Attended my first Mass

Hi, my name is Bruce and today I visited my first Mass:extrahappy: And better yet it was an Easter Mass. I attended a local Parish located in the heart of Wilmington, DE called “Saint Anthony of Padua”. The Priest is Father John F. McGliney.

Wow, where to start. First it’s been on my heart to attend a Catholic Mass for the longest time. My interest surprisingly started when an agnostic friend came to be with all these sources that was bias towards Christianity. I watched the videos he presented me and the sources themselves were and seemed so bias and not reliable and it led me to research Christianity for myself. During this stage my faith was shaken being as though my life was so twisted and weird considering I work a job that requires me to work every weekend. So church in general was hard. And I really didn’t have a good ground or home for my faith in general. So that was Satan opening to target my faith. I got shaken up and decided to research. It started with how history dates itself way back to Judah and then worked its way to Jesus Christ and then I continued my search and noticed that the Church was put in the hands of the Apostles (St. Peter and St. Paul) and as I made progress I read in amazement how these Apostles manage to preserve Tradition for centuries. I then began to notice that the Catholic Church was in the mixture of this progression. I always thought the Bible fell out the sky (figuratively speaking) and that’s how we got Sacred Scriptures. I never knew it was the Catholic Church that created the Canon to counter the heresies that were being brought forward after Jesus Christ’s death.

I traced the Traditions (baptism, Eucharist, etc.) which were being practiced and that Scripture wasn’t even thought about until the 1500’s. That’s when we encountered the Protestant Reformation. Man’s pride went against the Church. She was attacked vigorously by men who wanted change. Which I could understand considering Sin is visible in every human being but what the change they wanted has led to many different interpretations of Scriptures and has really shaken up any chance of an unbeliever to come to Christ because there are over 15,000 or more interpretations of Scripture that you can’t even tell who is true. But I do know and its historically proven that the Catholic (Universal) Church was there sense the beginning and has been withstanding every single attack that She faces. Some of Protestants of today’s world really don’t know nothing about the Reformation. I was surprised after my research that when I would talk of the Reformation, people would say “Martin who? Or Calvin who? What he do? What happened in the 1500’s? That’s not true”. I’m like wow its proven through history!!:eek:

I grew up Protestant however. In the Pentecostal denomination. Got baptized at the age of 14. Didn’t know anything of my belief. But that Jesus loves you and you should keep praising and worshiping and then you will feel the Holy Spirit take over your body and you will be speaking in tongues. That’s a sign that your saved. Because I just couldn’t understand what I was believing. That stuck with me many years of my life until recently. I have been searching for the Truth and I believe the Truth has grasped me and not letting me go at all.

The Parish I attended today is huge and very historical at that. Before I approached the doors there was a statue and a fountain of St. Anthony. While approaching the Parish my heart was just jumping & pounding with excitement. My friend, who is a practicing Catholic went with me for guidance. I appreciate him really. He doesn’t really attend Mass as often as he would want to but he felt so alive being at the Mass today that I think I created a spark. But as I walked into the Parish I looked immediately ahead and saw a statue of Jesus so wonderful crafted and looked up at the ceiling at the artwork. It was like being in a true Church. Tradition at that. I seen various artwork of Saints, sculptures of other Saints. I even seen Mother Mary up front near the Priest. I sat real close up near the altar in the pew. We were the first ones there. I felt uncomfortable because I was the only biracial (mother-African American/father- Caucasian). But I still felt at home because it was Jesus and the member’s friendly embrace that captured my interest.

The “altar children” that’s what my friend calls them. Came out to light the candles and then a lady got up and started singing hymns. Then Father John proceeded down the aisle and got sat in the chair. During the hymns I couldn’t help my focus my attention on Jesus. It’s such a different perspective when you’re looking at Christ from the Catholic perspective. It’s like you’re getting the whole communion with Christ and not partial. It was actually pretty funny because when Father John got up to talk about full communion with Christ the sun would shine through the Parish’s glass windows and would shine on everyone. It was so cloudy in the morning before I went to Church and we were expecting rain (70% chance). And today turned out to be sunny and beautiful lol

But pretty much I expected a lot what I researched for the Mass. A lot of kneeling, standing and sitting. Which isn’t really a problem with me considering its tradition anyway. I got really excited when we got to the part about greeting someone near to you and telling them “Peace be unto you”. I greeted everyone around me and everyone was happy and excited I was like “THIS IS WHAT I WANT! FAMILY ORIENTED TRADITION HOLY ONE CHURCH!”

I loved everything about the Easter Mass. I wish I had enough energy to attend the Easter Vigil last night but I was so tired. I will next year though. I was way too shy and didn’t know what to expect today.

Holy Communion was next and I stood at the pew while everyone received partake with the Eucharist. It was nice watching everyone partake and even noticed a few people worked with was there also!

Continued from post 1…

Overall the hymns were spot on, the experience was beautiful. I want to go next Sunday but unfortunately I work. I will go again in August though. And I plan to talk with the Priest soon. I really want to come Home. It’s been forever. I can even tell everyone on the forums that I feel so different after I began to research the One Holy Apostolic Catholic Church. It’s like my view about woman (thanks to Love & Responsibility and Theology of the Boy by Pope John Paul II) has changed. I no longer view women as objects but as divine human sexual being with conjunction with the male that were put on this Earth to show the image of what God is and He is LOVE! We can see what He is through the Sacrament of Marriage and the Eucharist. My stubborn, selfish outlook about the materialistic things in this world has changed. It’s amazing. One thing I do need help with is opening up and expressing myself and to not be afraid of what people think about me. I was so scared to attending the Mass today, because my whole life I was taking in all this hatred against the Church. About how has pagan roots and Constantine founded the Church and the worship of Mary and praying to the dead.

All those things were discarded the moment I stepped foot in St. Anthony of Padua Parish. Father John not one time worshipped Mary during the Mass. They thanked her but didn’t worship her. All Christians she be thankful that Mary was sinless and a virgin to birth our Lord Jesus Christ. Pagan roots? More like Scared Traditions if you ask me that has been passed down through the centuries. I couldn’t believe what people told me anymore. I had to experience it for myself and I must say I’m so happy and thankful. God has breathed His Truth in my life. I must put what God has brought to my heart, soul and mind. And join the Holy Catholic Church. I know my faith and soul will be secured with what Jesus Christ wanted from the beginning. One Church he would come back to for his Bride to marry and save!

Thank you Jesus Christ and Mother Mary and even all the Saints. I LOVE all of you and pray one day I’m can partake in communion and be confirmed with the Church.

Sorry for the long post, just had to express what was on my heart.

Bruce

Welcome to the most wonderful journey of your life! I hope you will be at the Easter Vigil next year - and I hope you will be one of the ones up at the front receiving their Sacraments for the very first time. :thumbsup:

Remember you can always attend a Saturday night mass if you work on Sundays. It seems like going until August would be a long time to go without attending a mass, especially because you seem so eager to learn about the Church.

I was just confirmed last night and one thing that was really attractive to me about the Catholic church is that we really use our buildings! Its not just a Sunday morning thing, most parishes have mass nearly every day…

Happy Easter to you, and prayers for you on your journey into the Church!

Welcome brother if your cable tv company carries EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network) there are many programs there that speak on Catholicism. The Journey home is one program taht masy interest you its quests are protestants that returned to the catholic Faith and they speak on what it was in thier lives that led them to change to Catholicism. God Bless you on this joyous Easter Day.

Just what I wanted to say! And welcome to being found :slight_smile:

Talk with a priest as soon as you can, and maybe your work schedule can be changed enough for you to attend Mass? I have seen churches in some places which Mass at so many times, from 5 or 5:30 Saturday vigil Masses to early Sunday all the way through to 6 pm Sunday evening.

Howdy, neighbor (fellow Delawarean here)! :wave: Your account of the Mass you experienced today was beautiful to read, and like the others who have already posted I hope you’ll be joining us in full Communion next Easter! God bless you on your journey.

Hola:D, what Parish do you currently attend?

Thank you everyone for the comments. I plan to attend the Mass as much as possible. But I have a scheduled worked out to accommodate my school schedule. So its pretty hard to change that.

But my interest is and will still be here for the Catholic Church. How does the RCIA classes work or Conformation work? Do I sit down with the Priest immediately or schedule a day?

I want to know these things. Surprisingly some things I told my friend about certain aspects of the Catholic Church, he really didn’t know and I surprised him lol:rolleyes:

Hola, what Parish do you currently attend?

Immaculate Heart of Mary up in the Brandywine Hundred area.

I plan to attend the Mass as much as possible. But I have a scheduled worked out to accommodate my school schedule. So its pretty hard to change that.

Understandable. Still, you’d be surprised at how many Masses are offered over the weekend. Hopefully you can find at least one that fits your schedule. Check out Masstimes.org and search by your zip code. The Catholic Diocese of Wilmington’s website is a great resource, too—they have a list of all the parishes in New Castle County with links to their websites (cdow.org/cgi-bin/project/project.cgi?product=Castle).

But my interest is and will still be here for the Catholic Church. How does the RCIA classes work or Conformation work? Do I sit down with the Priest immediately or schedule a day?

Call up the rectory and explain that you’re interested in RCIA. There should be someone who coordinates it who can get in touch with you. At my parish, RCIA starts around September and meets for classes once a week. Adult baptisms, confirmations and first Eucharist are done at the Easter vigil Mass.

I am SO HAPPY for you!!!

:dancing::extrahappy::dancing:

Welcome home! Sounds like the Holy Spirit reached you all right, but no tongues are necessary, he has opened your heart to the truth!

As for RCIA, there will be classes at all the churches, you need to call them and ask for the schedule. If there is one church you wish to attend for the classes, that is more convenient to you, or that you feel comfortable attending, go there and sign up, and yes, I would also talk to the priest if possible.

You are the person I search for in church, especially on days like today. I know you are in the pews and I want to welcome you with a huge smile and if you are near me, “Peace be with you!” And I mean it from the bottom of my heart!!

I will call up. I will call tomorrow since I’m off from work. I want to get started ASAP! I’m just worried about what my family (Protestant/Pentecostal) might think because I have yet to let them know about my recent interest in the Catholic Church.:blush:

:blush:

What’s so funny is that I was the only non-Catholic there if I recall correctly! The majority of everyone got up for communion. So I stood. I remember turning around and seeing all these smiling faces at me. I think it made them happy to see someone learning. I was going to embrace them but again I’m to shy so I smiled back and continued to observe!!!

I’m just way to afraid to explain to my mother or family (Protestant/Fundamental Pentecostals) for that matter about my so to be conversion. I’m so scared to hear them say “I’m going to Hell”, I’m following idols or worshipping statues. This is going to be something that is going to either be something they will accept or reject.

Only time will tell. I gave my mother a hint today I attended the Mass, but she shrugged it off like the conversation wasn’t important.

My daughter wanted to go to church she had never went before. So I figured a to insure I had to never have to take her back I wanted to pick the dullest domination I could think of. So off to a catholic mass we went. It was the first day of lint and time change so as we sat there for a hour weighting for mass to start her excitement quickly vanished. I made her stay until people were drinking wine. She was grossed out by people drinking out of the same cup. Thank god she will never ask me to do that again. OH she wants to know what is in the gold box in the front? I told her it is a box of god but she did not believe me she is eight. She quit believing in Santa and Easter the Bunny it is harder to get her to fall for this god thing as she gets older.

[quote=xlost6;7795803I’m just worried about what my family (Protestant/Pentecostal) might think because I have yet to let them know about my recent interest in the Catholic Church.:blush:
[/QUOTE]

I also knew that my family would be “concerned” about my decision to convert to Catholicism. I can’t really blame them. I had held some negative preconceptions myself.

Before telling them, I prepared my responses to many of the normal hot button topics. I had several pages typed up. After telling them, I asked them to read what I had written. I believe that it helped to put them at ease.

You may not be ready to defend the faith yet, but be prepared to make your case as to why the Catholic Church is worth seriously considering and learning more about. In a charitable way, of course.
[/quote]

I also knew that my family would be “concerned” about my decision to convert to Catholicism. I can’t really blame them. I had held some negative preconceptions myself.

Before telling my parents, I prepared responses to many of the normal hot button topics. I had several pages typed up. After telling them, I asked them to read what I had written. I believe that it helped to put them at ease. After they had time to digest it, I began to discuss it with them. A little at a time.

You may not be ready to defend the faith yet, but try to be prepared to make your case as to why the Catholic Church is worth seriously considering and learning more about. In a charitable way, of course.

I’m assuming from your post than you’re younger than me. That said we can all be worried and scared of others reactions to what we say and do. I read that you are fearful of your mother’s reaction to your interest in and attending the Catholic church.

Briefly, I was the piano player, newsletter and program editor and taught sunday school at my Baptist church for 33 years. Other than my spouse and adult children I had no family to think I had lost my mind. What I did have was a large, loving church family who were accustomed to seeing me there each time the doors were opened. My first mass was at the request of my five year old grandson (we’ve raised him from birth and are his guardians). He attended Kindergarten at our local Catholic school. He wanted to go to a “Mass”. So we went. The Holy Spirit met me at the door. I knew I had been moving through the motions for a long time and didn’t “feel” my faith anpy longer.

I never returned to the Baptist church I attended. I planned on going back and explaiing why I was leaving but the Pastor personally excommunicated me on the spot. Guess he felt I would try and influence others over what was happening to me.

I prayed and felt such peace regarding what I was doing. I know the Holy Spirit was there with me through what followed or I would have never made it. These people that I known, attended church with and loved for years turned their back on me. They prayed that I would “see” the error of my ways and daily called or came by to educate me about the evil of the Catholic faith.

I finally sent a letter explaining …that I loved and respected them. I knew the Holy Spirit and a five year old boy had led me to a spiritual rebirth. I had found a faith that so agreed with what I believed and so awakened my spirit. I was called an idiot and idol worshipper, but it seemed the more arrows that were flung at me the more that God handled the ridicule of others.

I pray that nothing that drastic will happen between you and your mother. As you learn (RCIA) and grow in the faith you will be able to answer the questions your mother might have. The Catholic church believes in God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit – just as her faith does. Hopefully she will respect that you’ve found a faith that will sustain you now and forever. God can handle the hearts and minds of others.

I don’t know if I can really say welcome home since I’m not officially Catholic, but God bless you!

My family members are all fundamentalist except for one cousin.

It all started with the Matriarch, my grandmother who is deceased. As a young girl she was Catholic and “lived in darkness” according to her account. Then God supposedly “delivered” her from darkness and she then begat generations of Pentecostals and one Baptist (my mom), who brought us up mostly Baptist.

Sometimes family surprises you I confided in my two sisters and they were surprising supportive. One of my sisters told my mom unexpectedly without my knowing. I just found out.

Before I found out, we had been speaking on the phone on Good Friday. She knows I sing at a Reformed church on Good Friday. She asked me what I did that day and I reminded her that I sing with the choir. Then I told her that I attended another church after that. I attended a Catholic Church but I didn’t tell he the Church was Catholic.

She gave me a small sarcastic laugh and said “You’re so religious now”. I asked her what was funny. Isn’t it awesome to be in Church all day? She said she would pray for me.

Later I texted my sister and told her not to say anything to my Mom and that I would tell her in my own time and she told me it was too late.

That was painful. But the fact that my two sisters were supportive was great. You may be able to find a family member who will be supportive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.