Attention all Bible Scholars, can anyone explain John 19:26?

**Attention all Bible Scholars, can anyone explain John 19:26? **
**Is this a “Catholic” verse?; Or “Protestant” verse? **

26 When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. (John (RSV) 19)

Im not a bible scholar. But I would like to ask you something. Do you think Mary is your mother, at least spiritually?

Yes, of course I do, I am a Roman Catholic. I love Mary, the Mother of God and my Mother too.:thumbsup:

Hello Jimmy,
This passage has to be interpreted at various levels, beginning with the most top level/surface level/contextual setting.
At this level Jesus entrusts His mother to a male who will look after her. In those days there were no social service so a widowed woman on her own would have found it very difficult, so Jesus loving His mother entrusts her into the car of another “son” This also is a clear indicator (contra to protestant thought) that Jesus had other brothers and sisters, because if this were so she would have automatically gone and lived with her eldest son or daughter. So this clear tells us that the “brothers” of the Lord were indeed near kinsman (cousins?) but not blood brothers.
At another level Jesus address His mother not as “Mother” but as “woman” thus taking the reader to the Genesis story in the first 3 chapters where we are introduced to the “woman” By doing this Jesus is aluding to Mary and the New Hewah (new Eve) the New Woman of the New creations in Jesus Christ.
John stands there as our kinsman, So Jesus “gave” John to Mary, as He gives each and every one of us who love him, the gift of sharing His beautiful mother, just as John was priviledged to have her as his mother so we are also given the same gift.
Scripture should always be read at many levels from the very shallow “shallow enough for a baby to wade in” to the very depths of its meaning "deep enough for an elephant to swim in"
Jimmy I hope this has helped you in some way.
God Bless
Grace Angel.

Catholic tradition says that John and the Virgin Mary moved to Ephesus, where both eventually died.

When John was old he trained Polycarp, later Bishop of Smyrna. This was important because Polycarp was able to carry John’s message to another age.

St.Polycarp
catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=99

St, Polycarp
newadvent.org/cathen/12219b.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.