Attending RCIA while in college at a different church?

So I am going off to college in Septemeber and I really want to start RCIA and so I can finally recieve all the sacrements and fully participate in the mass :extrahappy: There is a good chance that I will have to go to university in a different city that is far away from the church that I attend at home :crying: Can I do RCiA at one church and then return to another church for the summer? So basically spend 8 months at one church and then 4 at the other? Not just that but usually easter is near the end of the school year which is April and I could end up going back home by then :eek: Awwwww I really don't want to have to wait until I am out of university to start. Is there any way around this? I have no family in the city that I am staying at so I can't spend the summer there and I can't just not go home for the summer because my family would be quite annoyed with that. Some help would be very nice :D

Simply talk to the pastor at both parishes.

My guess is that it would be easier to do RCIA in the city you are attending school. However, we are the wrong people to ask. You should call the parish and find out about their program.

Alright will do :D

Does the college you're attending have a Catholic Campus Ministry or Newman Center? If so, they will be prepared for someone who is there during the school year and away during the summer. It will be a great experience!

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:316365"]
Simply talk to the pastor at both parishes.

[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:5, topic:316365"]
Does the college you're attending have a Catholic Campus Ministry or Newman Center? If so, they will be prepared for someone who is there during the school year and away during the summer. It will be a great experience!

[/quote]

Yes there is a Newman Center at one church then a Campus ministry at another but I am not sure about the third one

I know many students did their RCIA while they were in university and joined the church. Generally speaking most officially join the church at Easter Vigil and it is important to ask yourself do you want your family present when you join the church? Depending how far school is from home, this may or may not be possible. Sometimes it might be possible to do RCIA in one church and join at another. Often RCIA is a bonding experience where one learns and grows together as a group. I think your best bet is to ask both pastors and see what's possible. You can also decide to join the church at another time other than Easter Vigil. It's not common but it's great when your family isn't Catholic because they can come for a 1 hour mass instead of 3 hour one.

I hope this helps,

SG

As others said, talk to the priests, but I thought that I'd just mention that this situation seems pretty normal. The campus parishes both where I did my undergrad and where I am now have both RCIA programs and Confirmation classes for those who are already Catholics with the understanding that the students may be gone over the summer and such.

So yeah, talk to the priests, but it shouldn't really be a problem. (And if it turns out that it is, they'll know how to fix it.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.