sure to come when, far from being content with sound teaching, people will be avid for the latest novelty and collect themselves a whole series of teachers according to their own tastes; and instead of listening to the truth, they will turn to myths.” [2 Timothy 3:3-5]

“You must all think of what is best for each other and for the community. Be happy at all times; pray constantly; and for all things give thanks to God, because this is what God expects you to do in Christ Jesus. Never try to suppress the Spirit or treat the gift of prophesy with contempt; think before you do anything—hold on to what is good and avoid every form of evil. May the God of peace make you perfect and holy; and may you be kept safe and blameless, spirit, soul and body, for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. God has called you and He will not fail you…The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.” [Thessalonians 4:14-24, 28]

I pry the following for you
“This…is what I pray before the Father from whom every family, whether spiritual or natural, takes its name: Out of His infinite glory, may He give you the power through His Spirit for your hidden self to grow strong, so that Christ may live in your hearts through faith, and then, planted in love and built on love, you will with all the saints have strength to grasp the breadth and the length, the height and the depth; until, knowing the love of Christ, which is beyond all knowledge, you are filled with the utter fullness of God.”

RRS = Rational Response Squad

I think it’s very dangerous for your spiritual well-being. It sounds like you’re spending a lot of your free time listening to this anti-God talk. Your motivation doesn’t seem to be to try and refute or convert the persons — but rather for your enjoyment, so to speak. I think it’s a real danger signal when such talk becomes a pastime you seek. What goes into our mind has a tendency to stay there – hence the importance of censoring what we read, look at, and listen to.

Please use your free time to listen to “pro-God” talk, before your desire for it gets crowded out by the other.

God bless,
Nita

You’re right that a great many atheist arguments against “Christianity” are really arguments against fundamentalist-leaning, bible-only Christianity, and not applicable to Catholicism. But that’s a hard message to get out.

I would agree to stay away from it on their as well. I used to spend a LOT of time on the bodybuilding.com forums. (Not the same as youtube, but…) They have a misc. section, with a religion\politics subsection. If I spend too much time reading there, I actually begin to question things myself. While there are a good number of decent posts, they are simply OVER RUN with teen, and sometimes not so teen, atheists, who are simply out to destroy any glimmer of hope or faith anyone might have.

At times, I really wish I was good at apologetics, at least somewhat, to attempt to do something with these types. I found in the end however, it is simply easier to avoid the forum altogether…it’s far to depressing.

Thank you, but with all respect, you do not know me. I’ve engaged in alot of debates privately with Atheists. They’re not all bad, they’re not all some hideous evil satain worshiping monster having no values. Some I respect, to a certain degree. Though some are so vile it’s saddening. But my mind is not weak, I do not fall astray because of it. In fact, I like hearing the best arguments so I know what to expect. Sometimes, they DO make a good point, but over all I think it’s obvious they just HATE the character of God.

God bless you too.

It would be unhealthy if you feel you are suggestable and would start believing that rubbish.

But you obviously aren’t suggestable; you’re strong and you can deal with it.

There might be some practicality in listening to their arguments. Even if you don’t respond to them, you could formulate your own smart, academic, intelligent response. Maybe atheists on the street might argue with you; you’d be armed with an answer and you’d be ready to fire back. You might even write books one day on the topic.

The reality of course is that internet posts like that are the modern-day equivalent of the nutcase on the street. Their opinions don’t matter. They’re idiots. It’s a harsh thing to say but it’s very often true. They blab on and on without knowing what they’re talking about. Politics and religion both suffer from people who like to complain and won’t bother trying to really learn anything.

The problem though is that a lot of people don’t recognise the uselessness of what those liars say and they take it up as truth. That’s the evil of ignorance that will pervail over society and the only thing we can do is arm ourselves with truthful responses. You yourself are arming yourself, and that is commendable.

“They’re idiots. It’s a harsh thing to say but it’s very often true.”

I don’t think the Truth is harsh at all. :slight_smile:

One thing I will say, their arrogance and blasphemy lately is beginning to depress me. Maybe I should stop.

I hope you do make the decision to stop! :slight_smile:

Take good care of yourself! Best wishes, Trishie

Is funny I asked my Spiritual; Director this same question and he said “Why do you want to deal with all that negativism? When the good Lord returns he is not going to ask how well did you defended my gospel but, when I was hungry did you feed me? when I was sick did you visit me, when I was homeless did your helped me?”

There’s nothing I can do. I’m pathetic when it comes to the Lord. Period. I can’t imagine Him wanting me, not anymore.

Go to Catholic Tube…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.