Aug. 15 - Assumption of Mary - "...As their queen, you will lead, govern and defend them..."

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Let us rejoice today in God’s Gift of Mary to us, as Mother and Queen! Let us continue listening to St. Louis de Montfort’s “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”:

1. Just as in natural and bodily generation there is a father and a mother, so in the supernatural and spiritual generation there is a father who is God and a mother who is Mary. All true children of God have God for their father and Mary for their mother; anyone who does not have Mary for his mother, does not have God for his father. This is why the reprobate, such as heretics and schismatics, who hate, despise or ignore the Blessed Virgin, do not have God for their father though they arrogantly claim they have, because they do not have Mary for their mother. Indeed if they had her for their mother they would love and honour her as good and true children naturally love and honour the mother who gave them life.

An infallible and unmistakable sign by which we can distinguish a heretic, a man of false doctrine, an enemy of God, from one of God’s true friends is that the heretic and the hardened sinner show nothing but contempt and indifference for our Lady. He endeavours by word and example, openly or insidiously - sometimes under specious pretexts - to belittle the love and veneration shown to her. God the Father has not told Mary to dwell in them because they are, alas, other Esaus.

1. God the Son wishes to form Himself, and, in a manner of speaking, become incarnate every day in His members through His dear Mother. To her He said: “Take Israel for your inheritance.” It is as if he said, God the Father has given Me as heritage all the nations of the earth, all men good and evil, predestinate and reprobate. To the good I shall be father and advocate, to the bad a just avenger, but to all I shall be a judge. But you, My dear Mother, will have for your heritage and possession only the predestinate represented by Israel. As their loving mother, you will give them birth, feed them and rear them. As their queen, you will lead, govern and defend them.

Come Holy Spirit, kindle in us the Fire of Your Love. Jesus, I trust in You! O Mary, my Queen and my Mother, keep me guard me!

6 Likes

Dear CajunJoy,

Thanks for your “heart” letting us know you read and appreciated St. Louis de Montfort’s words in his treatise on “True Devotion”. I believe God inspired this saint for all those living in his own time, as well as for all of us, centuries later. His words in this treatise are prophetic. I hope you will continue to listen to the words he wrote, either continuing with these threads or even better yet, reading the whole book online or purcing your own copy – it is a relatively inexpensive paperback , or on kindle HERE

I have all three versions but I’ll take my paperback copy to Mass today and read my Consecration prayer after Holy Communion. I’ve yet to memorize it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Second reading
From the apostolic constitution Munificentissimus Deus by Pope Pius XII
Your body is holy and excelling in splendor

Thus Saint John Damascene, preeminent as the great preacher of this truth of tradition, speaks with powerful eloquence when he relates the bodily assumption of the loving Mother of God to her other gifts and privileges: “It was necessary that she who had preserved her virginity inviolate in childbirth should also have her body kept free from all corruption after death. It was necessary that she who had carried the Creator as a child on her breast should dwell in the tabernacles of God. It was necessary that the bride espoused by the Father should make her home in the bridal chambers of heaven. It was necessary that she, who had gazed on her crucified Son and been pierced in the heart by the sword of sorrow which she had escaped in giving him birth, should contemplate him seated with the Father. It was necessary that the Mother of God should share the possessions of her Son, and be venerated by every creature as the Mother and handmaid of God.”

This is the 65th anniversary of my baptism!

Peace

3 Likes

Dear hazcompat,

Blessings on this 65th Anniversary of your Baptism! Not sure if you were baptized as an infant or as an adult, but I know I was baptized on Feb 7, being born on Jan. 21 – my dear Irish Mother wasted no time in making sure I got there asap to the baptismal font of our Catholic Church.

What a glorious gift we have received in Baptism – it will take all eternity to come into the Beauty of our Union with God begun on our Baptismal day. I can hardly wait to “see” Him Face to Face and to gaze on His Beauty shining from our Mother’s Eyes on all of us.

Hopefully, you, I and many of God’s children all over the world will be renewing our Baptismal Promises by praying our prayer of Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary today after Holy Communion. Tutus Tuus!

Thanks also for sharing the words of St. John Damascene – ah, the wisdom of God’s Saints!

Born July 18, 1954 , summoned into the order of grace August 15 1954. Living under the mantle of Her Love. Totus Tuus!

Peace

1 Like

How beautiful is that!!! Thanks for sharing, dear brother in Jesus and Mary. By God’s Grace, may we ever grow more and more under Her mantle of Love, doing always the Will of Our Father — as Jesus and Mary did on this earth and are now forever with Him in heaven.

Totus Tuus!

1 Like

Yes, it is only through the help of Mary–glorious in Heaven, interceding for us constantly–that we can be Christ-like.

It’s wonderful to think of Mary in Heaven now, perfectly filled with joy, even as she constantly intercedes for us with compassion.

St. John Eudes wrote:

Thus did the glory and felicity of the Most High dwell in the Blessed Heart of the glorious
Virgin while she was on earth, but in Heaven, her incomparable Heart is so completely lost and
absorbed in the infinite glory and boundless joy of the Divinity, that this divine joy and im-
mortal glory transform it entirely and fill it with greater glory and happiness than the hearts of all
the angels and saints put together.

0 most holy Mother, my heart is transported with joy to contemplate thine own Heart so overwhelmed with grandeur and unspeakable felicity, which never shall end.
https://archive.org/stream/TheAdmirableHeartOfMaryEudes1948_201608/The_admirable_Heart_of_Mary_%20Eudes%201948_djvu.txt

1 Like

Dear patricius,

Thanks for your “heart” letting me know you listened to St. Louis de Montfort’s wisdom in today’s excerpt. Thanks also for this reply. You chose the sentence from De Montfort that impressed me in a special way too:

God the Son wishes to form Himself, and, in a manner of speaking, become incarnate every day in His members through His dear Mother.

Only the Holy Spirit could have inspired St. Louis de Montfort, to write those words. Only God’s Grace enabled him and us to begin to hear those words with the ears of our hearts! St. Louis de Montort began his treatise in paragraph #1 with similar words:

1. It was through the Blessed Virgin Mary that Jesus came into the world, and it is also through her that He must reign in the world.

He reigns in this world in every heart who with Mary, by God’s Grace, says “Yes” to God. He is inviting all to come to Him, and learn from Him as Mary did, to be meek and humble of heart. He is saying to us:

“If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it". (Luke 9: 23 - 24)

God became incarnate in Mary’s womb, by the power of His Holy Spirit, that we might receive a share in the Life of God, and become members of His Mystical Body. Baptism is only the beginning of our union with Him, we need to continue to come to Him, denying that “self” which rises up, in pride, to say “no” to the cross God offers us to take up and follow Him. We have to make the choice – we cannot serve two masters. By God’s Grace we need to say our “Yes”.

Mary said her “yes” to God when she heard Him speak through the Angel Gabriel and she said her “Yes” to all God permitted in her life, even to the death of Her Son on the Cross. Her heart was pierced spiritually as His was pierced physically for Love of the Father and for us. If He is to live in us we must be willing to follow Him as Mary did. She is both Mother of and Model for the Church. She listened to all Jesus said and did and pondered all in her heart.

Yes Mary continually intercedes for us – to follow Jesus as she did – for in Him is our Way, our Truth and our Life.

Thanks also for the quote from St. John Eudes, to whom God gave such tremendous grace to contemplate the Immaculate Heart of Mary in the Splendor of God’s Heart in heaven.

1 Like

A lot of beautiful sentiments here, OP. Thanks for starting this thread. It was our Blessed Mother and her Rosary that led me into the Church and I was blessed and thankful that I was able to celebrate her Assumption today with my parish in Mass.

I asked Father this morning after Mass to bless my copies of the Rule of Saint Benedict and the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius de Loyola. I heard the sacristan behind me tell me it was a special blessing; I figure it was because Father invoked our Blessed Mother, on her Assumption feast; in the blessing.

I was also thinking during Mass. I felt attacked by the enemy and I was moved to offer up my sufferings and my Mass intentions for a suffering Polish woman on this site.

I was also thinking of how Our Lady offers an authentic model of Catholic feminism. Our Lady is both the gentle, submissive Mother and the powerful Queen of Heaven and Mother.

Something I thought we could ponder.

2 Likes

Yes, and it is so much easier to say our “yes”, to embrace our crosses, when we are constantly depending on our Blessed Mother.

2 Likes

Amen, patricius79. Amen.

1 Like

Dear Michael16,

Welcome into the Church, the Family of God! Our Blessed Mother takes her Motherhood very seriously, and united with her Son she seeks and finds us poor sheep , to bring us home to the Father. :slight_smile:

Mary truly is Mother and Model for the whole Church, as a human person who loves totally – God, First and all others for His sake, and in a unique way conveys the “feminine genius” as Pope St. John Paul expressed it. Her gentleness and her strength are important to for all of us to ponder, as you said. Thanks for your reply.

Dear patricius,

Thanks for your continuing “yes” tp Jesus through Mary. Please let us continue to pray for one another, for the Church and for all those in most need of His Mercy, coming through the hands of our Mother Mary.

1 Like

Dear goodguy, VanitasVanitatum, Mynach, and MiserereMeiDei,

Thanks to all of you for your 'hearts" to let us know that you appreciated the wisdom God gave to St. Louis de Montfort in hhis treatise on “[True Devotion to the Virgin Mary]”(https://www.ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM). Hopefully, you all were blessed on this special Feast of Mary and will continue to grow in ever deeper love for Jesus through Mary.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.