Attending Protestant Bible study?

Hi, I am attending a Bible study with my previous (Protestant) church over Zoom. I was wondering if I should keep going, because it is so nice but I have been Catholic for only three days and I am wondering if it will divert my attention, or am I saying the RCC is not sufficient or something?? I still haven’t read the Catechism…
It is Anglican/Episcopal, so not anti-Catholic but still a very different approach I guess. It is a small group of six, sometimes we combine two groups. Also I am currently on the Alpha course at the RCC and in January there will be a Bible study at the same church about salvation history, so it’s more (ostensibly) the extra Christian connection[?] and a sense of obligation to the group leader who invited me at first for which I stay. But I might leave I don’t know :-/

That is an important clarification. I’d say there’s no harm in it, so long as you approach it in the spirit that it’s just one more additional input to help you gain a fuller understanding of the Bible. I would also suggest you make sure that everyone else in the group is fully aware from the outset that you are a Catholic.

1 Like

Can you expand on what you mean by this?

It is not a sin to attend a Protestant Bible study but like you noted a different spirit is present. Better to find a good Catholic one so you don’t get confused. Congratulations on your journey to the Catholic Church!

1 Like

I wouldn’t do it, especially if it I were new to the faith. Too much chance for error to creep in.

1 Like

Explain please is this Bible Study Catholic or not? If not, how can you be attending it “with your Church”? Is your whole “Catholic Church” in a non-Catholic Bible Study?

Setting aside my confusion, I strongly advise against any non-Catholic Bible Study. The differences are significant and once ideas are accepted, it is hard to “unlearn” them. If it is a Zoom meeting, you could find a Zoom Catholic Bible Study anywhere in the U.S. to join, I would think.

2 Likes

Oh sorry I meant my hometown/old Protestant church lol. Also sorry @1ke I meant baptised Catholic

What you might find is that when some find out that you are Catholic, especially a new Catholic, they will try to persuade you to not remain Catholic. I used to be Episcopalian and had to make a clean break from my old parish once I became Catholic. They were some great people too, salt of the earth, but I just couldn’t keep one foot Catholic and one foot in the old.

3 Likes

Oh - thanks - that clarifies it.

It can be hard to find a good Catholic Bible Study, I’m very very sorry to say. Talk with your (Catholic) pastor and let him know you want to find one. He might help you organize one, if there are none in your parish. Some do exist with “workbooks” that could help you or someone lead one with very little experience. That is not the best solution, but It might be better than nothing, until a better choice presents itself.

1 Like

Welcome to the Church!! I’d look to start creating Catholic friends and community to support you. Does your parish have a Bible study? Or maybe a parish near you? You might look into Blessed Is She (online & on Facebook) or start and Endow group (google them! They are a wonderful Catholic study group & if there isn’t one near you, you could become a group facilitator).

1 Like

@verdigriis

I think that if you feel confident, you could add some good insight into Apostolic Scriptural interpretation. If you are looking for some good Catholic Bible studies I suggest the Institute of Catholic Culture. They have over 800 archived videos and webinars on just about every subject under the sun. I’m Orthodox and enjoy listening to Fathers Hezikias and Sebastian. You can also check out their YouTube Channel and watch their Sunday Gospel Reflections (both Byzantine and Roman lectionaries).

If you don’t mind an Orthodox Bible study I would recommend Father Evan Armatas’ podcast, Transforming Our Lives in Christ.

ZP

1 Like

Thank you! I will look into all the resources that have been posted, they look helpful, idk it is hard as I feel amply provided with Catholic studies, and know people in my parish/ ways to get involved. However I don’t want to offend or be isolated from people I’ve known so long but I identify w @MarkRome 's statement too. I probably will have decided in a few days, in the meantime it was helpful to have everyone’s input!

There’s no harm in staying friends with those people from your previous bible group but I wouldn’t continue going to the study group. You will only hinder your progress in Catholism and make it harder to unlearn errors you may have already learnt. They will be small but significant things which you won’t in your newness be able to suss out.
Rather go for a coffee with them but study the Bible with a good Catholic Scripture study group.
Oh yes and welcome to the church. Formed.org has plenty of catholic bible studies if you want to get a head start in lockdown (if you are stuck inside) otherwise see what your parish offers. God bless.

Congratulations on beoming a Catholic. I hope you will be happy in the Church and find it warm, encouraging and welcoming.
I hesitate to answer your queries and I think you have already found your answers.
I would suggest building up fellowship within your new Catholic parish. Keep friendly with your old friends, but develop contacts with your new parish, as you are now a Catholic.
I wish you every success.
God bless.

I also am Catholic attending Anglican/Episcopal Zoom meetings. They take a scholarly approach, placing the Scriptures in their historical and socio-cultural context, and welcome me to chime in with a Catholic perspective. I find that it enriches my faith rather than detract from it. That said, I’ve been Catholic for nearly 20 years and am much better catechized than when I started. The greatest difference between the two churches is the approach to dogma, which seasoned Catholics may find too laissez-faire in Anglo/Episcopal churches.

I would stick it out, but make it a commitment to learn the Catholic faith while you’re at it. Around Lent, your parish may offer the option of small faith communities, by which parishioners break up into smaller groups to discuss the faith and Scriptures. My own parish offers adult ed classes, even over Zoom, and online videos by Fr. Mike Schmidt and Bishop Robert Barron are also a great resource!

2 Likes

If you are going to start it with Protestants (and you should not), you need to read the encyclicals on Sacred Scripture and how we can read and study it by St. Pope Leo XIII, Pope Benedict XV, and St. Pope Pius XII. Such as Providentissimus Deus, and Divino Afflante Spiritu.

We have rules for what we can accept and cannot accept, and those documents sort of lay it out.

If this is the Jeff Cavins’ study, you will love it.

I would recommend the catholic formed dot org. ( it’s free now)and the teaching of dr. Timothy Gray on the book of Mark. It is a 15 sessions . that is the best I have ever seen.

It will open your understanding of the gospel and why the deciples didn’t understand the teaching of Jesus. Have eyes and cant see and ears and cant hear

1 Like

If you are concerned about it, maybe you should find a Catholic Bible Study instead. As an ex-Protestant, I have found that there is usually an anti-Catholic thread running through many Protestant Bible Studies.

If you do a Bible study class on Zoom does you’re video have to be turned on. Can I be a black box with lots of questions?

I also love Ft. Mike Schmidt’s videos very informative, as well as funny (sometimes :wink:)

Before the Corvid-19 shut them down I went both to a Catholic Bible study class and a Lutheran Bible Study class… both were very informative and they loved my questions… and trust me I asked A LOT.

The Catholic class taught me a lot about the history in the Bible, the Lutheran class taught me on understanding specific scriptures.

None of the people in the church tried to shove down my throat what was wrong with the other church. Those who knew I was Catholic asked me about Catholic teaching without judgment… and no one said, well you go to a Lutheran church, that’s why you don’t understand.

The discussion were very good and never made me feel as I was doing something wrong, or stupid. I was blessed with polite, caring and understanding teachers and fellow students.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.