Atheists: Why Are They so Malicious?

For the past couple of weeks I have been veiwing the videos posted on youtube by one ‘brett keane’, an atheist. Call it morbid curiosity, but I couldn’t resist watching his videos. Even when they were offensive.

He stated in several of his videos that he welcomes alternative points of view from subscribers and doesn’t mind people disagreeing with him. He portrayed himself as being an open minded sort of person who respects other people’s differences, and feels no anger or hate for anyone with a disagreement.

Like an idiot, I thought he was actually telling the truth when he stated this and I made the mistake of making a statement that wasn’t in line with his thinking. I wasn’t rude. I wasn’t preachy. I wasn’t crude. Look at the exchange that went on between me and Mr. Keane below (text response area):

youtube.com/watch?v=sOwiFG2LWYM

As you can see, I did nothing wrong whatsoever. Mr. Keane’s choice to block me was unreasonable and malicious. It made absolutely no sense for him to get that upset when it was him who originally invited alternative veiwpoints. I guess Mr. Keane has shown his true colors. He is just another nasty, mean, hateful, arrogant atheist.

But I guess that’s the typical nastiness of internet atheists. I am very disappointed. I was hoping Brett Keane would be the first reasonable internet atheist I would run across. I guess there are none.

I’m happy my belief system doesn’t require me to hate other people, and act so maliciously.

They all fall into one of two categories: 1) ignorant, 2) malicious

Unfortunately, most of them fit into the latter… otherwise they wouldn’t be as vocal as they are about slinging mud at everybody else.

Well now that I think about it, I guess it’s possible for an atheist to be both those things… I should have said specifically that some are “unwillingly ignorant”.:o

shortylarock (58 minutes ago) marked as spam
Interesting.

A life lost by accident is different than a life that has been taken. Just my opinion.

brettkeane (44 minutes ago) marked as spam
As usual you missed the point.
(Reply) (Spam)

shortylarock (42 minutes ago) marked as spam
Ok. Are you saying that the pro-life people are regarding something that isn’t a life as if it were?
(Reply) (Spam)

brettkeane (40 minutes ago) marked as spam
May I suggest a channel more suitable for your way of thinking. Perhaps Pee Wee’s playhouse is more up your alley.

At this point, I tell Mr. Kean that being rude to people isn’t the best way of convincing them that his way of thinking is right.

He rpied to that by saying he wasn’t trying to convince me of anything, and that he refuses to reply to me any longer. At that point he blocked me.

He deleted the last part before I could copy it.

Yeah, that’s pretty typical… although it’s rare that I see one quite that easily made to go berserk. In debates they really have little else to resort to than ad hominem attacks.

Found the other half!

(Reply) (Spam)
shortylarock (51 minutes ago) marked as spam
I’m not sure if insulting people is the best way of convincing them that your position is right. But to each his own I guess

brettkeane (48 minutes ago) marked as spam
Did I claim I was trying to convince you of anything? Every video so far you miss the point. I will not bother responding to you anymore.

The first atheist I actually tried to listen to and understand turns out to be rude and vicious. It’s comical, really - since atheists complain that nobody listens to them or fairly allows them to state thier case.:rolleyes:

He is not worth your time Chris, he could not state his position if opposed and still continue with dialoge. He must be very troubled to feel the way he does and my gut instinct is that he must be unhappy he was born.

And therefore, he “fights” on behalf of all those who “should not have been born”

Lets hope he gets help, soon.

I agree with the OP here.

I truly believe all atheists are lost. They need SOMEONE to validate their ‘knowledge’, and if you can’t validate their thoughts/feelings, then you are of no use to them.

“The less we know, the longer the explanation.” I think that’s most atheists motto!

The first atheist I actually tried to listen to and understand turns out to be rude and vicious.

He is just another nasty, mean, hateful, arrogant atheist.

Emphasis added. You’ve only listened to one, but you know the generalization is true?

I know of atheist sites that I as an atheist consider beyond the pale and you can find counter-examples on the theist side that are equally nasty. In my experience and for what it’s worth, theist sites are vastly more likely to censor than atheist ones. The atheist ones seem more likely to welcome theists for target practice.

If you want a civil discourse with atheists, you can try the Debunking Christianity site or you should seek out sites run and frequented by people who also happen to be atheists, as opposed to expressly atheist sites. It’s a subtle difference, but a significant one.

I’m happy my belief system doesn’t require me to hate other people, and act so maliciously.

So am I. I am unabashed about disliking individuals and belief systems as I see fit, though.

There is no such thing as an atheist. No for any length of time, anyways.

If a person REALLY came to the conclusion that there is NO God, then it necessarily follows that ALL life is just a random chance of complex chemical reactions. Anybody who REALLY believes that is sure to jump off a skyscraper the first time something unpleasant and persistant happens to him!

Many who claim the title ‘atheist’ would object to this characterization, of course. But they are just fooling themselves. They DO believe in an intrinsic value and dignity in human life and just haven’t yet reasoned the incompatibility of THAT belief with a belief that life is just a random accident of chemistry (aka atheism). Random chemical reactions do not have dignity! So it is my belief that those who intellectually reject the existence of God haven’t really done so with their soul unless they are truly on the verge of total despair.

There is no such thing as a theist. Not for very long, anyways!

If a person REALLY came to the conclusion that there is a God, won’t the first thing they want to do be to join him in Heaven? Anybody who REALLY believes all that will be napping on the train tracks as soon as they come to the realization!

Some people don’t believe. I’m afraid their lack of belief is just as legitimate and just as passionately held as your faith.

Maybe the theist feels that God wants them to enjoy life here first before going to be with him.

I’m not generalizing. I’m just drawing a conclusion based upon my personal experience. My biggest issue was the deception of the man on youtube. He portrayed himself as kind, and open to having a respectful discussion. I don’t like dishonesty. If he’s going to be nasty, then he should come right out and tell people he’s nasty.

Help me out here, passionate belief is one thing. Does passionate DIS-belief means you actively seek out believers in order to debunk them? Is that what you are trying to say? How do you passionately NOT do something? The closest you can come is hate. True disbelief is indifference. Indifferent people don’t make videos and post them to Youtube, sorry. You, I can believe, are a decent person, but this dude is an ANTI-thiest. It’s not enough for HIM not to believe, he can’t stand the thought of living in a world where ANYBODY believes. That’s a little sad and very selfish.

I had to put in my two cents. I find it particularly intresting that atheist really flip flop on their emtions alot . For instance they say they dont believe in God but I have been confused because I also see and have heard how much they hate God and why they could not believe in any religion.
Now my question is this why would you waste so much energy hating something that does not exist for you? It just does not make any sense to me. Alot of the hate banter they go off with is what makes me think that deep inside them they know what is truth but fight it tooth and nail with the ilogic rantings they give off.
OP your myspace is cute :wink: . Dont worry about them too much, people like this will be willing to hear you when they are ready to humble themselves and accept God then you can start working on them.

:blushing:

Yeah, he sounds like a grade-A windbag, but he’s hardly representative of all non-theists. I was going after manualman’s generalization :slight_smile:

[quote=Grateful4Mercy]Help me out here, passionate belief is one thing. Does passionate DIS-belief means you actively seek out believers in order to debunk them? Is that what you are trying to say? How do you passionately NOT do something? The closest you can come is hate. True disbelief is indifference. Indifferent people don’t make videos and post them to Youtube, sorry. You, I can believe, are a decent person, but this dude is an ANTI-thiest. It’s not enough for HIM not to believe, he can’t stand the thought of living in a world where ANYBODY believes. That’s a little sad and very selfish.
[/quote]

Atheism is not disbelief but contra-belief: faith in the non-existence of a deity. Disbelief is agnosticism, and as an agnostic I am not out to make converts (just representing the minority here :wink: ) – although I do of course think it’d be just peachy if people could stop arguing about whether or not there’s somebody watching us from up in the sky and think like me!

Most atheists also are not particularly belligerent; it’s the people like this guy who give them that image, just as religion has its own aggressive, anti-alternate-thought preachers. For every Richard Dawkins or Youtube Guy, there’s a Pat Robertson or a James Dobson. Extremists of any stripe do not properly represent the groups to which they belong, and particularly in the case of atheism vs. theism, it’s high time both sides realize that.

That would be a legitimate question if it weren’t a straw man. You have to define ‘hate’ and define what it is that’s allegedly being ‘hated’.

I have never encountered a bona fide god-hater, but I won’t contest that they exist. The general statement that (all) atheists hate god is easily falsified and it’s arguable if a god-hater even fits the definition of an atheist.

If you are one of the many theists who equate opposition in any way, shape, or form to religion as 'hateful", then you should qualify what you said accordingly.

[quote=Mirdath]For every Richard Dawkins or Youtube Guy, there’s a Pat Robertson or a James Dobson.
[/quote]

I take strong exception to putting Richard Dawkins on a par with the likes of Robertson or Dobson. All that Dawkins does is dare to question the undeserved privilege of religion and rightfully so; Robertson and Dobson preach hate, plain and simple. Dawkins is actually rather soft-spoken, whereas the other two and their ilk conjure up images of a rabid animal frothing at the mouth.

Just throwing this out there:

shortylarock (5 days ago) marked as spam
If someone ends up in hell, it won’t be because God put them there. It will be because they put themselves there. We were given a way out.
(Reply) (Spam)

brettkeane (5 days ago) marked as spam
Hey retard. The bible says God will put them there. Buzz off.
(Reply) (Spam)

:rolleyes:

Dawkins may be correct, but he’s certainly less than tactful. Nonetheless, you’re quite right about his not being at the level of those two. Apologies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.