Attending mass as visitor?

I totally agree. The information on the internet was very limited when I tried to locate Latin masses scheduled in my area. As I recall, one of them stated that the mass would be held “according to the Roman rite” and the second simply stated that it would be given “in Latin”. Both of the masses I attended this morning were Low Masses. I plan on attending another one this coming Sunday (again, strictly for the experience).

I cannot explain why I found it so jarring to hear the priest switch from Latin to German, but barring a sudden change of heart I will plan on only attending Latin masses in future.

Usually at a Latin Mass, from what I’ve seen, the priest will read the Gospel in the vernacular before he gives his homily.

The Fraternity of St Peter do this in the UK (at least the ones at Reading do). When Bishop Schneider said a Pontifical Mass at their church the readings were in Latin, followed by an English translation. Then at other Latin Masses there is no translation at all.

Personally I prefer a straight reading in the vernacular. I feel the Word is better proclaimed so that it is heard and understood.

How does this work? Does the priest keep two Missals at the altar? (The 62 Missal is written entirely in Latin.) Or does he skip the Gospel reading at the altar?

The priest first reads them in Latin, then reads a translation afterwards of both the Gospel and the Epistle. The prayers after Mass are also said in English. Personally I prefer this as I do feel that the Word ought to be proclaimed in a way that people can hear and understand it. A hymn in English is also included at the end of Mass. Rosary before Mass is also said in English. There is quite a bit of vernacular around the Sunday Masses said by the FSSP. I think the FSSP are a great example of how to approach Latin Mass without leaving themselves open to the uncharitable snipes and barbs of “being stuck in the past” etc.

One pastor who says the EF as well as the OF discontinued using the vernacular at the Latin Mass. I think his intention was/is to make it equally appealing to both the Hispanic and Anglophone population in his parish. There are both Latin-Spanish and Latin-English missalettes available at the Mass. The times he has the sermon in both English and Spanish draws a larger crowd.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.