Attending non-Catholic Church

Sorry. Sounded judgmental, to me.

Yes, words themselves only convey about 10% of the communications. I’m oversensitive to some posts where many on CAF enjoy provision of condemnation and not education.

My appologies.:blush:

And, Peter, I should have noted your advice was sound, as well.

No worries mate, and I apologise for my antagonistic response.

If you can’t receive Communion, then make a spiritual Communion. Pray to Jesus, tell him you wish to be blessed with the benefits of grace that come from Communion, that you long to be able to receive, and that you would like him to clear up whatever’s wrong.

The other good thing about this practice is that you can make a spiritual Communion any time you feel the need. :slight_smile:

Re: any Communion

We worship Truth Himself, and we wish to have Communion with Truth Himself. So it’s not much good trying to worship Truth in a way that hides the full truth about Communion from your Protestant friends.

They don’t sin doing that, because they don’t know any better than a partial truth. But you do know better, because Truth told you so. Don’t turn your back on His teaching, or that of His Bride.

Maureen

Where I grew up, the Catholic Churches were awesome. In the city I live now, I have visited every church in the diocese, and I continue to attend weekly to get the sacraments and fulfill my obligation. However, the priests are not good speakers, the sermons are not relevant, the people are not engaged, or very holy, and my children (and myself and DH) are bored out of our minds!

The local baptist church is awesome! We treat it like a weekly spiritual retreat. They have tons of inspiring praise and worship music. The pastor is relevant, and provocative, and my DH and I find ourselves discussing scripture, and what is true Christian living after every service. The kids love to go, they learn the scripture, sing songs, and are surrounded by strong Christians.

I wish the Catholic Church in my area would get its act together, but until then, I have an obligation to my kids (and myself) to “Seek Him”, so we attend both services every week. We do not receive any sacraments at the Baptist Church, and are very honest that we are Catholic and plan to stay that way. It works for us.

Instead of waiting for someone else to “get their act together” why not become the kind of leader you are looking for in your Catholic parish, instead of taking the risk of learning false teachings in a Protestant church?

I am sure that if it’s as boring as you say (although “boring” is a relative term - there are many exciting things that I find boring, just because I am not well-educated about them) that lots of people would rally to your cause.

You could use some of the resources from this Catholic Answers web site (click on the links at the top of this page to get to them) and start up a Youth Group, a Bible study, or a Catechism class at your parish, and get the excitement going, without going outside of the teachings of the Catholic Church. :thumbsup:

As president of the Woman’s Guild in my parish for 2 years, I did try. There were 180 ladies in the woman’s guild, about 90 would get together every month for cards or games or chatting, but only 8 would show up for a spiritual retreat. The annual auction fund-raiser was a full house, raising $150,000 in one night, but the church was empty on Good Friday. Its my parish because the Catholic School is good, and I am required to attend the church regularly for my kids to be enrolled.

By the way, the leader of the parish is the pastor, not me. He neither asks for, nor accepts my ideas on what would make his parish “better”. In his opinion, his church is great. The church is packed (b/c of the school), beautiful (b/c of the many successful fund raisers), and has 70+ ministries (everyone needs 25+ service hours per year to keep their kids in the school). As an example, the woman’s “prayer ministry” would get together weekly to burn candles, sip wine, and talk about how prayer and meditation can help you loose weight and keep you sexy for your husband.

Changing the culture of this parish is more than I am capable of doing.

I am not perfect, and need help to be led towards God. The Catholic church in my area is failling me, and the other families. I expressed my concerns in writing to the pastor, copying the bishop, and offering my assistance. My letter was never responded to.

That’s why I also go the Baptist Church.

Did you think of combining fun activities and spiritual activities into one event? (That’s what the Baptists do, isn’t it? That’s how they’re able to get crowds out for things like Bible study - because it’s also a pot-luck dinner and music and games night, at the same time as being a Bible study.)

The annual auction fund-raiser was a full house, raising $150,000 in one night, but the church was empty on Good Friday. Its my parish because the Catholic School is good, and I am required to attend the church regularly for my kids to be enrolled.

See? Bribery works. :wink:

By the way, the leader of the parish is the pastor, not me. He neither asks for, nor accepts my ideas on what would make his parish “better”. In his opinion, his church is great. The church is packed (b/c of the school), beautiful (b/c of the many successful fund raisers), and has 70+ ministries (everyone needs 25+ service hours per year to keep their kids in the school). As an example, the woman’s “prayer ministry” would get together weekly to burn candles, sip wine, and talk about how prayer and meditation can help you loose weight and keep you sexy for your husband.

And there are no Baptist women (or men) who miss the point of things from time to time? :shrug:

Changing the culture of this parish is more than I am capable of doing.

Actually, I think your parish sounds really nice. :slight_smile:

I am not perfect, and need help to be led towards God.

Nobody is perfect. Everyone is doing the best they can with what they have.

Yes… duh?!?

Yes, a lot of them… and when they do, their pastor sets them straight. He provides a clear, and unambiguous message on how to live a more Christian life.

Really? how sad:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.