Attending protestant service instead of mass

Help me convince my mother and brother that this is not okay. Their main objection is that the mass obligation doesn’t matter because it’s “man-made.”

A Protestant service may be nice but is in no way comparable to the Mass because the Protestant service does not have the Real Presence. We attend Mass because Christ commanded “Do this in memory of Me.”

How old are you? Are you old enough to get yourself to Mass? Are they protestant?

Can’t you just tell them that you have to fulfill your Sunday Obligation? If they are protestant, they may not fully understand. If they are Catholic remind them that they are bound by church teaching, no matter if they like it or not.

The issue isn’t me being unable to attend, it’s them not having an adequate knowledge of why we are obligated to attend. They are Catholics but they don’t understand why the church teaches that they are obligated to attend a Catholic church and not a protestant church on Sunday.

So they get up on Sundays to go to church, but they don’t get up on Sundays to go to Mass, yet they are Catholic? Like, have they “converted” to a protestant denomination or do they consider themselves Catholic? I’m just really confused why they are fine with going to a church service on Sundays just not Mass.

catholiceducation.org/en/marriage-and-family/parenting/8-reasons-to-go-to-mass.html

Here are some good reasons and they are laid out quite clearly. :hug1:

Sorry I should have been more clear. My mother wants to skip mass and go to our extended family’s protestant church this Sunday because we’re visiting them this weekend. I’m trying to help her understand why she can’t do that.

Also thanks for the link Kendra. It’s definitely helpful.

Cardinal Arinze, former Prefect for the Congregation of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.

youtube.com/watch?v=-4qyL4pR0Rk

For what it’s worth, on the way back to Catholicism, I did go to a Protestant Church for some time. I was always wondering about the basis of their belief and in most cases it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that they think the Church can get in the way of. They also hold of course that there is no need to go through Mary. I also learned plenty about the Bible that I was unaware from 12 years of Catholic school.
Though I never witnessed any miracles or anything of that nature, there were a couple times when things happened for the good that must have had a non-rational source. Some historical figures like John Wesley must have been very developed spiritual people, the same for JS Bach, the composer.
That said, I am very impressed with a human need for reordering. When the actual ritual of the Catholic Church was rejected, new orders sprung up almost right away. Orthodoxy of the Word replaced Church rules, to the extent that the Bible is taken more literally among Protestants. This may have to do with the timing of the Reformation when printing allowed for Bibles to be in the hands of common folk, rather than be interpreted by scholars.

Is it possible for your family to attend both during your Sunday visit to your extended family? This would perhaps alleviate your concerns? Simply attending a Protestant service isn’t inherently sinful so long as you also attend Mass. It could become a great opportunity to witness the Catholic faith!

Praying for a proper resolution for you and your family.

Peace in Christ

Well I’m amazed here. How is it that your family is so poorly catechized and you are properly catechized? I mean this certainly isn’t the norm and you should be commended for recognizing this aspect of your faith! What did you do different? or how were you taught differently?

:thumbsup:

Short and sweet. I love this Cardinal.

This is a false understanding of the Mass.

Yes–some of the form and order of the Mass is a human development.
However, the basic structure, and the meaning is not “man-made”–it comes directly from the Last Supper, when Jesus did what we continue to do, and told us to “Do this in memory of me.” (CCC 1322-1419, especially the following)

1329 [The Mass is called] The Lord’s Supper, because of its connection with the supper which the Lord took with his disciples on the eve of his Passion and because it anticipates the wedding feast of the Lamb in the heavenly Jerusalem. . . .

1330 [The Mass is called] The memorial of the Lord’s Passion and Resurrection.

The Holy Sacrifice, because it makes present the one sacrifice of Christ the Savior and includes the Church’s offering. The terms holy sacrifice of the Mass, “sacrifice of praise,” spiritual sacrifice, pure and holy sacrifice are also used, since it completes and surpasses all the sacrifices of the Old Covenant. . . .

1333 At the heart of the Eucharistic celebration are the bread and wine that, by the words of Christ and the invocation of the Holy Spirit, become Christ’s Body and Blood. Faithful to the Lord’s command the Church continues to do, in his memory and until his glorious return, what he did on the eve of his Passion: “He took bread. . . .” “He took the cup filled with wine. . . .”

1337 The Lord, having loved those who were his own, loved them to the end. Knowing that the hour had come to leave this world and return to the Father, in the course of a meal he washed their feet and gave them the commandment of love. In order to leave them a pledge of this love, in order never to depart from his own and to make them sharers in his Passover, he instituted the Eucharist as the memorial of his death and Resurrection, and commanded his apostles to celebrate it until his return; “thereby he constituted them priests of the New Testament.” [emphasis added]

1341 The command of Jesus to repeat his actions and words “until he comes” does not only ask us to remember Jesus and what he did. It is directed at the liturgical celebration, by the apostles and their successors, of the memorial of Christ, of his life, of his death, of his Resurrection, and of his intercession in the presence of the Father.

1356 If from the beginning Christians have celebrated the Eucharist and in a form whose substance has not changed despite the great diversity of times and liturgies, it is because we know ourselves to be bound by the command the Lord gave on the eve of his Passion: “Do this in remembrance of me.”

1357 We carry out this command of the Lord by celebrating the memorial of his sacrifice. In so doing, we offer to the Father what he has himself given us: the gifts of his creation, bread and wine which, by the power of the Holy Spirit and by the words of Christ, have become the body and blood of Christ. Christ is thus really and mysteriously made present.

I could go on–but the intent is clear: the Mass is a Sacrament, and as such a gift to the Church from the hand of Jesus himself. It is not a “man-made” ritual.

You can go to both, but not instead of. Mass comes first. After Mass, it is acceptable to attend services with our non-Catholic brothers and sisters.

Yep. Love Cardinal Arinze, he cracks me up. He has a great sense of humor.:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.