Attending Mass in Foreign Countries

Hi All -

My family and I are traveling to France and Barcelona. We will be attending mass in these countries, as we have been able to get mass intentions for the soul of my father at the masses we are attending! My question is whether anyone knows how to get a mass guide that will provide the spanish/english and french/english translation, so we can follow along at mass?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

We have English & Spanish bilingual seasonal Missals at my parish. There is also a Mass in French, but I do not know if they have them (doubt it for it is a very small group). We actually discard them at the end of the “season”. However, I do not know if you would like to carry one of those with you!? Weight adds up.

How about asking your Pastor? Also, look at the website of the church you will attend. It may also have something there that could help you. Do those churches hold pilgrimages? Lastly, relax. The gestures a Priest makes during Mass are the same in English, Spanish, and French! If you know a little bit of the language and you “relax”, you will be able to “understand” it better.

Been there done that…in several countries…I don’t use a missal at home, but follow the English version as the host nation mass is celebrated in a language I am not familiar with…fortunately the order of the mass is consistent around the globe.

The USCCB (usccb.org) has the daily Mass readings posted. Just go to their site, click on Bible and you will find them. Perhaps printing them in advance would help you.

I have a book called The Ordinary of the Mass in 8 Languages, published by The Liturgical Press. It has the Ordinary in Latin, French, Portuguese, English, Italian, Spanish, German and Polish, side by side on every page. This was published in 1992, so it does not have the current translation of the Roman Missal in English. There is a more recent version called The Order of the Mass in Nine Languages which does have the current English translation, but the Spanish was apparently changed from Castilian (European) to Mexican and I don’t know what the differences are between the two. The other languages are Latin, Brazilian Portuguese, Vietnamese, Italian, Polish, Tagalog and French.

Won’t help with the readings, but if you must have them in the local language you can get those online.

French: Association Épiscopale Liturgique pour les pays Francophones (AELF; Episcopal Liturgical Association for Francophone Countries)

[LIST=1]
*]On the home page, click on the tab “Autre Date.” This should pop up a calendar of the current month. The month names in French are pretty intuitive, but I can help if needed (I speak French).
*]On the calendar, navigate to the date in question and click on it. This should bring up snippets of the relevant Mass readings. Click on any snippet to access the full text for all.
[/LIST]

Spanish: Archidiocésis de Madrid (Archdiocese of Madrid)

[LIST=1]
*]On the home page, hover the cursor over the tab “Oración y Liturgia.” This should activate a dropdown menu.
*]Hover over “Lecturas de Misa.” This should bring up an option for “Buscador de lecturas;” click on that.
*]Click in the entry field under the title “Introduzca primero la fecha y luego presione buscar” or click on the calendar icon to the left of the entry field to bring up a calendar of the current month.
*]Navigate to the appropriate date then click on it. Again, the month names are pretty intuitive, but I can help if needed (The Husband speaks Spanish).
*]Click on the “buscar” button. This should bring up the full text of the relevant Mass readings.
[/LIST]

Then all you need is your own English-language missal, a copy of *Magnificat *in English or printouts of the readings shown on the USCCB site and you’re all set.

I am assuming the Mass in Barcelona will be in Spanish and not in Catalán… :hmmm:

Anyway, hope this helps.

You wont need any translation. The mass will be exactly what you are used to just in a different language. Other than the readings you will know what they are saying. I walked into a Mass in Munich Germany and was amazed that I not only knew what was being said I was able to make the responses at the right time in English. I’m sure it sounded funny to the people around me though. Get a missal ap for your smart phone and follow it for the readings.

I respond quietly in the Latin. I’m sure if I were loud, it would probably offend a few.

I used to travel extensively for work. One week in Seoul, the next in Sao Paulo type of thing.

One thing that I would do was to sent an email to the local diocese and find out where and when a Mass in Latin would be offered.

In that way, I could pray with my fellow Catholics, all of us in the same language :thumbsup:

Being one of the last people to not have a fancy phone still, I don’t mean to assume you have one, but…

‘I’m sure there is an app for that’

I went to mass in Tokyo on Palm Sunday once, that was neat.

For the main parts of the Mass, I find these little bilingual guides very useful:

angilella.it/missa/

Or you can just join in with the responses in quiet English or Latin, since the Mass is the same.

You are not the only one who does not have one! :smiley: I am free just like you are! :thumbsup:

I believe that many of the good Catholic apps, like Laudate, are available in other languages. I wouldn’t be too concerned though. Although the TLM left me way confused, if it’s the same structure, only the words will be different, and you will still know what’s going on.

Enjoy!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.