Attending Non-Catholic Conferences

Just wanted to solicit some opinions. I’m a fairly new convert to Catholicism (2004) but prior to being received into the Church I was an avid AG church attender. One of the things that I’ve enjoyed is attending conferences. Do you think it’s spiritually dangerous or should I say “wrong” for a Catholic to attend these types of conferences knowing that these believers are not in union with the Church? In RCIA we learn that we are bound by the Sacraments but God isn’t. So that leads me to believe that He definitely uses others in various denominations to encourage, teach, and spiritually strengthen others on their journey with Jesus. They are like watering well 's that God has provided in order to quench our spiritual thirst. My husband thinks that I would be in disobedience to the Church because I’m allowing myself to sit under someone who may not have the same beliefs that the Catholic Church teaches. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

if you are seeking some orthodox Catholic conferences which will give you an experience of worship, bible study and fellowship which equals and exceeds anything you have experienced in AG, check out Franciscan University of Steubenville OH summer conferences. For you, the Charistmatic Conference, Applied biblical studies, and defending the faith will be particularly good. I just posted the link someplace yesterday, let me go look again to be sure.
franciscan.edu/Home2/Content/main.aspx?id=319
you can look at summer adult conferences or summer youth conferences, depending on your age.
why on earth would you want to waste time and money on a conference that is not going to offer you the fullness of truth?

The whole idea behind conferences is to strengthen people in their chosen religion and faith, so for that reason, I would highly recommend that you go to Catholic conferences instead. There are plenty of good Catholic conferences to go to. :slight_smile:

In RCIA we learn that we are bound by the Sacraments but God isn’t. So that leads me to believe that He definitely uses others in various denominations to encourage, teach, and spiritually strengthen others on their journey with Jesus.

Each other, yes.

They are like watering well 's that God has provided in order to quench our spiritual thirst.

You don’t need a watering well; you’re not in the desert any more. You have the outflowing graces of the Sacraments in Confession and Holy Eucharist, daily Rosary and Mass, and many more.

My husband thinks that I would be in disobedience to the Church because I’m allowing myself to sit under someone who may not have the same beliefs that the Catholic Church teaches. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

I agree with your husband - why go to someone who only has part of the truth, when you already have the whole thing?

No, I do not think it is a good idea to go to a non-Catholic conference that will be filled with non-Catholic theology & teaching, and non-Catholic worship.

Why not go to one of the many Catholic conferences instead?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.