Attending Vigil Mass and skipping Sunday Mass

I know the Saturday Vigil Mass fulfills the Sunday Mass obligation. My question is can I intentionally skip Sunday Mass because I went to the Vigil Mass the night before? I am always free on Sundays and make time for Sunday Mass but I want to know if I can skip it and go to the Vigil Mass instead?

[quote="ProdigalSon1211, post:1, topic:330323"]
I know the Saturday Vigil Mass fulfills the Sunday Mass obligation. My question is can I intentionally skip Sunday Mass because I went to the Vigil Mass the night before? I am always free on Sundays and make time for Sunday Mass but I want to know if I can skip it and go to the Vigil Mass instead?

[/quote]

The Sunday Vigil is Sunday Mass. There is no obligation to attend two Sunday Masses, so yes you can intentionally skip Mass on Sunday because you have already attended Sunday Mass at the Vigil and met the obligation of the Sunday.:D

[quote="Lapey, post:2, topic:330323"]
The Sunday Vigil is Sunday Mass. There is no obligation to attend two Sunday Masses, so yes you can intentionally skip Mass on Sunday because you have already attended Sunday Mass at the Vigil and met the obligation of the Sunday.:D

[/quote]

ProdigalSon is correct. The Saturday Vigil (Evening) Mass is the Sunday Mass. This reaches back to our Jewish roots in which the Jewish Sabbath, which is Saturday, begins on Friday evening.

If one cannot, through no fault of their own, attend Sunday Mass, then they should attend the Vigil Mass. However, I believe one should not become accustomed to the Vigil Mass instead of the Sunday Mass. Itentionally skipping Mass on Sunday can lead one to lose sight of the intended holiness of Sunday.

[quote="Romano63, post:3, topic:330323"]
ProdigalSon is correct. The Saturday Vigil (Evening) Mass is the Sunday Mass. This reaches back to our Jewish roots in which the Jewish Sabbath, which is Saturday, begins on Friday evening.

If one cannot, through no fault of their own, attend Sunday Mass, then they should attend the Vigil Mass. However, I believe one should not become accustomed to the Vigil Mass instead of the Sunday Mass. Itentionally skipping Mass on Sunday can lead one to lose sight of the intended holiness of Sunday.

[/quote]

While I can appreciate the point you are trying to make here, some who are overly scrupulous might take this to mean that it attendance on Saturday night is only a backup plan, and somehow less effective, so they really should only attend on Sunday. Just want to be clear that this is your opinion and not the actual "rule". (unless of course you have some document somewhere to back it up in which case I stand corrected)

[/quote]

I commend you for being honest that is your personal opinion, and not church teaching.

I know many individuals who attend the Saturday vigil Mass who have never loss sight of the holiness of the day of Sunday, and an equal number of individuals who look at attending Mass on the actual Sunday as just one more thing on the check off to do list. Going to one Mass over another does not change what is in one's heart.

Fifty years ago I had a nun who told her class that if our parents went to the early Mass on Sun day rather than the later Mass on Sunday morning were "better" Catholics because they were more dedicated to their faith.

I had hoped we had moved beyond such thinking, but ....

You are not “skipping Mass” by attending Saturday Vigil Mass. But if this is a problem for you, then go on Sunday! You don’t have to go more than once - so if you’d rather go on Sunday, then go on Sunday. Do you suffer from scruples?

[/quote]

I just want to point out that this is fine as a personal opinion, but the Church makes no such pronouncements that would limit the faithful's use of the Vigil Mass to fulfill the Sunday obligation.

Of course, all the other parts about keeping the Lord's Day holy apply to Sunday regardless of whether one attends the Vigil or attends on Sunday.

A lot of the confusion over this point exists because when permission for Masses to be celebrated later in the day (i.e., past 12 noon) in 1953, afternoon and evening Masses were originally intended for those who could not attend morning Mass, including shiftworkers, etc. When the anticipated Sunday Mass model was started around 1970, no such provision was made; it simply seemed for everyone.

Yes, I have OCD/scrupulosity.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:6, topic:330323"]
You are not "skipping Mass" by attending Saturday Vigil Mass. But if this is a problem for you, then go on Sunday! You don't have to go more than once - so if you'd rather go on Sunday, then go on Sunday. Do you suffer from scruples?

[/quote]

However, I believe one should not become accustomed to the Vigil Mass instead of the Sunday Mass. Itentionally skipping Mass on Sunday can lead one to lose sight of the intended holiness of Sunday.

[/quote]

As others have stated, this is your opinion only and if it works for you fine but do not put this on any one else. There is absolutly nothing wrong with making your Sunday obligation at the Sunday Vigil on Saturday evening every weekend. To say otherwise is contrary to church teaching on meeting Sunday obligations.

[quote="ProdigalSon1211, post:9, topic:330323"]
Yes, I have OCD/scrupulosity.

[/quote]

OK, I thought it might come from scruples. You can ask the priest in confession if you want confirmation, or if you have a spiritual director, this would be another issue to bring up with him. Remember, the Saturday Vigil Mass IS the Sunday Mass, but if you wish to go on Sunday, you are free to do so. One is not holier or better than the other. You are not sinning if you like the Vigil Mass better than the Sunday Mass. It's up to you (I know that's probably the hardest thing for you to hear).

Then it should be noted that the typical parish seldom celebrates a true Vigil Mass.

An anticipated Mass on a Saturday evening is a Sunday Mass, not really an honest to goodness Vigil Mass. Perhaps that will make it easier for you to accept the idea of meeting your obligation to attend a Mass on Saturday evening.

I know the Saturday Vigil Mass fulfills the Sunday Mass obligation.

[/quote]

Just a quick point: The Saturday Mass is the anticipated Sunday Mass. It is not a Vigil Mass. Feast Days have vigil masses, which have their own readings.

My question is can I intentionally skip Sunday Mass because I went to the Vigil Mass the night before?

[/quote]

You are not skipping Sunday Mass. You already attended Sunday Mass.

I am always free on Sundays and make time for Sunday Mass but I want to know if I can skip it and go to the Vigil Mass instead?

[/quote]

One needs no specific reason to fulfill one's obligation on Saturday rather than Sunday.

Sorry for the muddled terminology, it's always been called the Vigil Mass around here, but I will remember the term "anticipated Mass" now! Thanks CAF!

That is not correct. Canon law does does have this condition.

Can. 1248 §1 The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a Catholic Rite either on a Holyday itself or on the evening of the previous day.

Here is a good answer by Fr. Z regarding this question:

wdtprs.com/blog/2011/06/quaeritur-is-it-sinful-to-go-to-saturday-evening-mass-if-you-can-go-on-sunday/

It is not sinful to attend Saturday evening Mass, the vigil of a Sunday. The Church permits Masses “of precept”, which fulfill your obligation, on Saturday evening. You are free to go. It is not a sin to go to Mass.

That said, let us not forget that Sunday is really the Lord’s Day.

While the liturgical day can be reckoned to begin on Saturday evening, and while the Church permits Masses of precept on Saturdays, I think a lot of people make use of Saturday Masses because they don’t want to have to go to church on Sunday, thus leaving Sunday open for entirely worldly pursuits.

The character of Sunday as “the Lord’s Day” should be fostered at all times. I think that the Saturday evening Masses can at times erode this important dimension of Sunday.

Thank you Larsont7 for this post from Fr. Z. He says essentially what I said earlier in the thread, though much more eloquently. And of course I understand this is Fr. Z’s opinion. To those of you who were disproportionately agitated with my post, the words: “I believe” meant it was my opinion. I did not say, “the Church teaches that …”

Peace,
Romano63

[/quote]

[quote="Romano63, post:17, topic:330323"]
Thank you Larsont7 for this post from Fr. Z. He says essentially what I said earlier in the thread, though much more eloquently. And of course I understand this is Fr. Z's opinion. To those of you who were disproportionately agitated with my post, the words: "I believe" meant it was my opinion. I did not say, "the Church teaches that ..."

Peace,
Romano63

[/quote]

The "I believe" came after. You indicated that Saturday evening Mass is only there "If one cannot attend Sunday Mass." There is no such stipulation. One can attend Saturday evening Mass regardless of their ability to attend Sunday Mass.

The second paragraph, in its entirety, is simply your opinion.

[quote="Romano63, post:17, topic:330323"]
Thank you Larsont7 for this post from Fr. Z. He says essentially what I said earlier in the thread, though much more eloquently. And of course I understand this is Fr. Z's opinion. To those of you who were disproportionately agitated with my post, the words: "I believe" meant it was my opinion. I did not say, "the Church teaches that ..."

Peace,
Romano63

[/quote]

There's no shame in admitting that Fr. Z is more eloquent. ;)

I think Fr. Z states it well. With the amount of people on this forum who suffer from scrupulosity, I try to be sensitive to the way things are articulated. I could just see someone reading that post and then thinking they are in mortal sin because they've been going to the Vigil Mass. I wouldn't want that. But I do understand what you're getting at.

That said, let us not forget that Sunday is really the Lord’s Day.

While the liturgical day can be reckoned to begin on Saturday evening, and while the Church permits Masses of precept on Saturdays, I think a lot of people make use of Saturday Masses because they don’t want to have to go to church on Sunday, thus leaving Sunday open for entirely worldly pursuits.

I like this. I see a lot of people that excusively attend Saturday Mass because they like it better, the people and the feel of it. Others may like music better on one Mass or another, though with us it is always mixed up anyway.

I think going to Saturday night Mass to stay up all night partying would not really be in keeping with the proper understanding of Sunday. However, I like the idea of family time on Sunday, meshing the domestic Church with the Catholic Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.