Attitude toward work

I was just talking to a co-worker & we were agreeing that vacation time is a large factor in what keeps us motivated to go in to work every day.
Is this a bad way to look at things since we are both hard workers, been with the same company for a few years & pretty much enjoy our positions?
I understand that work is important & that we are to offer up our work to God.
But to be honest, if someone offered me a few million dollars, I would have a very hard time staying at this job or any job I’ve had in the past. I would certainly have to find constructive things to do (like volunteer / charity work, & have more time to study apologetics), but would definatly sleep a little later & not worry about punching a timecard.
My dilemma is, should I concern myself with thinking that looking towards vacation every year is not a good motive?

[quote=Fred_Flintstone]I was just talking to a co-worker & we were agreeing that vacation time is a large factor in what keeps us motivated to go in to work every day.
Is this a bad way to look at things since we are both hard workers, been with the same company for a few years & pretty much enjoy our positions?
I understand that work is important & that we are to offer up our work to God.
But to be honest, if someone offered me a few million dollars, I would have a very hard time staying at this job or any job I’ve had in the past. I would certainly have to find constructive things to do (like volunteer / charity work, & have more time to study apologetics), but would definatly sleep a little later & not worry about punching a timecard.
My dilemma is, should I concern myself with thinking that looking towards vacation every year is not a good motive?
[/quote]

I would take this one to prayer; ask your self and imagine how would you think it should be different. Then pray over this and offer it over to the Lord, and see what kind of feedback you get. Perhaps your overly focus on saving yourself up for vacation time is a symptom of something else that God wants to transform/put into order. My :twocents: .

I rarely think about vacation time, as I cannot remember when I last had what would be considered a real vacation.

I have had numerous jobs. At each job I have found much satisfaction. But none compare to what I am doing right now. I am so very greatful for being able to do my job.

I work for the U.S. government in citizenship and immigration and consider myself to be singularly blessed. But my job is only a term, not permanent position so I do not know how long it will last.

But each day I get to interview numerous people on their quest towards U.S. citizenship. I live over two hours from my job site but find that a small price to pay for the good I try to give to each of these souls whom I have the good fortune to meet with each day. On occasion I come upon the not so nice individual but by and large I am blessed to speak with each, to hear their hopes and their American and foreign experiences.

How very important respect for each other and respect for God is among those I interview and is a hopeful sign for our country which is in dire need for respect for God. I speak to so many from different traditions than me but they see the deep respect I witness in my behavior and they often tell me how pleased they are to interview with someone who loves God. They get to experience the First Amendment to our Constitution and its good side.

Many souls offer to pray for me that I may keep doing what I am doing as they come to this interview with sometimes great trepidation but leave having experienced an American who greets
them with a smile. a handshake(when it is appropriate based upon the religious or cultural background of the individual) and a hearty welcome. It is wonderful beyond words. A blessing I do not deserve but am greatful to accept.

Even when I must come to a negative decison I try to be sensitive to the dignity each of us has as a creation of the Almighty and this comes through. It is my hope to minister to the world, one person at a time, as these souls are our ambassadors to the world and will soon be our fellow American Citizens.

May God Bless America, may we be a blessing to each other and to the world. Even in this formercatholic my Catholicism shines.

Who needs a vacation, God has given me one everyday. Each day I experience another part of this world and his creation.

Thank you, God, from the bottom of my heart. Help me to be a blessing to your children I see everyday. Give me the words to speak and the actions to take to futher your plans and to witness to you, to all traditions, with the love of Jesus Christ you son and my Savior.

You might want to take a look at this link concerning the sanctification of work.

Betsy

:hmmm: Well I don’t know about those replies that you got. They seem a bit idyllic to me. I think work is a curse, part of our ejection from the garden of Eden. But I also think that it is where we can forge virtue in adversity. Certainly it’s a trial for me. If I hit the lottery, I’d want to devote myself to activities like you mentioned. I think work and workaholics drive this American culture that almost deifies the working life.

We have an obligation to try our best, but also not to put so much energy into it that it detracts from our charity outside and inside work and our prayer and family life. I find that my work and many others I know (I’m in IT) has a powerful urge to reach out and strangle the other areas of life.

I also think that if I had a windfall and left work, it would require a lot of discipline on my part to stay striving to be God centered. Much as I dislike saying it, adversity brings me toward God. I need to grow to where love alone makes me desire to pray, worship, and do charity.

Good question. Thanx for asking.

Colossians 3:22-25

By the simple fact that you work diligently, you are giving glory to God.

A 'vacation', for me, would be a gift. Right now I work six day weeks and the day off I have I try to give to God and to family and to friends who I can't see during the week because of my hours (12 hour days). Sometimes I struggle with resenting work, other times I love doing what I do.

Offering something up to God is a new concept to me (been away from any church for many years), what does that mean exactly?

I don't know if looking forward to vacation time is sinful... I've never had vacation time to look forward to but I DO look forward to my day off VERY much. By the time Saturday comes I need that day off so bad I'm nearly in tears by the end of my shift... haha. It's pretty pathetic.

Everybody’s vocation (job) is different. But they’re all alike in one respect. It’s something I think of from time to time. Like you, I don’t really get vacations, but I do have most weekends “free” to do family duties.

One day it occurred to me that I am doing people a lot of good. People do not part with money readily. Not at all. If they pay you to do something, that is a significant tribute to you, because they would certainly not pay you to do it if they did not value what you do.

Sometimes it’s hard to know just how one is conferring the benefit. Sometimes it’s obvious. But always, the fact that they pay you is their message to you that you are doing something for them that they value; something they could not do for themselves.

Anyway, that’s how I think of it.

Working is God's will for us. He wants to be everywhere. Our job is to work well and bring love into our work. We don't have to proselytize openly at work. But we can learn to work incredibly well, with a great spirit of service, quietly, patiently, confidently, with great faith that God is with us.

Our job is to sanctify our work. It isn't easy, it takes a lot of effort, but it's the vocation of so many people. Add a supernatural motive to your work and watch the difference it makes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.