Atheists Want Sign Honoring 9-11 Firefighters Removed

ATHEISTS WANT SIGN HONORING 9-11 FIREFIGHTERS REMOVED
A group of New York City atheists is demanding that the city remove a street sign honoring seven firefighters killed in the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks because they said the sign violates the separation of church and state.

The street, “Seven in Heaven Way,” was officially dedicated last weekend in Brooklyn outside the firehouse where the firefighters once served. The ceremony was attended by dozens of firefighters, city leaders and widows of the fallen men.

“There should be no signage or displays of religious nature in the public domain,” said Ken Bronstein, president of New York City Atheists. “It’s really insulting to us.”

:rolleyes:

Fundamentalist Anti-Theists are trying to impose their religion on us and I feel that is really insulting.They want us off in a corner in order that we cannot perform our God given task of evangelizing the world.

What about their Anti-Theist signs on buses-they are trying to proselytize and while I find it personally insulting I would never DREAM of demanding they be taken down.

Let `em be insulted!
Do they really think we believe them?

One day, the silent “don`t care” majority might wake up and see their agenda.

I’m a staunch advocate of the separation of Church and State, but I think Bronstein and the New York City Atheist Group are wrong on this one. This is not a public endorsement of religion; it is a memorial for seven firefighters. And as long as none of the families involved are complaining, it seems unjustified to me to take down the sign. One other thing: Bronstein makes the point that heaven is a Christian concept. Well, yes it is; but isn’t he aware it is not ONLY a Christian concept?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

well its insulting to us Christians whenever we cant publicly show the Faith

Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free practice thereof.

People keep seeming to forget the second part of the first amendment.

sigh -___- These anti-Religious people are so annoying. Like they can be an Atheists but I would appreciate it if they stop trying to make everything so Communistic. :mad: I mean it’s okay if you don’t believe in God, but they need stop infringing on other people’s rights >=O That’s like taking down Father’s days signs because it’s offensive to kids with single mothers T.T I swear, even the belief in a high power is offensive to these Anti-Theistic people. :banghead: The Constitution advocates for Freedom of Speech, Religion, and Religious expression.

I find Mr. Bronstein’s comments insulting to the memory of the seven firefighters and the feelings of their families and friends. This was not done with his group in mind and in no way harms Mr. Bronstein.

:thumbsup: You said that much better than I did. :stuck_out_tongue:

And that there is no true wall of separation nor has any court agreed with that thought process. We are not France for pete sakes!

the-american-catholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/atheism-300x300.jpg

To believe that our unfathomably complex and ordered universe came into being out of nothing by spontaneous happenstance is tantamount to a belief in magic and hardly less fideistic than the traditional postulate of a prior cause.

(Someone else said this but I wish I did)

Be insulted, they should of ashamed of themselves. These type of atheists are the reason why atheists are one of the least trusted groups in America.

:clapping:

This atheist doesn’t have any problem with the sign. I may not believe in heaven, but I wouldn’t kick up a fuss about a sign like this put up by people that do.

Militant Atheists really get on my nerves. We live in America where we have freedom of speech and freedom of religion, not in Communist China where people have neither.

Not just people but the judicial as well. Which brings up an important point, if the judicial is going to ignore or violate the Constitution, then don’t we need a powerful central government to step in when the judicial goes awry?

No. We need a Congress that remembers that it has the authority to limit the scope of the Supreme Court and has the power to amend the Constitution to establish protection of rights that are being violated by SCOTUS. Everyone keeps thinking that the SCOTUS is the end all be all of the law. Not true. SCOTUS is a co-equal branch of the government and it has checks against its power as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.