Aug 15 Holy Day of Obligation

In regards to fulfilling the August 15th the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Holy Day of Obligation, can one fulfill the obligation by attending an evening Mass on the 14th of August (tonight) even though the evening Mass isn’t a Vigil Mass for the Assumption but a Memorial Mass in honor of St. Maximilian Kolbe?

Or does it actually have to be a vigil Mass for the Assumption that includes the readings for the vigil and the reciting of the Gloria and the Nicene Creed?

Really?
I go to daily Mass. We all have an opportunity to go to mass every day. Wonderful thing about the Church.
I think calling it that is underplaying what it is. People act like it is some burden. How sad. You know, we only celebrate like half of the Holy Days of Obligation which are prescribed in Canon Law. Others are moved to a Sunday. I wish we could go back to before Pope Saint Pius X when there were 38 Holy Days of Obligation. The fact is, it is obligatory. It is equal to Sunday. Unless the Bishops Conference got an indult to suppress or move it, you are responsible to go to Mass just like any Sunday. Every country has differences in the number or which are celebrated as obligatory. Actually in the U.S. even inside the country differs on Ascension. Case in point though, if you don’t go unless it is for a valid reason it is just like missing Sunday and you need to go to confession.

Can. 1246. §1. Sunday, on which by apostolic tradition the paschal mystery is celebrated, must be observed in the universal Church as the primordial holy day of obligation. The following days must also be observed: the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Epiphany, the Ascension, the Body and Blood of Christ, Holy Mary the Mother of God, her Immaculate Conception, her Assumption, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles, and All Saints.

§2. With the prior approval of the Apostolic See however, the conference of bishops can suppress some of the holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday.

1 Like

The obligation is to attend Mass on the day or evening preceding; it doesn’t matter which Mass is celebrated, which readings/prayers are used, or what rite of the Church it is.

2 Likes

Bear in mind that many people in many parts of the world, even the US, don’t actually have this option. Furthermore, many desire it and it’s either unavailable or they have other obligations that do not afford them the ability to go. Your statement comes across a bit too harsh to the many who, as Psalm 63 says, “pines for [God] like a dry, weary land without water” and find themselves in a drought through no fault of their own.

4 Likes

^ THIS

Back in June, I was looking for a parish to visit for First Friday Mass. All the parishes here in Morgantown cancelled Mass that day, there was a diocese wide retreat for priests apparently, and my own priest who was not going on the retreat got sick.

I looked up St. Hubert’s parish in Point Marion, PA, about 20 minutes north of Morgantown. It said on Mass Times that they had an 8:00 Friday morning Mass. I called the listed number to confirm – and got a call back that there was an 8 a.m. Mass … at their “partner parish”, Sts. Cyril and Methodius, about another 20 minutes further north. I wound up not going.

I’m going to morning Mass with 7th graders.

Here’s a tip I’ve found to be helpful when most of the priests in my diocese are on a retreat so most parishes are only offering a communion service (and no Mass) while they’re on the retreat: locate a parish that’s run by a religious order and not staffed by diocesan priests.

During retreat week, these parishes in my diocese still celebrate daily Mass because the priests that belong to the religious order usually don’t attend the diocesan priests retreat.

1 Like

Use your cell phone to locate masses wherever you are on Thursday

Yes, really.

I went to Mass for The Assumption and read the first Reading. I was scheduled to read again at this evening’s Sunday Mass when I got a message that I’d be doing the same reading I’d done on Thursday since Fr. was celebrating the Solemnity of the Assumption Mass again this evening and tomorrow morning because only a handful of parishioners had been there Tuesday (8 of us, IIRC). I thought that was strange.

He’s been in our parish 3 years now and today he mentioned that Thursday had been a day just like Sunday where we had to go to Mass. He was surprised to hear that The Assumption is not a HDO in Canada, in fact I’m not sure he believed me when I told him our only HDOs are Christmas and Mary, Mother of God.

It’s not a HDO in Canada, but I was pleasantly surprised that the noon Mass at our cathedral (downtown Vancouver) drew a huge lunchtime crowd… it was reverent and beautiful with chant, the choir singing in Latin, organ, etc… yet somehow Father still kept it to 40 minutes for the sake of people going back to work.

Not as long or solemn as the 1.5 hour high mass I’m sure the local FSSP parish had… but just perfect for the “working man” trying to celebrate Our Lady.

1 Like

An HD sans the O but still important to celebrate :slight_smile:

Every Pole worth his salt ought to attend Mass for Assumption BVM as it’s also Day of The Polish Army–99th Anniversary of The Battle of Warsaw.

1 Like

I thought that was Aug. 20th.

Memorial of St. Bernard!

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.