Attention all Catholics, Thomas was an Apostle too!

**I posted this thread because somethings that happened to me on other threads. I know post can some John 20:24-29 Thomas doubted what the Apostles had to say about Jesus was raised from the dead. Jesus did not treat Thomas as a tax collector, he didn’t call him a liar, and so on and so forth. Jesus showed Thomas his wounds. Not every one on here is here to attack the Catholic Church. I think that gets forgotten at times, in the heat of post, some innocent people get caught in the cross fire for just questioning things because of doubt. I am a doubting Thomas, because God has not touched me the way he has toutched you, and your faith in the Catholic Church. I have questions and things I do not understand or have not revieled to me yet. This does not mean I’m attacking the Church. Just try to remember their are others like me on these threads when you post, we are doubting Thomas’. Every one has doubts about something.I wish those doubts could be handled with LOVE like Jesus did. This is not true for all Catholics, just a few that get to set in there ways. Please, can we love one another?:cool:
Commints welcome
Peace be with you

I,m a little confussed (par for Me) what is your question doubting Thomas was a apostle and I do not think you are attacking the Church so may be you can help me to understand your question,PEACE PS I just read your question again,if Cathloic on this froum are insulting you just turn them in to Cathloic answer and they will get taken care of I my self was put off for two weeks for telling some one to get back on they meds.ALL denominations have good and bad and some time the internet makes some look bad and they are not trying to be so ask all your question and injoy.

My point is Thomas had doubts with what he was being told by the other Apostles. Some threads come off being real strong. It is not we don’t waint to believe certain claims, example:RCC is the first Church, the Only Church, and the Only one to have the full Truth. For peole like me that are not were you are these claims are like the Apostles told Thomas, but he had doubts? Jesus did not treat him like a tax collector he treated him with love by showing his wounds.I have read alot of threads saying if your not Catholic and have doubts you should be treated as a tax collector. My question is did Jesus treat Thomas like a tax collector or did he show love and gentileness? 2) Is it true you catch more flies with honey than you do viniger?:shrug:

Okay I see what you are saying and NO Jesus did not treat NO one as a tax collector, some people here Cathloic and none cathloic post things in a rush and may be it just does not sound right.,most ask the same old questions Mary,the Pope the Eucharist,calling priests father. and some will not believe any thing a Cathloic tells them( I have a daughter like that) If I say Cathloics are Christian she will say I do not think so,a Cathloic can give you what they believe and they will say its out of context… This is still one of the best forums for answer====May God bless You and have a great day. PS I do not have the time to check must pick kids up from school so if the spelling is bad and the grammar is bad I,m sorry.

I have no problem with people who have legitimate questions.
I have no problem with people who have doubts about the Church.

I get fed up with people who come here solely to attack and belittle under the guise of “seeking the truth”.

I’m sure it is hard to be in RCC these days with the alot of the world lacking love, but we get caught in the cross fire that have doubts and questions. Example of this is RCC being the ONLY,One ,Holy,Catholic,Apostolic Church. What about Byzintines and Orthodox, they have good claims too.My doubt isn’t with RCC having good history, my doubt is RCC is the ONLYChurch. God has not revealed that to me. Yet the can be interpreted as ant-RCC. Do you see were some of us are coming from?:wink:

[INDENT]

Thomas doubted what the Apostles had to say about Jesus was raised from the dead. Jesus did not treat Thomas as a tax collector, he didn’t call him a liar, and so on and so forth. Jesus showed Thomas his wounds. Not every one on here is here to attack the Catholic Church. I think that gets forgotten at times, in the heat of post,** some innocent people get caught in the cross fire for just questioning things because of doubt**. I am a doubting Thomas, because God has not touched me the way he has toutched you, and your faith in the Catholic Church

[/INDENT][racing59]…I understand exactly what you are saying. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I am in some ways and some times guilty as charged!..even if I can say…but not in the fullest sense of your complaints…I am still guilty!

Forgive me for any pain I have caused (if not directly to your inquiries about the CC…but surely to someone else). I also express my guilt and sorrow to another person for another reason:…To The Lord in fear of having failed to show you (and others) His love/charity and compassion–his holiness.

Take a look at the following episode between God, Moses & Aaron] and the Israelites from the Book of Numbers–note the specific directions God gives to Moses…note what Moses does (shows anger and disobeys the specifics)…note his sentence–he will not enter the Promised Land…and especially note why the Lord is displeased with Moses and Aaron–they failed to trust the Lord and failed to present the Lord’s holiness to his (not Moses’ but His) people (his holiness manifested in his love, his forgiveness, his goodness, his care, his compassion) for the Israelites.

**Numbers 20: 1-13 (NIV)

** Water From the Rock **

1 In the first month the whole Israelite community arrived at the Desert of Zin, and they stayed at Kadesh. There Miriam died and was buried. 2 Now there was no water for the community, and the people gathered in opposition to Moses and Aaron. 3 They quarreled with Moses and said, "If only we had died when our brothers fell dead before the LORD! 4 Why did you bring the LORD’s community into this desert, that we and our livestock should die here? 5 Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to this terrible place? It has no grain or figs, grapevines or pomegranates. And there is no water to drink!"
6 Moses and Aaron went from the assembly to the entrance to the Tent of Meeting and fell facedown, and the glory of the LORD appeared to them. 7 The LORD said to Moses, 8 "Take the staff, and you and your brother Aaron gather the assembly together. Speak to that rock before their eyes and it will pour out its water. You will bring water out of the rock for the community so they and their livestock can drink."
9 So Moses took the staff from the LORD’s presence, just as he commanded him. 10 He and Aaron gathered the assembly together in front of the rock and Moses said to them, "Listen, you rebels, must we bring you water out of this rock?" 11 Then Moses raised his arm and struck the rock twice with his staff. Water gushed out, and the community and their livestock drank. **
12 But the
LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.” **
13 These were the waters of Meribah, where the Israelites quarreled with the LORD and where he showed himself holy among them.

So, your person hood, your soul, your spiritual journey to God…is in God’s hands…not mine. All that I am called (privileged) to do is follow God the Holy Spirit by being an instrument…a helper…not a hindrance…not a stumbling block.

It is actually a very scary proposition for anyone to treat or speak to someone especially in matters of faith and morals in any uncharitable form/way. I mean…look at all Moses did for the Lord and for the People…yet he “stepped on God’s holy ground” – another’s person hood and soul – and God’s judgment and sentence on Moses and Aaron were swift and severe.

I hope that I have learned this lesson…even when people are uncharitable or duplications in their inquiries. Thanks for your courage to make your comments. Please pray for me.

Pax Christi

Catholics, Eastern and Roman, do not deny that Orthodox are true Churches.

Yes, I do.
Saying what you said and HOW you said it - I would have no problem having a charitable conversation with you.

BUT - too many times, non-Catholics come ojn this board to tell us that we are lost and that we’re doomed to hell if we follow the “lie” that is the Catholic Church.
If somebody comes here with that attituide - I hope you can see why they would be deemed “anti-Catholic”.

As I’ve mentioned in another post to you, thank you for reminding me of “Doubting Thomas.” :slight_smile:

I have to go with what elvisman said. I’m pretty fed up with people bashing the Catholic church. In this forum, the “Non-Catholic Religions” forum, people come on here thinking they can recruit, or “show us the error of our ways.” I think sometimes us Catholics get caught up in that because that is the majority of the posts - or so it seems. I’m still relatively new here.

That being said, I’d like to remind you, as others have done, that “RCC” - the Roman Catholic Church is but one Rite within the Catholic Church as a whole.

Check out this link I found after having done a quick Google search:

ewtn.com/expert/answers/catholic_rites_and_churches.htm

It mentions the various rites within the Catholic church. I think if you were to see some people post on here only refer to the Roman Catholic church, or the Latin rite, they’re saying that out of ignorance. However, I have seen most people on here simply refer to the “Catholic Church” which is all of the different rites listed in that link.

Now, I quickly read that link and saw it was from the EWTN site, so if anyone else has anything to add, please do.

racing59, I think you are on a very special journey. Seriously. I get from you that you are intelligently questioning, rather than what others do: question to try and prove Catholics wrong. Which is the wrong motive. You aren’t doing that, at least, I haven’t seen you.

Please continue to visit the forums. I hope you join RCIA to learn about the Catholic church and how rich and layered it is. And I hope you come to believe it as the Truth. :thumbsup:

Please excuse me for using the wrong analogy. I just thought after reading some of the threads that the Orthodox Church was seprate because of the Chair of Peter. My mistake, I’m bad. I guess a better why to put it is I’m not convinced that Catholic to me is only these three Churches. Israel was once divide into the Northern and Southern tribes, because of disputes. Judah and Levi staid in Jerusalem with the Holy of Holies. The other ten did not follow their practices, yet they were all Israel.Right now were I am at Catholic to me is all inclusive of all Christian faiths. This in no way,shape,or form excludes Roman Catholics.This is were my doubt is in that only a few Churches(I understand they are One) are the only Catholic Church. God has not yet revealed that to me.So with that in mind some of the post come accross very strong. In turn I admit they are those that attack RCC, I am not one of those. My question for thse that get to wrapped up in batteling is do the remember “Thomas”? Do the remember he had doubts too at an Apostolic teaching that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead.
Peace be with you!

I get what you are trying to say. I have a friend who just entered the Catholic Church this past Easter Vigil. When she started asking questions, there was another lady that was on the same email group that was attacking the RCC. She kind of got caught in the cross-fire at first since her way of asking questions tends to be more confrontational. She was genuinely wanting to know the answers, but she questions everything and has to know where everything comes from. Thankfully, we found this out before feelings got TOO hurt. (There were some hurt feelings on both sides until we discovered the differences in approaches.) After that, we were better able to handle her honest questions.

Even as a Catholic, converted in 1995, I sometimes have to shut some people’s posts out of my mind because they do not represent the faith as I wish that they would. It is too in your face instead of lovingly stating the truth. Now granted, with some people that is how it has to be stated, but not with everyone. So, I now just recognize that God made us all differently and what may get through to one person, may turn off another.

No Jesus didn’t treat Thomas as a tax collector, He did criticise him a little for his doubt though - ‘you believe because you have seen Me. More blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed’.

And He didn’t have kind words for the Pharisees who set questions for the purpose of trying to trap Him or trip Him up either - ‘brood of vipers’ ‘hypocrites’ ‘whited sepulchres’ and some more choice words come to mind …

I remember another story in the Bible were people were casting out demons in the name of Jesus. The Apostles were upset by this. Jesus critised the Apostles and said , “Those that are not against us are for us.” I’m not against you and there are many other Christians here that aren’t against you. I just ask that we think about it. Is that asking too much?:shrug:

You thought correctly. But Orthodox are “proper” Churches.

Right now were I am at Catholic to me is all inclusive of all Christian faiths. This in no way,shape,or form excludes Roman Catholics.This is were my doubt is in that only a few Churches(I understand they are One) are the only Catholic Church. God has not yet revealed that to me.So with that in mind some of the post come accross very strong. In turn I admit they are those that attack RCC, I am not one of those. My question for thse that get to wrapped up in batteling is do the remember “Thomas”? Do the remember he had doubts too at an Apostolic teaching that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead.

I like your humility.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.