Attending mass in a state of mortal sin

Hi, A few hours ago I committed a mortal sin and I feel very bad about it, I am planning on going to confession on Saturday. I know I can not receive communion until After I have confessed but I was wondering If I attend mass Tommrow will Receive any graces from it?
I wasn't going to go at first worried of what people might think of me not going up to receive but then I realized it would be better to go to mass.
God Bless

I would encourage you to attend mass none the less, hearing the word and being close to Jesus does bring grace to us even in this predicament.
Do not worry about what other people think, rather think what Jesus thinks which is FAR more important. :thumbsup:

[quote="taylormcbee, post:1, topic:326689"]
I wasn't going to go at first worried of what people might think of me not going up to receive but then I realized it would be better to go to mass.
God Bless

[/quote]

People choose not receive Communion for many reasons: not properly prepared by fasting, already received at another Mass, etc. Don't worry. :)

It would be highly recommended to go to mass. You would receive graces from it though they will not even be close to as efficacious as when you are in a state of grace. God is always listening even when not in a state of grace. Clearly though as you said you should not take communion.

God Bless

[/quote]

Most people won't even notice that you don't receive, and those who do notice don't matter. Go to Mass and receive the graces from that, and let it inspire you to not only get to Confession as soon as possible, but to "go and sin no more".

It is always good to attend Mass, even if we cannot receive communion.

Hi, A few hours ago I committed a mortal sin and I feel very bad about it, I am planning on going to confession on Saturday. I know I can not receive communion until After I have confessed but I was wondering If I attend mass Tommrow will Receive any graces from it?
God Bless

[/quote]

I fail to see how its their business and they need to pay attention to Mass.

Yes, it is always a good thing to go to mass. Though you will not receive any graces, it's still a good thing to do. :thumbsup:

[quote="Catholic_Wife, post:5, topic:326689"]
Most people won't even notice that you don't receive, and those who do notice don't matter. Go to Mass and receive the graces from that, and let it inspire you to not only get to Confession as soon as possible, but to "go and sin no more".

[/quote]

I agree

When I came back to the Church about a year and a half ago, it took me some time to build up the courage to go to confession, since it had been so many years. I nevertheless attended mass daily, and this helped strengthen both my courage and my desire to confess, so that I could receive communion.

God Bless

[/quote]

As Mass is the highest form of prayer you can always receive grace from going to Mass. Also, there have been many times in my life that I have not received communion, and nobody ever said a word or asked why. I would strongly advise going to the Mass, most parishes have a hymnal or missalette that has a spiritual communion prayer (normally the one by St. Francis of Assisi). Anyways, its always a great idea to attend the Mass. If you are in a state of mortal sin, don't partake, but you should go to Mass regardless.

I wasn't going to go at first worried of what people might think of me not going up to receive

[/quote]

*This *is one of the most spiritually harmful thoughts the devil could suggest to a soul.

Never listen to that thought.

When someone asked s. Padre Pio if there were any benefits in simply hearing Mass, he replied: "they cannot be enumerated...you will see them in heaven".

Focus on what God thinks, and God alone. You are who you are in the eyes of God. If people compliment you, that does not make you more of what you are in God's eyes. If people criticize you, that does not make you any less than you are in God's eyes.

Perfect contrition united to the desire to confess as soon as possible, the Church teaches, suffice to obtain remission of mortal sin and restoration of sanctifying grace. While you are not properly disposed to receive Communion until after confession, do not necessarily consider yourself in a state of mortal sin...rather, as St. Joan of Arc, hope to be in the state of grace and pray: "If I am not, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me.". A safe path to kindle that hope are the words I once saw engraved on the wall of an Adoration Chapel: "live with a penitent heart".

May the Lord strengthen you to keep your body under discipline and run as to win the race!

God Bless

[/quote]

God does provide actual graces even to a person in mortal sin; these actual graces move the person towards confession and restoration to sanctifying grace. And he can and does so at the Mass.

Further, while I realize that this is a weekday Mass you're talking about, even for a person in mortal sin, the obligation to go to Mass on Sundays remains. Failure to do this will cause one to incur yet another mortal sin. Just don't receive Communion till after Confession.

Thank you everyone for the Replies. I did go to mass and did not receive communion when it came time to recieve i just stayed kneeling in my pew and made Spiritual Communion... I also have to say I am very Thankful to the lord because I had work today and was scheduled for 2.75 hours which isn't much and ended up getting to work almost 5.5 hours which was a real blessing.
Thanks for the Help. I will be at confession tomorrow God Willing.
God Bless

Just a tad of information that you may consider: Ask your confessor if indeed you are in the state of mortal sin. There are factors that contribute to the mitigation of sin that may pertain to your individual circumstance. It is wise that you refrained from Holy Communion this time but your confessor may advise you differently if you should fall into the same sin in the future. Again, to be sure, I am not undermining the teachings on mortal sin but I am saying that you should discuss this with your priest for your individual counsel. God bless............ teachccd :)

I am. Gay and Catholic; in a relationship for 27 years; I haven't missed Mass in three years. I don't receive Communion because I believe in the true presence. I make frequent holy hours but know that my relationship is deemed sinful in Holy Mother Church. I would never compound my sinfulness but taking Communion but feel so dreadful when I miss that moment of Transubstancion in the Mass.

God Bless

[/quote]

Yes! It isn't the healthy who need a doctor!

Hi Joboia,

The Lord is tugging at you heart strings, because He loves you SO much and wants you to know and experience the FULLNESS of life He has in store for all of us, when we live true to His decrees and His word!

In my opinion, the fact that you’ve been in a gay relationship for 27 years, and am now attending Mass weekly faithfully for 3 years, and still being aware of the fact of committing a serious sin and not becoming numb to it after all this time - is a true grace from God, I think. Perhaps your mother (wherever she may be), or a family member, or a friend, prays very faithfully for you.

Know that you are in my prayers - and I encourage you to pray pray pray, draw closer to Jesus, and let Him transform you. As a friend said to me once, “You don’t have to change to love Jesus. Loving Jesus will change you.” Trust the Lord, even though it seems counter-intuitive, trust that, that not doing something that feels so good and natural to you IS God’s will as per what our Holy Mother Church teaches… I encourage you to Trust that God IS true to His promises. Even though it doesn’t make sense, trust that living a chaste life in union with Christ, will lead to greater joy, happiness, fulfillment.

This network is a great resource - check it out:
couragerc.net/

I found this blog very inspiring too:
mattfradd.com/2012/06/14/catholic-gay-and-feeling-fine/

God bless.

If you are in a state of mortal sin, you can ask the priest to hear a confession before Mass. Why delay returning to God's grace if you have an opportunity for it?

I go to Mass every day, and I don't ever go up to receive communion because I'm not Catholic yet. I stay in my seat and make an act of spiritual communion, using the beautiful prayer of St Alphonsus Liguori. (I went up for a blessing on Pentecost Sunday because I felt moved to do so, but that's the first time I've stood up and will be the last until I receive Confirmation.)

I've never had any strange looks, and so far as I'm aware nobody has ever batted an eyelid. There are always several people there who don't go up - I sometimes think I'm the only one who looks out for these things!

I've never been to Confession, but I'd never in a million years dream of asking the person in front of me what sins they were confessing today. I don't see it should be any different if I did happen to notice someone wasn't going up for communion - it's nobody's business but theirs and God's.

If anyone was silently judging you for not going up, especially at that time when they're either just about to receive or have just received, then I'd be fairly confident any problem does not lie with you.

My opinion is that is a good witness to attend Mass and not go receive communion if you're not properly disposed to do so. I think there are a lot of people who don't know, or don't think about the fact that there are requirements to receiving the Eucharist beyond being Catholic.

And for what it's worth, yes, there will be people who judge you (which is totally wrong) but there will also be others who assume that you're not Catholic and will think it's awesome that you're there. My experience.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.