Athiests who claim to be historians

Peace be with you!

Gotta love these people, huh? I’ve recently been debating this girl (or woman, I guess, or so she claims) on another site. She’s an athiest and claims to teach Irish history four times per year. Now Irish history happens to be my specialty…and she cited Martin Luther as the cause of the Troubles (she didn’t even call them the Troubles…the sign of someone who really doesnt know as much as they claim to) in Ireland. It was not until I told her she was wrong and that the only way you could use him was to say he started Protestantism…but that’s still a stretch. Then she comes back and says “Yes, well, he started Protestantism, which led to the problems.” Well, isn’t that what I just said was quite a stretch? That isn’t even the base problem…it’s SO much more complicated than just that.

I’ve also caught her on some other HUGE inaccuracies. I’m sure you’re all familiar with the section in the catholic.com library about the “inventions”…well, she tried to claim the same thing as Lorainne Boettner and cite the “council of Valencia”. I sometimes have trouble phrasing things as clear as I’d like when I’m typing online (I’m better at formal papers and explaining things vocally) so I paraphrased from this site. She tried to nail me on that, but didn’t realize that this site is not the only place I get my info about the Church. I guess she also didn’t realize that (and I did make this clear to her) Catholics get the same accusations ALL THE TIME. Are we supposed to use a different answer every time we do to avoid giving the same answer as someone else??? Not only would that be ridiculous, it sure would lose a lot of credibility for Catholics to be answering the same questions differently, wouldn’t it? But of course, according to her, I’m just brainwashed by the Church.

Sorry for the rant, lol. Anyone else been talking to people like this?

In Christ,
Rand

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Peace be with you!

Sorry for the rant, lol. Anyone else been talking to people like this?

In Christ,
Rand
[/quote]

Rand,

Yes, the CARM Forums are full of them–well, Protestants who claim to be historians.

• Liberian

[quote=Liberian]Rand,

Yes, the CARM Forums are full of them–well, Protestants who claim to be historians.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

I know one Protestant who says pretty much every Church Father frequently contradicted himself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.