Attributes of each Person of the Trinity

Is there a set teaching about the attributes of each Person of the Trinity?

Or, what are the attributes attributed to each person of the trinity?

THANKS!

THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT.

The definitive answer would be to check out the Bible, for what it says about each of the persons of the Trinity.

Scripture is usually analyzed under the topic of theology. The Nicene Creed is a long-standing statement of the beliefs of the Church IN and ABOUT the trinity.

This article may help out - newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm

From my understanding, each Person of the Trinity fully possesses all divine attributes, however expresses them distinctly. In particular, the Son expresses the attributes through eternal generation, and the Holy Spirit expresses the attributes through eternal procession.

Thanks for sharing the enjoyable food for thought!

jochoa:

THANKS!!!

It sounds like you really got to the principle.

Again, THANKS!

Thank you! I really enjoy pondering the Holy Trinity. If you ever have an extra moment to analyze a concept, I would enjoy sharing some personal understandings of expressing attributes through eternal generation and procession for your consideration.

Thanks once again for the fun discussion!

I am all ears!

Just tell how to do it!

THANKS!

Although this explanation does not explain why, here is one way of understanding the distinct expressions:

1. Consider any divine attribute, for this example, let’s consider Love.
  2. The distinct expressions are eternal, eternal generation and eternal procession:
    a. Eternal means always was, always is, and always will be divine. Therefore, the Father always was, always is, and always will be Love.
    b. Eternal generation means although always was, always is, and always will be, is assumed by another to not always be divine for a time. Therefore, the Son is one in being with Father, in that He always was, always is, and always will be Love, but since He is born of the Father, is assumed by another for a time to act outside of Love.
    c. Eternal procession means although always was, always is, and always will be, completely sacrifices always divine, in order to demonstrate the process of becoming always divine others that are not divine. Therefore, the Holy Spirit tangibly shares the process of becoming always divine and experiences the assumption by another of not always being divine for a time.
  3. Therefore, each expression always was, always is, and always will be divine.

Thanks for your time and consideration! I am really enjoying this discussion, and I look forward to more!

That is beautiful.

I had to stop and joyfully contemplate just the first one.

BEAUTIFUL!

I am reading the rest.

THANKS!

I will listen and read!

Thanks!

I will be watching for more ideas!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.